Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

References question

• 02-09-2024 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

I'm currently looking to leave my current job, I'm not getting on great with the people in my office (It's just not a good fit, I've tried but it's just not working out) and I'm applying for other role. I don't want to tell anyone in work I'm applying for other jobs until I actually get one and I'm ready to give my notice, is this a good idea or should I just be up front about it (I feel that would make an already tense situation worse).

My Main question is, if I use my current manager as a reference, I'd have to ask them which would tip my hand to them, but if I exclude my current manager as a reference that's also a red flag, also, is the usual procedure for contacting references before or after you're given a job offer? any advice would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Law100

Prospective employers generally don't contact your references until you've been offered a job. It varies slightly depending on whether the employer is in the public or private sector. If you're looking for jobs in the civil service then references won't be contacted until you've been offered the job. Private sector employers may vary a little, sometimes they might contact your references at the stage where they want to offer you a job. Either way I would wait to ask your current manager until you've received a job offer - you can still put their details down but don't mention anything to them until you've got an offer or you're at a very late stage in the recruitment process. They are required to give you a reference or statement of employment so there's no need to let them know until you're ready/certain that you're getting an offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

Employers normally don't expect a reference from your current employer for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

First off definitely say nothing to anyone in your current job. Even if you got on great you wouldn't be telling them.. and that's the norm, nobody ever says anything until its a sure thing and they have handed in their notice.

Secondly you put on your CV or cover letter 'references available on request' that way you retain control (again this is normal). Referees are never contacted until a job offer is made and accepted. Otherwise they'd be wasting alot of time ringing referances all over the place. You then provide, two references usually, if your current manager took it well with handing in the notice etc you could ask them would they provide a reference, if not just pick two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 splashman

Thanks for your responses, I'll keep it to myself but I'm worried that once I give my notice my manager will annoyed because I'll be leaving them in the lurch (even though I'd work my full notice, we're quite busy at the moment and it'd be hard to find a replacement) and even though you can't give a negative reference, there's things you can say and not say that can lead someone to read between the lines if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

Exactly say nothing to your current employer - In reality there is nothing to stop him giving you a bad reference and turning potential employers off you in order to keep you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement