Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceiling removal in bedroom?

• 02-09-2024 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Last year I had a mezzanine type bed installed in the front bedroom, like this:

I've had an idea rattling around in my head for a while to remove the ceiling in the room(single storey cottage bungalow) and have that room exposed to the roof.

So you've one large space from the front bedroom to the attic over it via this mezzanine.

Would be the bedroom to the right of the door at the front in the plan below.

There's a chimney breast in the centre of the house, so attic access would only be on the right side of the house. (noted green below)

So basically remove ceiling where the red square is and then turn the green section of the attic into a floored space. So the front bedroom/attic space feel like one big space, all exposed to the roof.

Was thinking we could then put a velux window in this attic space to the rear of the house.

Anyone ever had a ceiling section like this removed before and an idea of cost?

The attic beams run from the front to the back of the house. Beams would need to be cut where the red square is. (space is 3m x 2.2m )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You need to redesign the roof if you are going to cut the ceiling joists out, as these generally act as cord members to prevent the walls being pushed apart by the weight of the roof. You will also have to consider fire proofing.

Advertisement