Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-rating of courses by Golf Ireland

• 02-09-2024 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I’m a member in Killarney and our courses were re-rated last year by Golf Ireland. These changes came into operation on the first of April. They seem daft to me and most other members. They get highlighted when I go away to play other courses. 

I played Dromoland twice recently, once off the whites and once off the yellows. I’m a 6.6 index and that gives me 10 shots on Killeen whites, 8 off of whites in Mahony’s and 6 off the whites in Dromoland. To me Dromoland is at least as hard as Killeen, if not harder. I’d love to know how Golf Ireland got to these ratings. 

For anyone not familiar with Mahony’s Point, it’s a decent course but very friendly off the whites. Not super long and not much water. It is now rated harder than the white tees in Tralee, Waterville, Fota and has a very similar rating to Dooks and Ballybunion Old. 

Does anyone have similar stories from their courses elsewhere in the country?

It’s going to make a lot members artificially low and will be a major disadvantage to our inter club teams. 

Killeen

Par 72

Old rating:

Blue 75.3/137

White 72.5/130

Green 70.2/127

New rating:

Blue 76.7/143

White 74.3/138

Green 71.6/131

Mahonys 

Par 72

Old rating:

Blue 72.0/122

White 70.2/120

Green 68.4/116

New rating:

Blue 74.0/136

White 72.3/136

Green 70.2/130

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Has anything changed? Course ratings last something like 10/12 years then get redone, there a formula related to the average driving distance and forced layups, hazards, fairway width, trees etc, some of those must have changed, was the first or second not changed a year or so ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭cjfitz

Ya I think the last rating was 2012 or so. 1st green changed in Killeen a number of years ago. Just off the 6th green was flattened and is less likely to roll towards the hazard. That’s it. No new bunkers or hazards or length added. Zero changes on Mahony’s.

Maybe these are some of the first ratings done since 2012/2013 and if so, are we all going to end up with ridiculous ratings and artificially low handicaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

That's just ridiculous. I'm a member in Tralee and to say Mahonys is harder is strange. Maybe once they are all re-rated it will sort itself out. Enjoyed our exchange day on Killeen course, so nice to have 10 shots again ;)

Ridiculous is right. It’s hard to see how Golf Ireland can stand by it. Ya maybe it will balance out when they are all done, but how long will that take and imagine how tough Tralee will be rated then 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

We played both courses at killarney this time last year for the society captains day. The courses got fantastic reviews. Scoring was high. And both courses felt fair (easier than what I normally play) Mahonys in particular was forgiving off the tee and it was felt was a very good society course (ie not too hard!) After hearing the new rating off the whites, it would be the place to play for me to get my HC as low as possible as the forgiveness off the tee suits my game. Dromoland was defo way harder!

• Advertisement

I agree. I’m sure both open days are attracting people who want to jump down quickly, particularly Mahony’s off the whites. I’ve played very poorly this year and my index hasn’t really moved at all. I’d be gone up by a couple of shots if I was a member elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

It's the point I make most often in relation to the handicap system - the course ratings are a problem. And from what I can gather they're rated on criteria such as - what hazard there are and where they are, how wide the fairways are, etc. What they don't take into consideration are the scores on the courses. Until they start looking at courses and saying these scores are too good / bad for the handicaps of the lads playing, they'll always have a problem.

I definitely think links courses are a problem for them too. They have less water and trees and I suspect are a little shorter on average too. These factors translate to an easy rated course. When that is not remotely the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am not surprised that the Mahony's Point rating seems incorrect. I played an open there earlier in the year and just had a look back at the results. Half of the field shot 36+ points while a quarter shot 39+ points.

It was only the 2nd time that I have seen a PCC of -1 since WHS came in.

I agree with you and that’s what makes Mahony’s rating so bizarre. It’s wide off the tee and there aren’t a huge amount of hazards.

That’s not surprising tbh but it shows how wrong the rating is. Our teams will be crippled with artificially low handicaps. And if all courses are going to be re-rated this harshly, it’ll take years to catch up. Think Golf Ireland needs to re-think this.

• Advertisement

formatting issues 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I didn't think a negative PCC was possible. That's the only one I've ever heard of. I also wonder whether a limit of 3 on the PCC is a problem. I've seen a fair few days with only a few people getting over 30 points. The course was playing a lot harder than three shots on those days.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

PCC range is -1 (when scores were unusually high) to 3.

I've had a few -1's applied to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So most courses are going end up with bizarre ratings and Golf Ireland can’t/won’t do anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

It has something to do with GI if it's affecting its competitions. I'm pretty sure GI can have local rules as such to make WHS more applicable to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

aagree with you 100%

you did play very poorly all yr.

regards

your 4ball matchplay partner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Length is the only parameter that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

100% agree with this. Some of the ratings are just bizarre, especially links courses. Mind you, trying to come up with a single figure to rate a course is very difficult. It can be quite an individual thing. I play in two courses regularly where the one I find easier is rated 10 higher than the other - a lot of it is down to what suits me. I'm not sure what the solution is but it's a huge problem when you're playing on different courses: teams, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely agree with this. It must be so hard to come up with a universal system or universal criteria to rank a course. I'd argue its actually almost impossible. Local conditions, both weather and ground, have a such a huge bearing on how a course plays on a given day. Not sure what the answer is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Links courses seem to be a particular problem.

For example my home parkland is rated not much harder than Royal Portrush. At my parkland the only time you'll lose a ball is if you literally hit it over the perimeter fence out of bounds. Whereas at Portrush (and most links golf courses) you effectively have two out of bounds at the side of each fairway because the chances of finding your ball in the deep stuff if you miss the fairway is basically zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Links are a hoot. Was told by a member that Ballybunion (old) was rated quite low because there is virtually no water and no trees ⇒ it must be easy. Try it off the back sticks in a strong wind and see how you get on.

Using submitted scores is tricky because there is an in-built bias. You would have to use 'away' scores to come up with some sort of relative grading of courses. God knows how accurate that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I played Ballybunion from the back sticks in 2016, in a 3 club strong wind, and it's still by far the hardest round of gold I ever played. The ratings are simply daft and illogical if Ballybunion is rated low because of the lack of trees and water.

Advertisement