Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic ear plugs??

• 02-09-2024 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

So fellow shooters, I seem to have developed the dreaded tinnitus. Very bad in my left ear.

So for the coming winter of shooting I was considering looking into electronic ear plugs.

I the have peltor sporttac ear defender's, but I find them cumbersome when rough shooting, and when it's mild or warm they make me sweat like mad.

So do any of yous use a in ear plug with similar technology.

I don't want to use just normal ear plugs for safety reasons mainly. I like to be able to hear my surroundings. ie, fellow shooters maybe calling for my attention from a distance, or just something as simple as birds getting up behind me or from the other side of a cover or stuff like that.

So any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I only use "dumb" ear plugs when doubling up shooting indoors at this point, but as an alternative to solve your problem might I recommend gel ear cups for your peltors?

They(for me anyway) are a lot comfier and better sealing around shooting glasses, and don't have the sweating issue like the normal foam ones because they are a lot more adaptable to temperature differences than the insulating foam.

I think Peltor calls them "gel hygiene kits".

Bar that, and I've never tried them so no personal recommendation, but a lot of lads seem to be enamored with Decibullz.
    Again no direct experience with them but they seem to be popular.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

I use cens digital ear plugs for the last few years for clay shooting and game hunting. They cost me a few quid and are probably dearer now to be honest but well worth the investment for your ears.
    I got them off Graham Walker Hearing in cork if you want to give them a ring on a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

as expensive as custom fit ear protection are (especially electronic),they are well worth the money,they are so comfortable ,ive lost count the amount of times ive drove home from a clay shoot with them still in,

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tikka391

Thanks for the reply.

Are these the ones you mean??

CENS ProFlex DX1 Custom Shooting Earplugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

yes I believe they are the ones the newer ones are ment to be a lot better, I have 2 modes in mine game and clay the newer ones actually talk to you telling what setting your on, I’d advise anyone taking up game shooting to purchase definitely save ur hearing in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have the Peltor TEP-100 in ear which I got a few years ago which are brilliant. I use them for clay and hunting.

Only issue is that after a few hours one of my ears becomes a little bit irritated but I think that is just me, my three shooting buddies have no problems.

That said if it's very cold or I'm range shooting I wear the over ear MSA Sordins which are all day comfortable but get in the way of the gunstock with the shotgun. Still perfect and about 20 years old.

15 Years ago I got the moulded in ear ones made and they were great for about seven years but as I aged the fit began to be a bit off and they are now useless - so just be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

THESE

I use the dumb version of these for shooting and chainsaw work,[nothing like cooking the ears under Peltors while doing physical work] and they are excellent. You stick them in a cup of hot water and custom mould them to your ears.

https://decibullz.com/products/custom-molded-percussive-shooting-filter-earplugs?resultId=380458

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Insta-Mold in ear hearing protection are at Harbour House Sports Club this Saturday 14th September. They will fit you for electronic or passive ear plugs.

I have been using a pair of the passive plugs for years now and use them all the time when shooting. Far better than the foam plugs I had been using and the over ear, ear muffs that ride up off my ear from hitting the stock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have two (different) sets of Walkers in-ear types, and I'm not having the best time with them. That said, I know other folks who swear by the things.

I'm still on the hunt for something acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I have the Cens, they are expensive really worth it, especially if you rely on hearing for work etc. I have had for 6 seasons now.

I asked for mine with the attached cord and in a bright colour to protect against loss.

I still keep a backup Howard Leight impact sport which have lasted me 10 years plus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement