Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

import of a European brand car e.g. VW Tiguan from Japan vs UK - anyone got experience?

• 02-09-2024 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

family member asking me to source a car as I'd brought one in for her from UK back in '17 and it worked out very well money and condition wise. but the basic sums tell me that isn't really an option anymore post brexit, got me wondering though…where ARE secondhand cars on Irish dealer forecourts actually coming from nowadays? secondhand RHD motors can only really come from a couple of places outside of the UK really, no? Japan, SA, Aus etc. so studied JDM a bit (back in the day I recall some mates landing in nice Impreza's etc from Japan) and was interesting to see nice Audi's, VW's etc on some of the auctions.

but when all is said and done with the shipping, duties etc. is there any major savings advantage to be had out of buying likes of a fresh decent graded VW Tiguan 2019-2022 grade 4-5 or similar at Japanese auction and landing it here? or would I just be going around in circles….

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

They are coming from Japan. You’ll get one for a few thousand euros less than what dealers are charging, depending on the year and mileage.

There are still VAT qualifying cars from the UK but they are no good unless you are a dealer. You might find something up North which would be less time and hassle compared to Japan

Advertisement