Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stadium shows Ireland 2025

• 03-09-2024 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

We have Oasis for two nights in Croke Park, so that leaves 4 nights free i think?

So who will we see filling those slots (maybe Oasis x 2 more?)

And the Aviva - who are the likely candidates for there?

Eminem maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

U2 have to be a possibility, now that their Sphere residency is done

There's rumours of Beyonce touring, I assume she'd still be big enough for Croker...?

Foo Fighters may well be touring again, if we haven't had enough of them!

Linkin Park reforming with a new singer. No idea how big they'd be, but they're already into nostalgia territory. Probably depends on the profile of the singer

According to Reuters, Mick Jagger has said that the Rolling Stones are eyeing up a world tour for 2025. "We'll consider those offers, where we're going to go and where it will be fun, you know?" he said. "It could be Europe, could be South America, could be anywhere."

Dua Lipa is doing Wembley...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure how true it is but apparently GNR and Motley Crue will be touring together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Linkin Park is rumoured to be Deryck from Sum 41.

RDS gig not Croke Park I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joeymcg

RDS out of action for 2025

Marlay Park or Malahide maybe

• Advertisement

Will RDS be available? I know Leinster aren't playing there due to redevelopment this season, I think it's due to be fine by then but I wonder if promoters might hold off booking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Forgot that. Simmonscourt anyone :pac:

Yeah, park gig most likely then. I probably won't go if its a park gig; I would if it was RDS (and I'd hope nobody goes to Simmonscourt for a gig, ever again)

Yer man from Sum 41 came out and denied it

He would be decent, obviously nobody is better than Chester RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Foo Fighters I'd say. Even though it seems like they are always here I think the last time they played was 2019? 6 years ago by next year. So possibly them. If Beyonce is touring, probably her too (Although is she as big as she was? Would she be more Aviva? I genuinely don't know).

They might give it a rest a little for a year. Do one or two fewer. Either intentionally or not. Maybe hanging on for extra Oasis dates that don't manifest. I'm sure locals would appreciate the reduction for a year. But of course it's about the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Without checking, I think Paul McCartney is playing some dates in the UK next year? Might be the only act that would get me to a gig in CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Must be due to have Slane too in 2025? Wonder would the fans of any of the above trek down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I feel this whole bullshit with the Gallagher boys SHOULD have an impact on these sort of gigs. But it won't, of course. Terrible really. I have such fond memories of heading in to Croker for Simple Minds in 1986, a gang of 16 year olds. What a day. Look at the palaver these days. As soon as my young lad turns 18, I'll be packing him off to smaller venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

December this year, 2 UK arenas and 2/3 European cities.

He should be the first act at Everton's new stadium, so I'd have to Imagine an Aviva/croker show is on the cards if so.

I can't see them not riding the Noah Kahan wave and giving him Marlay at least.

Stereophonics are due their go round, could see them in RHK again.

Wouldn't complain if Kacey Musgrave got a Trinity/Iveagh gardens slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Also, should probably change the name to stadium/outdoor gigs, the likes of Marlay/Boucher aren't "stadiums" but stadium tours go there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Ed Sheeran is touring Europe from May to September next year. Could well be two Croker dates or a Slane date.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

My guess on this would be:

Aviva Stadium - Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish as the big pop act

Croke Park - possibly Ed Sheeran or Rolling Stones or Metallica???

Marley Park - Eminem, Linkin Park, Lady Gaga or Rihanna. Would love to see System of a Down.

Honourable mention - U2 for Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Billie is already playing 3 arena next summer. Rihanna will probably do Aviva again. It flopped last time but it will be 9 years since her last tour so demand will probably be there this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

There are a few "???" when people are suggesting Metallica for Croker. They could 100% do it. I was amazed just how hugely successful their Slane Castle show was.

AC/DC have a bigger legacy but it would be fair to say they have an identical fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Absolutely, they are continually selling out large stadium shows across Europe.

And I think the way Rammstein sold so well this year, it shows there is a huge appetite for heavy metal in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Suprised if Springsteen tours again and doesnt show up here for at least one show.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

A lot of acts are bypassing Ireland. Foo Fighters were at loads of festivals in Europe last summer, I went to see them in Poland, they seem to be happy to show up, play at a festival and leave, no big overhead of their own tour. Wonder will Thomond Park get any gigs next summer. 2 of the 3 concerts seemed to go down well, not sure Paolo Nutini was a big enough draw but big crowds for Snow Patrol and Liam Gallagher.

Dermot Kennedy definitely due a few shows next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

U2 for slane could be a good shout, 25 years since their last one
    would imagine foos would be more suited to marlay but wouldnt be surprised to see aviva

couldnt see metallica play croker as dont think they sold out slane, would love to see them back over here though

Paul McCartney could be a runner for Croke Park if hes touring

Fontaines will surely do a big summer show also

Would a lot of the U2 crowd be too old for Slane these days, though? 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

yea true 😂

but not many bands/acts out there now that would fill it, u2 one of a few i would say.
    they mightnt even be touring though for all i know

Not irish related but didn't expect that stat. Really thought they would of played in South America before this

https://loudwire.com/tool-south-america-tour-dates-2025/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFFNqdleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHTQ5_KDAT5E_jWfP8JyT5aEYHPu7RWP2QPCXnrge0ATNkrOpDMOwUJQr6A_aem_ohvwEj2uq6_LRiDXYZWDpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Fanirish

it’s not too many acts. Also we are a small country and do well for amount of acts we get.

No, I really can't think who'd do Slane now. But then I'd never have predicted Harry Styles doing it, so I'm sure there's someone I'm not thinking of!

• Advertisement

the Slane show lost money. Doubt mcd will risk them for an even bigger venue like Croker. Plus if they keep doing the multiple nights set up I just don’t see them coming here with that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭geographica

Will Mylie Cyrus be back touring in 2025 I wonder? She could sell out croker

thankfully Wolfe times are retiring now so no further sonic annihilation to peoples ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Advertisement

Thought I read they wished they could support Oasis.

When are they departing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Would Foo Fights sell out a stadium at stadium prices? I have my doubts. Marlay maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Wolftones are seemly approaching Oasis for a support gig. Have heard Liam and Noel talk about them before. Might not be as mad as you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'd love to see U2, but not Slane. Slane is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

72,000 attended, perhaps some were comps etc but not sure how it lost money.

Think it’d sell very well, they ultimately are one of the biggest stadium acts in the world now and one of the last big rock bands remaining really.

Aviva potentially still a better fit though currently. Especially with the 2 night thing they are currently doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hard to see U2 playing the city center unless there is a ceasefire in Gaza given their support for and investments in Israel. There would be a massive risk of protests against their business interests given they make far more money from that then their music.

Possibly Slane but most likely they will keep their heads down.

Also, The Cure were playing the same day to 20k or so i think. There would be a fairly significant crossover there i think so deffo took a few k off the Slane attendance.

The breakeven for shows is anywhere between 90% -95% sold.
    metallica audience was in the 60k range.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭colmufc

Wow, you do seem to just pull stuff out of the sky at times,

In fairness you often get things right but it's just common sense and basic math that people generally don't have the time for and simply not thinking of other aspects of putting on large scale shows but to claim 90 to 95% being what's needs to sell for mcd to make a profit from the metallica show is just downright dumb, first off over 68k paid in and a few thousand comps brought the attendees to over 72k on the day, the ticket sales are not the only revenue stream for mcd on the day, food and novelty stalls pay set rates, bars pay to be the brand and in some scenarios a cut of sales(5% OR less) is typical for bar sales.

There are more income streams besides and I can tell you now mcd did not lose money on metallica at slane

Yeah, i wouldn’t think that if MCD expected to sell 70k tickets that they would put themselves in a position to be at a loss if they sold less than 66.5k tickets (95%).

Believe the gross that day was somewhere north of €7m (obviously i guess at 100+ per ticket). Metallica’s fee is/was around the 2m - 2.5m figure so a lot left in the apple tart.

ask any promoter and they will tell you that the breakeven point for shows from olympia to stadiums is as humanly close to sold out. promoters generally make 5% profit on a standalone show. They have the cover all the costs including artist guarantees that are priced on sold out capacity.
    A Slane or stadium show only doing 80 -85% can easily result in a loss of a million or so. Whereas a sold out Slane can generate a million plus profit for the promoter from all sources.

• Advertisement
Advertisement