Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naples, Oct 2024

• 03-09-2024 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭

There are some threads on Naples, but most quite old now and I hear the city is becoming increasingly more welcoming, so maybe time for an update.

Heading there in mid-October for five nights. Herculaneum and Vesuvius would be on the itinerary, plus a couple of days exploring the city and its museums/galleries.

Anyone been there in the past couple of years and offer any advice? Haven't booked accommodation yet, but a couple of options reserved on booking.com

Grazie!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

we went November last year, here’s my thoughts having been to Verona, Venice and Rome past 2 years also ( and across Spain and Croatia)

Even in November, super busy in main streets, mopeds everywhere, don’t walk around in a daze!

We stayed in a place called Castell Dell Ovo (actually a little island across a footbridge 15 mins from main areas and the ferries to Capri, train station etc) and really glad we did. Definitely quieter and safer feeling. The streets around very center of Naples are very small and insanely busy! For that reason we skipped some of the main museums.

The main train station is only place we felt truly unsafe!! Everywhere else , yes it’s “gritty” graffiti and people are a bit edgy but it’s not like roughest parts of Dublin.

The train to Herculaneum is very cheap and great journey, didn’t do pompeii but really enjoyed herculaneum - very quiet there. Also got the ferry to sorrento one day but the weather meant cancelled on way back so luckily could get the train (same line as Herculaneum) - if we’d gone to Capri - it was a problem as flight next morning!

last: the food, I didn’t want to look at pizza for a month afterwards. It was ok but I thought other Italian cities much better and varied. But prices are reasonable. I did enjoy Naples, great experience but pick your area well, it might be worth not going very very central if you’re ok with walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Like someone mentioned, don't stay near the train station area or anywhere near the airport either… or the docks! :-D

I would recommend you stay in the Santa Lucia/Chiaia areas… some great 4 and 5 star hotels there, plus a good few private apartment options… everywhere is walkable from that area, wear good shoes… Airport bus.. Metro and regular bus options from the area or no more than about a 15mins walk to get to the stops/station.

One time I stayed outside the city and just got the train into the centre which takes about an hour, a good option if you don't fancy staying in Naples.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notfragile

I haven't been in to Naples but it sound like a great place to visit, I stumbled on this article https://gowithguide.com/blog/how-to-plan-a-trip-5-essential-steps-5730 I hope this tips will help you plan your trip. Enjoy and have fun!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Definitely don't stay near the train station. I had fellas follow me back to my hotel a few times in that area. I have done a good bit of travel and that's the only time I've ever felt a bit threatened on my travels.

Advertisement