Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Can I Set My Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Inverter to Charge and Discharge at Specific Times?

• 03-09-2024 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advise with my Solis S5-EH1P6K-L inverter. My goal is to charge my 5kWh battery from 2 AM to 5 AM and discharge it to power my house from 7 AM to 8 AM and again from 5 PM to 7 PM. The morning slot is convenient for us before heading out, since the solar panels aren't positioned optimally, and the evening slot helps manage the new "peak" tariff time we recently opted for.

I've configured the Charge Time and Discharge Time settings in the advanced menu, and while overnight charging seems to work fine, the battery discharges quickly to the grid during the specified times whereas I hoped it would only use it to power the house. I've set the discharge time back to 0 minutes temporarily to avoid this.

Is there a way to ensure the stored energy is used exclusively for powering my home during these time slots? We have a heat pump, which might drain the battery completely by 5 PM in winter. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 paddy236

I had the same usecase except I have a Sunsynk inverter.

I setup solar-assistant on a raspberry pi which is able to control the inverter settings. I used the automation feature to control when export to grid is allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, you don't need a discharge time set up until at a time you are confident the house load is minimual ie from say 10pm. We charge 2-6am then discharge 10pm-2am. Any discharge time is exactly that, and will just dump the battery to the grid, remember when the sun goes in the battery will supply the house load either untill it reahes its force disharge SOC or the house load exceeds the inverter through put ie 5Kw and the grid will then take up the slack.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I understand what op is trying to do, avoid the high peak rate on a smart plan?

Its not likely doable from the inverter itself, will need some sort of external automation to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The "Discharge" setting will not hold the battery storage back until that point. But actually just pump all your battery into the grid. Some people will "discharge" so they can "sell" that battery storage at 1:30am to then buy it back at 2am for a fraction.

If you charge until 5am it should cover use from 5 to 8am until solar starts to kick in. Evening might be a bit more difficult as the winter closes in. You could add a top up charge from 4-5 so it's a bit cheaper and will cover peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The only way to hold the charge until the peak rate is to set the charge slot from 2am and end it when peak rate begins. The solis is quite limited in this way.

Stay Free

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

Another reason to get a pi. My brother in law will be delighted 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

Thanks a million guys. I'll look into automation at a future date and I've set up the charge timer to some of the hours you've suggested. It's not exactly the same as what I wanted, but it's great to have a better understanding of the machine.

Advertisement