Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One house causing issues in new estate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

It means most people are working.

People in social housing are paying rent. Some more than others.

It's not "free"

My experience at least as a kid would be going in and out of our friends gardens on a daily basis without as much as someone batting an eye lid. Different times.

But I'm not usually found talking "firmly" to kids playing.

I'm not suggesting the cursing and littering etc is fine.

I just found it unusual that you mentioned it. It had nothing to do with what happened with the kids. Bar you wanting to paint the family in a specific light.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kindred74

I've never known it to be the case that you would go into a friend's garden and take stuff without asking when they aren't even present. Friend is also a stretch, they played football on the green in the early days.

No.

They engaged "firmly" with the kids before talking to the parents.

Now we're referring to them as a "gang"

Christ all mighty.

They had a BBQ!

I was describing the story from the start to the finish, how things started well, slowly deteriorated, and then came to a head. No more, no less.

Engaging firmly was "guys, you can't be coming me into our garden without asking us first, this a private space. You shouldn't be taking toys without asking either. In the future ring the doorbell."

But I'm on an ivory tower so what does it matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What about kids stealing? Or giving you the finger after their parents have been around to intimidate you? You're playing this a little too firmly on one side to show you have any understanding of this type of situation or the type of people involved. Your rose-tinted memories of your childhood obviously do not apply as this is unusual behaviour.

Free house is not something I've said, I realise it's not free, it's very highly subsidised though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So you say that kids from social housing never improve themselves, in general?

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

No. You wanted to paint the family in a specific light.

It has other posters referring to them now as a "gang"

It worked.

You'll get all the pats on the back you need now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Cop on, a crowd having a BBQ in a public green and not using their own garden is intimidating. Unless its an oraganised community event, it should be not on the public green.

The OP was quite correct to have a word with the light fingered kids,who went into his back garden uninvited.Its a pity the parents didnt instill some manners into them.

People cooking food is intimidating?

Unless the local busy bodies agree to cook it together?

What sort of nonsense is this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Genuine question

If no one in a family is working (or at least, not declaring income), then what rent do they pay?

and if the rent is only coming out of another govt department’s budget, then in what way is it not free?

How do you not get it, are you trolling? People having a BBQ on the public green in a small private estate and then inviting their cousins from outside the area and being loud,obnoxious and untidy is intimidating for most people but not you it seems, you must live on a half acre with no one for mlies around you.

The income threshold for Dublin household income is approx 48k depending on amount of children.

So the assumption they're free houses is incorrect. Rent is paid. Different levels depending on the income of the house.

Many people living in social housing are hardworking law abiding people.

If you never worked a day in your life (which I agree, shouldn't be allowed to happen,assuming you're capable) an argument can be made that it's "Free"

Lives on 1.5 acres and smokes cigars and drinks whiskey, then accuses me of being on an ivory tower for wanting to keep my semi D back garden private.

What I don't get is. What people eating on a public green has to do with the kids in the back garden?

Why was it even brought up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But it is allowed to happen, so lots of people are getting free houses. There’s no argument, it’s fact.

Yes, lots of people in social houses are decent hard working people. No one has said otherwise.

Ah,

So you're a nosey curtain twitcher

It's starting to make a lot of sense now :)

It's not a fact social housing is free.

You're suggesting if you have never worked, and no one works in the family it's free.

There's an argument that's true.

But social housing is not free.

The more pertinent question is,why have a BBQ on a public green when you have a back yard? also why defend your children when you know they were in the wrong by trespassing on other peoples property?

• Advertisement

If kids in their friends garden is trespassing shrug

What an insulting thing to say,man wants to enjoy the house that he paid FOR and you insult him.

I was referring to their investigation into my interests on boards.

But feel free to get offended.

Definitely a troll,they went though a closed gate and took items without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Looks like these social welfare lads are living rent free in peoples heads too 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

”Correcting” other peoples kids with “stern words” or even assertive language is fraught with difficulty these days and probably best avoided - better to secure the access to back garden so they couldn’t enter it again -while many parents would be mortified if their kids were upsetting other neighbours, some won’t give a sh1te and others will take any correction of their kids very much to heart - you won’t know who’s who until then so sometimes it’s best not to find out, no matter how much you’re in the “right”

• Advertisement

It is relavant though, you're suggesting I should be comfortable with strange adults congregating on a green that's intended for children to play on, and allow people into my garden willy nilly. All from the comfort of your 1.5 acres. You're in a place far more privileged than I, talking to down to me about my behaviour and chastising me for being snobbish. Maybe gift some of your 1.5 acres to the council for housing, seeing as you know what's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

IT'S the same as confronting a bullies parents, they'll very rarely apologise and say they shouldn't have done that, it's not off the ground they licked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mykrodot

the irony of "certain posters" here suggesting the OP shuts up and puts up and allows all and sundry set up BBQ's on the green, steel his kids toys and give them the 2 fingers through the window! All the while said "certain posters" sitting in their detached private bungalow in a big private garden, smoking cigars, sipping port and whiskey and following up with coffee from their designer coffee machine!

YES plenty of us will check a poster's style of posting when they suspect a troll. Deal with it, suck it up (just like you have suggested to OP).

The OP has posted in good faith, has a record of posting very honestly about very difficult subjects that have affected his family. The least he deserves is genuine and helpful answers. Social media and online posting should come with a health warning these days!

(right now in the background Minister Stephen Donnellly is talking on Newstalk about tacking social media companies about online bullying and trolling creating mental health difficulties)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Any chance OP can contact a local councillor to lobby the council to address the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭byrne249

Ah no I got the joke alright, I was too busy having flashbacks of the horror, the horror, to appreciate it though, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mcgragger

Sounds like my old neighbours that moved about 6 months ago.

A shower of dirty bastards I've never come across in my life.

They tried intimidating me and got told in no uncertain terms that they'd get it back 10fold off me.

They have about five or six young kids and a couple of older ones. Parents are vile freeloaders, social services were up every second day, police etc.

They never changed until they left and god love their new neighbours

Stand your ground

Record everything in writing

Let nothing go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

social housing (not HAP supported people) is far closer to free then to market rents. It’s absolutely accurate to call it basically free.

It’s an absurd policy lumping in the work shy hobos of society with people who likely have to work two jobs in the family and send the kids to crèche(also paid for by them). Let’s not even talk about the work but in to actually buy or rent the house.

I feel for the OP, but it’s a result of this stupid policy.

Please note the disabled and elderly(pension age+) are not included in that grouping and deserve the best help we can give them.

What do you suggest the OP should do? They haven’t done much “wrong” so far in dealing with the kids and have already got dogs abuse in return - hindsight is a great thing but they are where they are now -but if they start telling people to leave the green and stop BBQing - on their own- they’re bringing a whole more heap of trouble on them -the only way to solve this is with the cooperation of the other neighbours - if they’re not in agreement and willing to support then my advice is either move or keep a low profile - the neighbours will be all too willing to allow one person in the estate to suffer all the abuse if they gain a quiet life - you’d be surprised just how cowardly and selfish neighbours can be when it comes to these situations - this is speaking from extensive experience on a variety of personal and 3rd party experiences similar to this one albeit it was unruly adults I and others were dealing with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm in my 50s and even when I was a kid it would be seen as weird to go into a friend's back garden if they weren't with me, and that was on a council estate so no ivory tower **** there. We'd be quickly told to ring the bell around the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OP, with winter coming the kids will be in doors more and the BBQs (on the green so they don't mess up their garden) will also stop. Reading between the lines, these are class of people who simply will never care what you think. Their kids will get pleasure in causing as much trouble for you as possible. CCTV up but I'd start looking for new house while you can. Anything can happen that could stop you moving; you could have to change job, are recession, half your neighbors would sell before you do and it will be flagged on the property price register While you can start looking. If word gets out that it's not a good place to live you'll find it hard to sell your house. Where ever you move to make sure there aren't problems there too.

In the mean time keep your head down hopefully somebody else crosses them and they lose interest in you.

totally - back gardens were treated as part of the house - you got “invited” in

Im in my 30s and we had holes cut in the hedges of everyones back garden so we could move between 4 houses without ever going onto the main road, this is the countryside where every house was on an acre or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How about going around to their back garden and lifting a few things?

That definitely happened a few times. Friends dad was a carpenter and we "borrowed" some supplies to build a tree house.

But that behaviour is all ok, because my parents had a mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭slystallone

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Kids will be kids, but their parents response was not good.

Keyword there is 'friend.'

Anyway, I'd rather not have people I barely know coming into my garden and taking things without permission. Mortgage or no mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ref low scale stuff as you describe it,it's not

Its ppl liberties,

This will increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

a lot of people in social housing are miles behind in their rent, and still continue to live rent free, they are given access to a property far above their means and instead of settling in and getting on with life, they begin to drag the place down to their level.. I have seen this first hand, a lot of the owners have and are selling up… Social housing in private complexes does not work,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Deeec

Right some people just dont deserve to be housed. Council tenants that cause anti-social behaviour, engage in criminal activity or who dont look after their property should just be evicted and have no further help from councils or housing agencies. They should be blacklisted and left homeless. This threat hanging over them would soon have them behaving with respect towards their neighbours and others. At the moment they know they are untouchable and they can literally do anything and get away with it - thats the problem - the council or gardai wont deal with them.

Good people should be housed and bad tenants should be evicted - thats the only way to change behaviour. The idea that everyone deserves a home is nonsense.

No it's not relevant.

You came up with a back story about your neighbors and how they (oh the horror) had a BBQ on a public green to paint a picture about them.

Someone takes you up on it and you then try and paint a picture of me to invalidate the point.

Whatever makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Really I was kind of bringing up the problems of creating sink estates

And you need an income of 100 grand a year or so to buy a family house,( 2.5 times main income ,plus 1 second income -may have changed )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Sorry, Where is all this trolling I'm supposed to have done?

I'm such a rare breed.

Enjoying a decent coffee.

Someone ring the council.

• Advertisement

It's not close to free.

You're referring to people not working.

I'm referring to those out doing a hard days graft and paying rent in social housing.

That's not free.

Compare it to anything you like.

It's not free.

Advertisement