Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One house causing issues in new estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kindred74

You can keep misrepresentating it as a single innocent bbq if you want. It's relavant to the story because our children are afraid to play on their green now.

I'm not painting a picture of you, I'm describing your life in your own words. You live on a 1.5 piece of land, filled with rabbits frolicking, and you enjoy cigars and whiskey. While you're doing that, the rest of us are trying to make ends meet, and live a modest life in peace and quiet. Post your eircode and maybe you can host some innocent bbqs. You've plenty of room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

You said your kids were afraid to go out when the other kids are playing.

Not that they had some weird tick to people cooking food on a green.

What has enjoying a cigar got to do with anything. The government aren't paying for it. So you should be delighted.

I wasn't the one in your back garden. Chill out.

I've never said anything against social housing in any of my posts. More of your lies.

The first line you mentioned they were living in a council house.

Again. Not relevant to your "complaint".

But it adds some color to the strange picture you wanted to paint.

I guess you said it as a compliment.

Because there are different processes to follow for anti social behaviour in council housing so of course it's relavant. I wanted to see if people had experience with it.

• Advertisement

If you used a bit of common sense and didn't over react you wouldn't need any processes to follow.

I didn't overreact in the slightest, and I don't really care about your opinion. You're in an ultra privileged position that the vast majority aren't. You have nothing of value to add.

You don't want anyone's opinion. You want an echo chamber to tell you how the bad bad council house outdoor eating dross is and how right you were.

Anything else will be dismissed based on the quality of coffee drank by the poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

OP, is it a new estate, has it been taken over by the council yet or is there a management committee? You need to find out who owns the green space and if there are any conditions to it's use.

Not agreeing with your neighbours' behaviour at all, but while you say the green space is intended for kids to play, if its a communal / community amenity it could also be said that it's for adults to use too.

I also think its crazy you didn't have your gate locked! That's inviting trouble, but hopefully a secure lock (and a camera) will resolve that part of your issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

look, if your one of the few geniune people close to the threshold limitation and have a partner not working to stay under that threshold then all the power to you - however let’s get very real here the vast majority of social housing is not occupied by people like that.

And let’s stop pretending that council Rents are anything like private market rents.

DCC look for 15% of the highest earners income as rent - if you are earning the threshold max that would be 6k a year or 500pm - vs a young couple who will pay what? 2400 now per month for the exact same house if they can even find one?
    And that’s Max - so if your earning 20k it’s 250 per month… maybe my calculations are wrong, I’d love to be to be honest.

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/housing/i-rent-my-home/i-rent-city-council/rent-and-rent-arrears

That’s if they bother to pay rent at all sure:

They also have to pay for their electricity and likely didn’t get 6 panels slapped up or an air to water heat pump at the cost of the tax payer.

Please don’t take any of this as an insult or an attack on your personally, more power to you if it’s similar to your situation! But the system is unfair when viewed from the perspective of someone who has to go to college/learn a trade save for a mortgage, get said mortgage, purchase property and then get lumped in with a tosser who tells his kids to “f the neighbor next door” because they made a basic request not to rob his kids toys.

• Advertisement

What's been portrayed is that social housing is free.

It's not.

Do some people in social housing fall into arrears?

Sure.

Is anyone suggesting it's the same as market rents?

No.

Is there arguments to suggest it's an unfair system?

Sure.

Is it free housing?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Been there. Feck all you can do. It is the risk with new builds.

The way i looked at it is that you can only plan for 5 years at a time. Enjoy your new home, your first home most likely. Enjoy your family. But take a look around when you are up on 5 years. At that time you will have all your cash backs etc and should have built up some equity to cover the cost of moving and a good chunk besides.

Having bought in this new area now will enable you to buy in a more established area (with kess risk of such neighbours) a little further down the line.

And i know we like to think we have moved away from the concept of starter homes but when you have scenarios like this alongside the fact we are 20 years behind on supply meaning ever increasing prices, trading up will continue.

You don't want your teens hanging around with these scrotes I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Blaming the OP for not locking his garden gate is a bizarre way to look at this. Why should he/she have to? Why is the victim the one at fault?

Nobody wants to buy their own home and immediately start thinking about CCTV.

THE PROBLEM IS THE NEIGHBOURS

Some absolutely mental stuff trying to defend the indefensible on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

All the overreaction is on you,the OP has you sussed.None of the mundane petty housing estate problems for you.

w

okay - can we call it extremely heavily subsidized housing then? Instead of I pay my rent? Because it’s really only a very small portion of rent … if it’s paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep, second hand homes can be much better value in this regard because you can buy into an older estate which is 100% privately owned.

You very rarely get 100% privately owned new build estates now, because the council dont build their own houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Time to ignore that poster, thats a troll, walter mitty tendencies as well.

Did you miss the part where I said I do not agree with the neighbours behaviour at all, before you went off on one?

I'm not blaming the OP for not locking their gate, but it seems ridiculous to me that anyone would leave the entrance to their back garden unsecured. It's a basic security measure. And yes, i think most people do consider security measures as soon as they move into a new home. A padlock on a garden gate is basic, and plenty have wi-fi cameras or ring doorbells now as well.

Hopefully the back garden access part of the OP's problem is now resolved, at least.

It would have normally have been open during the day when someone was here, coming and going betting bikes and putting them back etc.

But it's locked all the time now.

• Advertisement

My mam always used to say "an unlocked door is an invitation!"

Get the cameras too, if you don't already have them. I have ring spotlight cameras, but I believe they Eufy ones are as good, and a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Rent is only 45 Euro a week out of 450 dole for a couple with 2 kids - 10% of their dole ( free money ) to pay for as good as free house . Many of the council tenants won’t even pay the 45 Euro as nothing will happen them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I would have agreed with you at one point, but the state is not going to resolve these issues. Indeed, it is actively creating problems through policy. If there are no solutions to be had from the authorities, then people will have to settle matters for themselves. Now, let me be clear, I am not proposing anything illegal, so let no one suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

The first line of your second paragraph is your starting point, following by reporting trespass to your local Garda station.

You can call it anything you like. As long as it's not free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Long bladed kitchen knife, 2 pick axe handles, hammer with four 2 inch screws welded to the face of it, slash hook, golf club, a pitch fork.

And 19 petrol bombs in the car.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Where are all these long term dole heads?

Long term unemployment is running at about 1% A record low.

Social housing threshold is 48k in Dublin with two kids.

Why are you giving an example of a social housing situation where no one works?

What about the ones out grafting? paying their rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

yep it’s a very expensive process to move and actually buy a house less the mortgage and deposit itself. Nothing something you can just trade back in like a car you don’t like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I was going to post something similar. From following this thread and from own experience, neither AGS or the County Councils want to do anything about this type of situation . So it will be left to individuals themselves .

With the passage of time most issues resolve themselves but not this one. Older members of this minority eventually mature and mellow and there would be an expectation that the next generation(s) would be easier to deal with .In a lot of cases, that doesn’t happen and that is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you need to find a community leader who the parents will respect, and get that leader on your side, and have them tell the parents to stop the kids from messing with you.

One option is to find a local politician from a party who are known for being tough with people who step out of line. If you cannot think who I mean, maybe have a chat to your other neighbours to see who locally might fit the bill.

There are other people than politicans. Can be local sporting hero, a community garda (if you've got a really good one), possibly a priest. Or maybe just a particularly big lad who everyone respects. The challenge is to find someone, and then leverage the relationship.

Council officials are very unlikely to be able to help, because they lack any real power: even troublesome people have to be housed.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rowantree18

Put the house up for sale. Sell it to the council if necessary. Do what you need to do for your own family. Don't listen to do-gooders. No matter what this family do it would take years for the council to evict them.

Get out. ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rowantree18

Social housing IS free if you're paying the very minimal rent from your social welfare money, which you did not work for, ie. free money......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

I used to hangout and play handball and fight with them a fair bit when I was younger

The only thing they respect is a lack of fear ime

• Site Banned Posts: 12 giddyuprdat

They don't care about your boards.ie advice and will genuinely laugh off all the "prim & proper" advice you get on here.

They are getting the house for nothing with 0 repercussions for any behavior they know well they ll have to be housed and can act with impunity even if you ring the guards how many times are you going to call them ? They wont be able to do anything and will cite it as a "civil matter".

You have 2 realistic options.

1. Sell your house and move.
    2. Fight back, get down to there level and beat em there, give it too em!.

I can tell you now from growing up in a council estate that these people aren't one bit phased by the guards or drama infact the opposite, a lot of the "proper folk" from proper backgrounds on here haven't a clue what there talking about and there advice would be laughed out of these estates, these people are simply above the law and immune to social norms.

They have no value in there house like you have in yours because they know they can demand another one in the morning and because our bleeding heart nation of do gooders will provide they simply live without repercussion free to act anyway they see fit.. worst case scenario day in court suspended sentence… and back with a vengeance .

This is what tolerance and equality and a bleeding heart mindset have gotten us in this country.

Side note on the kids, they will absolutely bully your kids and make there lives miserable more than likely encouraged by there parents or influenced by there negative view of you and as you can guess they too don't see much discipline so they ll do as they like.

I dont envy you.

• Advertisement

delete

The thing that grinds my gears no end with social housing is they dont do background checks or incentivise people to be good citizens. The first and foremost thing that should be done with social housing is anyone with a criminal record is banned from getting one i mean proper scumbags that never contribute anything and if you have destroyed a previous house given you are completely banned for life.

They give some of the nicest span new houses to the lowest of low scumbags, they should be way down on any list due to criminal records ect and upstanding citizens with genuine need delibrately put ahead of them.

Critieria should be as follows for top of the list.

Irish

Not a scumbag

once those are housed on to

Refugees or immigrants

not a scumbag

Then onto

Scumbags for whats left.

The bottom 2 categories can strive to be in cat 1 tis achievable for all.

Instead of the oooh everyone is equal and has to be treated fairly nonsense, some people are **** and should be treated accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thereiver

The safest option is to buy a house in an old estate where the council is not likely to buy an old house even if it's the same price as buying a new house my advice is to have a meeting with the neighbours to see is there a solution or some common approach to this instead of trying to solve it in your own

My friend lives in an old council estate where everyone bought the house from the council and it's quiet as there's no one left under the age of 30 people that paid for the house tend to be more responsible and civic minded

Most antisocial behavior is done by young bored teens

Disagree boxing is a great sport, very important for children to be able to defend themselves, alot of people are raising victims and crying after poor Timmy is getting tormented and crying to "ban bullying" lol delusional.

What background check was required here?

Do you or anyone related to you cook in open public spaces?

Have you or anyone related to you ever cursed in public?

Has any of your children entered a friends garden without a prior appointment?

Get off the stage ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think you need to get off the stage you clown.

Its clear from the op's post that their neighbours are causing hassle and that its only going to get worse. They shouldn't have to feel intimidated and just have to put up with whatever this crowd wants to do next. They bought their home through hard work and should be entitled to peaceful enjoyment of their home and that includes common areas in the estate.

Most people with common sense wouldn't set up a BBQ and invite a crowd to a common area would they. Good parents would be annoyed if their kids were entering others property and causing annoyance or being rude to neighbours. Its clear the ops neighbours are ignorant scumbags.

They probably have history of the doing the same somewhere else and council just moves the problem on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

Don’t mind the OP. They are like these Hollywood stars lecturing us on how we should behave to combat climate change while they take thei private jet to go to a basketball match.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Olympush

You have my sympathy OP. We were in a similar situation 10 years ago & found there was no help whatsoever out there. Antisocial behaviour officer from the local council promised a quick solution but delivered absolutely nothing despite being given video evidence. Guards didn’t want to know (even though there was intimidation). Eventually sold up and moved on for our mental health and that of our young kids. All I can say is tread carefully as it doesn’t take much for these people to escalate the situation.

You need to avoid getting personal.

The only thing that's clear is they made a poor decision talking "firmly" to her kids friends.

If there's clear "rules" around not having a BBQ in the public area that's a side issue.

They've been called a "gang" a "crowd" they invited their family to a common public area for a BBQ.

It's not clear at all that they're scumbags.

It's not clear they have "previous"

You're making a lot of assumptions.

Rightly or wrongly. A lot of parents "these" days don't take kindly to other parents talking "firmly" to their kids.

It's an area that requires a very delicate hand and a bit of common sense.

The OP made a balls of it.

Anyone who genuinely thinks the OP is even partly at fault is fortunate enough never to have been in a similar situation, or is the sort of person who’d let their kids make the neighbours’ lives a misery and just laugh it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I have a question for the Internet.

I only want answers from people exactly like me who would act like me and see this in my limited world view.

Anyone else is as bad as the bad bad people in the council house and their kids probably run riot.

What are you 12?

Bizarre. the only facts we have are what the OP has told us, that is all we have to go on.

You have invented a completely different story where the hard-working, salt of the earth, decent skins are victimised by the snobby neighbours who don’t want anything to do with them. You literally came up with an entirely new story and then set about abusing the OP for his part in it.

Why you’re doing this, I’m not sure, but it’s very strange.

I never stated they were hard working.

I never stated they're salt of the earth

I never suggested they were decent skins.

All we know about the parents is they had a BBQ. Cursed :o and didn't take kindly to another parent talking "firmly" to their kids.

So the only strange thing is everyone else filling in the gaps because they heard council house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The best method of getting rid of these people is providing them with an honest days work, watch them run

• Advertisement
Advertisement