Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overview of charging providers and available payment methods

• 04-09-2024 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere, either on here or elsewhere, an up to date overview of all the charging providers in Ireland with payment methods (contactless/app/card) and rates?

I'm getting a BEV next week after a few years with a PHEV, and am finding the plethora of providers a bit overwhelming. I probably won't be using public chargers that much, maybe 5 or 6 times a year, so cost possibly isn't a major driver in all this, but what would be the minimum number of different accounts/apps I would need to avoid being ripped off too much by paying "cash"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've yet to find a good one, this is one that I've found but it recommended Shell Recharge which worked exactly 0% of the time in my experience

https://allchargecards.com/

In general for Ireland ESB Ecars, Easygo and possibly Tesla and Ionity are the most worthwhile apps

Circle K and Applegreen both accept card. I believe Applegreen is slightly cheaper with the app but it's up to you whether you want another app and account for a few cents

Thankfully card payments are becoming more common so the need for apps will hopefully die out in the next couple of years

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have a PHEV which I charge at home so have never needed to public charge. A big blocker for me in getting a full EV next time round is the charging network. I get the app thing, to a certain extent. I presume it really helps to know if there are chargers on route and if they are working or busy. However, it does seem to lead to this need for multiple apps for each company's offering, different ways of using the chargers as well and it all adds to the general confusion (genuine or perceived) over EV ownership and changing.

The way forward should be that every charger must accept debit \ credit cards so anyone can just turn up and use them straight away. You could still have an app account and maybe get a few cents off for loyalty etc. but no debit \ credit card access should really mean no planning permission !

I don't need a specific app or card to use a particular petrol station and they all accept the same payment cards. If there is a real seriousness about getting people to move to EV (i.e.to use charging stations instead) then they need to be just as accessible and also simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree. Card payments should be available everywhere by default, with the option of using an app or card to get a small extra discount if you want to, a bit like the discount cards provided by the fuel companies.

That site doesn't include Ireland in its list of countries covered unfortunately.

I agree with this, however I would say we're further along than most people seem to think

Circle K in particular seem to be rolling out chargers at a fast pace which all have debit card readers

Maxol are also debit card only, no app

Ecars have finally pulled their heads from their arses and started putting card readers on their newer hubs. Hopefully the older ones get upgraded soon

Even Ionity have apparently installed a card reader at Kill and hopefully install them at other sites soon

I don't mind the app if I'm frequently using a network and there's a discount or subscription option available. However for occasional users I wouldn't bother, even if it does cost a bit extra every so often

• Advertisement

Yes you're right, I forgot that I was looking for charging cards for Europe when I used that site

Maybe the guy who made Energypal can put something together

Certainly I wouldn't be too hopeful about bonkers or switcher getting on it anytime soon, they seem to have their heads stuck in the past

I did not realise that the option to use a debit \ credit card was that far along. Definitely will influence me more positively when I go to change. Personally, if I go full EV, I only would see a need for me to public charge 5 or 6 times per year so really just want a simple pull up, plug and pay solution rather than a load of apps and swipe cards to over complicate things.

If I was doing regular big distances, I'm sure there are savings and benefits with the apps and no doubt I'd get used to using them and the different charger set-ups.

So, which providers do I definitely need an app or card for right now? Only ESB and Ionity? What about Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

From the question I realise you don't own one so yes you need the app. At least until V4 arrive in Ireland.

I must be the only one who actually prefers the app insead of tapping the bank card to some unknown yoke in the middle of nowhere. The app will provide me timming, pricing, measurements ref power energy used. I loved elli as I had monthly billing and usage history is a bonus. We pay 000's for a phone which can store/stream videos play games but are affraid to install an app whcih provides convenience? I would have loved to have an app which would let me pay for petrol back in the day

I don't have anything against the apps, I just prefer having the choice. I've probably used public charging a record high number of times this year (7) so it's just not worth the hassle of downloading the app and registering a new account for every charger I come across

The apps are very handy for checking status, but as I keep banging on about a live display at the entrance would be as helpful and doesn't require any distractions of using a phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Personally I use plugshare app to find the chargers then use associated app to activate and pay.

In terms of cost not an issue Ionity is good but expensive.

However even if cost is not an issue there are lots of parts of the country where there is none or one provider in a town or area so it makes sense depending on where you are going to from to use them. In sobe areas there is nothing so planning ahead on longer trips is a must. It's less of an issue with big battery EVs and more options these days but beware many sites have a single unit and there may be queues at peak times such as Friday evening. To avoid queues book a hotel with an overnight charger, avoid sites with a single unit and stop early so if site is busy you have enough range to make to to the next site. Chargers can be broken too for days, weeks or months so that's a risk if you don't plan. Actually paying and installing an app is less of an issue but if you sign up before you leave home and practice on local chargers it's less stress on long trips.

In my case, it's not fear of installing an app. It's multiple apps and inconvenience. The process is just too messy.

I hear you though and I too would have used an app where I could get petrol instead of using a bank card. Not sure there's one of those either that works for every petrol station. The point is that I can use any debit / credit card in every station. That's the point and i believe a major weakness of the charging network at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭prosaic

With Ionity and Tesla, I like that I can be eating in the cafe and check the state of charge and decide when to go unplug.

I liked the subscription options that gave considerable discounts and you could easily discontinue them each month.

Having a bunch of apps/cards gave me qualms at first but now, I just don't mind at all now.

Apps allow retention of charge history and costs which is useful. The charger id is in the app too so you can contact help desk if you think the machine needs a reset (only ESB really, I've found).

You just get used to it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I have used public chargers 15 times in Ireland so far this year, with several trips from Cork to Antrim and Donegal in an 58KWh Ioniq 5, I have used exclusively Tesla, Ionity, Applegreen and Ecars for charging, nothing else, I find those 4 providers will get me anywhere in Ireland.

In terms of reliability, I only failed to initiate charging a single time at an Ecars charger in Limerick, it was a hub of 8 chargers so I just went to the next charger.

I see how the apps for each providor might benefit those who regularly charge publicly.

My Kia app tells me when the car has charged and other info so I don't need another app for each individual charger system to see that.

I just think the charging network should be as easy to use as possible.

Everything has to have an app and be extra complicated these days. That does not necessarily mean better.

If buy in from the majority of the driving public is really desired then anyone should just be able to turn up at any charger location, plug in and pay with a debit / credit card.

I'm glad that it seems to be going that way. If I do change to an EV I'll probably just avoid locations where that isn't a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

I think there's EU legislation that requires providers of new chargers to provide contactless payment options.

I'm not sure what the timeline is for this but most new chargers I have seen this year seem to have a contactless payment option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

They should be told to advertise their prices as well on the charging unit

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭crl84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think this is a good opportunity for the Irish (or EU) government to step in and set up their own app solution in exchange for the grants they hand over to CPOs

One app for all networks that want public funding and the price is the same as what you pay through their apps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

MSP e-roaming is the solution not one more app. I'd agree it should be mandated at an EU level for the purposes of cross border mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

All chargers deployed from 13th of April 2024. With a requirement for retrofit of payment terminals for early chargers by the 1st of January 2027.

From 1 January 2027, operators of recharging points shall ensure that all publicly accessible recharging points operated by them, with a power output equal to or more than 50 kW deployed along the TEN-T road network or deployed on a safe and secure parking area, including recharging points deployed before 13 April 2024, comply with the requirements set out in points (a) or (b).

I'd settle for an Irish level at the moment. The reason I want it to be govt or EU mandated is so it can be free for the CPOs and therefore the same price will be charged regardless of what method you pay the CPO

MSP e-roaming could work similarly but you would never get price parity

I think Portugal has something along those lines, the reason I prefer e-roaming vs a mandated app is that it allows different operating models, a bit of competition in the pricing models would likely see products suited for different use cases (such as weekly charging vs occasional usage) that I think would be missed by a mandated EireCharge.

What we probably need is a collectively run middle layer that arbitrates between CPO's and MSP's similar to how EireGrid sit between electricity generators and consumer supply companies.

What's your thinking regards price parity, for me at a minimum it should be that regulated that a charge point operator can't charge MSP's more than the walk-up price to access their charge points.

I'm not sure we're seeing any MSPs charging more than the walk up price, but we're definitely not seeing much in any way of discounts for one MSP

This is partly why I think the idea of using apps or charging cards for walk ups if going to fail long term. At least for DC charging, AC is probably another question

Where they're more useful is for things like fleet management or paid plans where you get a discount on the charging rate

This is pretty similar to the current model of most petrol stations, there's the basic rate where you get a certain price but there's also fuel cards which sometimes give a discount

The key difference is that for petrol stations it's all about increasing footfall in the shops. The same then applies for their own charging networks, but for Ecars or Ionity the only profit is from selling electricity, so why offer other MSPs a discount

What's your thinking regards price parity, for me at a minimum it should be that regulated that a charge point operator can't charge MSP's more than the walk-up price to access their charge points.

Price parity might be the wrong term… My thinking is that if you rock up to a charge point there is one app (or access card) to use and that gives you the same rate of using the CPO's app. Your idea of MSP e-roaming, whereby you rock up to an ecars charger, open the Plugsurfing (or whoever) app and pay for the charge at the same rate as the ecars app would give similar results of one app for all charging stations

Weev pricing update, effective from midnight last night, think there's a 3c/kWh saving on the 50kW+ chargers

Advertisement