Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locking barriers

• 04-09-2024 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭

have ordered new diagonal barriers here for a new tank but after being in a neighbours yard this morning and him saying how much he uses his locking barriers I’m wondering should I put these in on the new tank instead. He says they’re a big labour saving for them.
    Scanning, tb testing and reading, tail clipping, vaccinating, pour ons
    Are they a big labour saver for those that have them or not? We have none currently.

Locking barriers 6 votes

Put in Locking Barriers
    66% 4 votes
    Stay with the Diagonal barrier
    33% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CCM

I've sucklers here and have them in 6 or 7 years. Use them for dosing, testing, tail clipping and AI and for anything else you'd want then held for. Also catch the cows in them to separate the calves if I've anything to with them either. Leaves handling stock a lot safer too imo. Wouldn't be without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I put them in a few years back when my crush facilities were not great. They will do all you say above but an advisory... TB testing is dangerous in them and my vet nearly broke a wrist on a few occasions, as cow sets back too far when you go at her head and you can't get at neck. Tail clipping yes but need a cordless as the yard will be too dirty to run leads. And then you can get the odd first calver who will escape and you have to run them to crush. I would put the money into a batch/ Ai race instead and you will never use the locking barriers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

They are a disaster no good for anything except making noise

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭grass10

Had them in years ago threw them out total waste of money all cattle handling can only be done safely in a crush the only use they are for is locking them when you put in silage to stop animals putting out their heads when you use a shear grab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Cosnet ones here for past 12 years, no complaints, no noise either, agree with CCM post above. Just don't forget to release them, can happen if retrieve a newborn from slats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

My vet doesn't like testing in them. After using head scoop I wouldn't entertain giving cows a bolus or dose down the neck in them. Not ideal for pour-on either. Hard to beat an ordinary crush for safety when AIing imv. Herringbone maybe for big numbers. Maybe in a calving pen they would come in handy an odd time. What are they like if a cow goes down while locked in? You can clip tails in the parlour handy enough aswell. Do cows get wise to them after a while? Say if you test on Monday and annoy them would they all be as handy got in to read on Thursday? Or would you still have to get a few out to the crush?

What is your current set up like crush wise?

Also you didn't put straight barrier in the poll. Iv only straight barriers here. Cheap and cheerful never had much bother bar a couple of ancient ones I replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭ginger22

They make life very easy the day of the TB test. Wouldn't be without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

have a decent crush beside the parlour. 7 years old. Holds 12, a head scoop would be a good addition. Usually test, vaccinate at milking time and cows enter crush as they leave the parlour. Can slow down milking but at most it’s about 30 minutes extra

I do need a drafting gate so maybe that would be a better to keep the money and put it towards sorting that out

Have all diagonal barriers atm and happy with them. Not fond of straight rail, have seen in places where it’s at the wrong height cows get deformed neck where I they’re pushing on the rail. All bales here aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Do buffer feed with bales if needs be but mostly pit so doesn't affect me as much. Seem to be a very marmite thing really! If you've a good crush coming out of the parlour there isn't much benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

have them… never use them for any testing scanning etc.. thats all done as cows are being milked… but id still prefer to have them than not have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 p dogg

I'm actually in decision making time aswell, have to replace 2 diagonal feed barriers in one of our sheds and was thinking of the locking barriers aswell but have no experience with them, I believe they can be noisy but the shed is at an outfarm so shouldn't be an issue, also my Dad who is in his seventies does double and treble suck with a few freshen cows, I thought they might be handy for this aswell. Has anyone a rough price on what they are, I imagine they are expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Just make sure you have an escape route as you won't fit through them, or climb them.

Advertisement