Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel corsa overheating

• 04-09-2024 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Coolant starts bubbling at 104 degrees but fan doesn't kick in....... Checked fuses and fan and seem OK. Any ideas what the problem could be... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭GavPJ

How old is the Corsa?

If you know where the engine temp sensor is, unplug it and the fan should come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

head gasket failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

There should be a thermo switch screwed into the bottom of the rad with probably 3 wires, one will be common, one of the others will run the fan on low speed when the switch closes, if the temperature goes higher, the other wire will run the fan on high speed, just remove any one of these wires and connect it to the common, the fan should run, if it does run, probably the thermo switch.

Post edited by John.G on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Going through something similar at the moment with my Vectra, might be a similar engine (Z16XEP)? Thermostat seized closed causing coolant to overheat, symptom was bubbling coolant and cold radiator, is your radiator cold? Temperature never appeared to go above 95 for me. Mechanic confirmed head gasket has failed by testing for exhaust gases coming through the coolant tank, that might be the source of the bubbling if the coolant isn't actually boiling.

Trying to figure out what to do, Steel Seal is an option, my guy threw some in but coolant still bubbles over for any journey over 20 minutes. He says it might take a few heating cycles for it to work properly.

Head gasket repair is probably going to cost something in the €1-1.5k range, not sure if it's worth it for me in a 15 year old car. Might be for you depending on age, or if that's even the problem.

Advertisement