Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from Japan

• 04-09-2024 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

I thought I've seen a thread on this before but a search doesn't throw it up.

Aside from the usual VRT etc. are there any other issues with japanese imports, and are there any companies here that will source a bike for you at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

There s many companies doing it for cars, can't see it being cost effective for bikes unless it's something rare unusual maybe, be cheaper buying from UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unless its a classic or something very sought after, is it worthwhile bringing it over from Japan? Shipping would be quite cost prohibitive no?

What bike is it?

Yeah ,i had a gander at a few bikes last night after reading this and didn't see much value , similar prices to here and europe,now that was a very limited looks so maybe there is better value to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

I owned a bike some years ago that had been imported from Japan by a previous owner.

It was registered and badged as a Suzuki, but was in fact, a rebadged Kawasaki. It looked like a bandit, but wasn't, and didn't resemble a Kwak but was stamped on the frame as a Kwak.

Getting parts, even service parts, wasn't easy, because it wasn't quite one thing or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Cheers guys. Just a thought, there was a nice bike I liked but I think was only released in the Japanese (Honda GB350S) and Indian markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

A Suzuki model that was in fact a rebadged Kawasaki model? Do you mean on the logbook or on the bike itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭JP 1800

Also consider insurance. When I go to get quotes for bikes from CN they ask is it an import or for the UK Ireland market. May be a loading on imports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Looks like a nice and simple little plodder, giving a nod back to the old days styling wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Late 90s/ early 00s there were loads of CBR 250/400 and Bros 250/400 imports here and in the UK. This was before the A2 licence class came in, but after two-strokes died a death leaving a huge gap in the market. The bikes of that size officially imported into the EU were ancient aul shíte like GN250, so most riders just moved up from 125 to 500 or more.

Loads of great bikes that fit the A2 class available these days.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

interesting stuff. You’re right in saying there’s a good range of A2 bikes now. That one just has the design balance just right for me. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Have to say as well nice looking motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

Sorry, only seeing this now. The bike had a Kwak frame, Suzuki logos on the tank and blue and white Suzuki paintwork.

It was designated as a Suzuki on the logbook. It looked a bit like a Bandit, but Bandit parts didn't always fit.

This is it

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/smgs/digital-archive/2_bike/ss4_061.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks, every day's a school day. I wasn't aware of that type of collaboration between the big four Japanese, to the extent that they're building frames for each other.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Quoting myself 😊 but to add, the 500s then were shite too! The Kawa GPz500S was ok but didn't deserve the exalted GPz name. Suzuki GS500E was based on a 70s engine, air-cooled two-valve twin. I still bought one 🙄 and toured all over France and into Italy, Switzerland, Germany on it. The suspension was cheap crap. Honda and Yamaha didn't have anything officially imported into Europe in that market segment at that time (IIRC, feel free to correct!)

There was all sorts of great stuff happening in the 600+cc market, especially in sportsbikes, but there was this massive hollow in the middle of the market. Back then you were a learner on <125cc and then passed your test and could ride whatever you liked, so in most European countries it made sense to move well up the CCs. That didn't take our fúcked up insurance market in Ireland into account. So there was a demand here for medium capacity bikes among riders with a full licence, that was not met by the official Big 4 offerings of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement