Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far to your club?

• 04-09-2024 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

Something I saw on another golf forum today got me thinking how far is everyone's commute to your club?

For me I'm living around 6 miles from the course and it takes something like 12 mins to drive. So it's handy in terms of going for a few holes in evening, etc.

I'm wondering at what point is a course too far, I'd probably be prepared to drive up to 30 mins or so for a good quality course if it meant passing lesser quality courses on the way

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

50 mins and 61kms each way for me but it’s only 5 mins from work so handy for lunchtime practice. Small bit of a trek at the weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

25 minutes minimum to 40 minutes max if lots of traffic. But only usually once a week. I've been doing it for 40 years so used to it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

5k door to door for me which is usually 5 mins or so. Pretty lucky to be in that situation and it is great to be able to just pop out for a few quick holes if I have the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭REFLINE1

4.5km, so 5-10 minutes depending on time of day.

Used to live on the grounds of the golf club, very handy for after-round pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

13km, it takes me no more than 15 minutes for my early morning weekend slot. But anything afternoon or midweek could take from 20 to 30 depending on traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

5.4km, 5 minutes no traffic - 10 minutes heavy traffic (aka stuck behind a tractor)

Very lucky, but the drive to/from golf was never one I minded too much.

Have 3 other decent golf courses within a 20-25 minute drive so that's also great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

800M from front door to car park. Makes it dead handy to just decide to play a few holes last minute on a summer evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

12 miles door to door. Takes anything from 25mins to 35mins depending on the time of day. There are several courses within 10 mins drive of home but you'd be talking serious coin, and I'm 40 years in my own place so it'd be hard to leave, emotionally anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

16 minutes assuming traffic is ok. Having lived an hour away from my previous course, i wouldn't be able to go back to that. Makes the day so much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

15-20 mins. Small rural roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bout 8km as the crow flies, 12km in the car. Takes about 10-12 mins on average

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

4.5km and about 5 mins.

Proximity was a key factor for me as I play a lot in the mornings before work and the evenings after work. I also wanted to be able to pop down for practicing on the practice green etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

10km and 12 minutes.

Its also on the way home after work, so very tempting to swing in for a couple of holes too 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I put a stopwatch on it once - just under 5 minutes from closing the front door to having the car parked, trolley set up and the shoes on - ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dublin72

3KM. About 6 minutes drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

10 minutes - just over 6 km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

5 minutes drive or 7 minute walk.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Without looking to intrude…why not so much?

It sounds like heaven!

It is surprising how much time you can find yourself spending on course/in the club house when it is literally on the site where you live. There is always someone texting to see if you are around for a few holes, and when the evenings get longer, it’s hard to resist. After a while it lost its appeal for me, and my family were getting pissed off with how much time I was spending there. It was literally, come home from work, have dinner, jump on the buggy, off to the tee. My wife worked shifts in a Hospital so at times we barely saw each other.

After approx 12 yrs, we built a house and moved, now I only play occasionally, and am happier with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I was expecting 100km+ going by your Username

🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

3.3km as the crow flies

Double in the car. Bout 5 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

25 minutes..17km

Less time at weekend😀

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

I can make the gate in about 9 mins.

Fast dual carriageway all the way.

Another 5 mins to the carpark.

Speedbumps every 50 metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

4km. Takes anything from 5 to 30 minutes depending on my tee time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

9k.

Walk, Drive,Cycle,Collected.

Time varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Moved to a house slightly further from the course.
    Now 15km through part of the city. Which is <20 minutes weekend and google maps is showing ~30 minutes now at 9am on a Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

45-50 mins drive, meaning it can be a hassle and yes, playing less often as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

With the gates of 2 clubs within a 1km radius of my front door and lots of others within 5-10km, I am spoilt for choice.

So of course I am a member of a club 50km from my house with a drive of about 40 minutes and always a bit slower getting home. I am almost 36 years a member there though and only living where I am for 20.

It's a really well maintained course, not cheap, but not extortion for what we get compared to others. It's a proper old school club and quite well run with lots of competitions every week, well represented on the interclub scene. If any of this was crap, I'd leave, but at this stage I'm a lifer now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Yes, loved it the 1 time I played it.

Real members club, love that.

Advertisement