Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water leaking into boot Avensis 08

• 04-09-2024 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hello

If anyone might have an idea. I have water getting into the boot of an Avensis 08. See photo please

It's collecting on the right hand side into the plastic container that is attached to the right of the boot.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Is it wet in the spare wheel compartment under the boot carpet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭doh777

Hello. No, everywhere else is dry. That compartment it is collecting in is a solid plastic storage area so I'm thinking it has to be coming from above. Maybe through the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭jj880

Had water getting into my boot through the boot support arms. Disconnecting them, cleaning the connecting surfaces, a dry off then some silicone before reconnect sorted it.

Ok. Thanks for that. I'll take a look at that option. I'm thinking now that maybe the petrol station car wash might be a contributing factor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Check drainage at bottom of windshield, I had similar with a VW, and the water was running down from windshield, thru the step ( not the right term.) all the way to the rear .

Water is a Bastård.

Also check rubber seal on boot, and around rear lights. BTW is your rear window washer squinter working/ leaking (if u have one)

You could try putting different color food dyes at different locations you suspect the leak might be, and see what color the pool of water becomes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I took another look today and the right side of the boot is not flush with the right rear panel, and rises a millimetre or two, allowing water in from the outside. It must have been rear ended somewhere along the line. Not sure how to realign the boot so that it's flush. At least the water is collecting perfectly in the plastic receptacle though.

Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Have a look underneath the car at the area the plastic receptacle is directly above, it's most likely there is nothing vital there like cables, pipes etc. but double and triple check with a measuring tape from a point on the exterior of the car like a pencil mark on the back bumper.

Once you are confident the coast is clear just drill a hole at the lowest part of the plastic and then through the sheet metal underneath it and the water will never again be a problem. Start with a thin drill bit and work up to maybe an 8-10mm hole.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Good idea there. I may give that a shot. Safe me from having to empty it out all the time. Thanks.

Advertisement