Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S&S duties

• 04-09-2024 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I’m currently covering a parental leave contract until October mid-term. I’m just wondering if I am required to do yard duty/supervision and as the teacher I am covering for is a non-tutor I’m being asked to complete some of their additional hours in learning support un-paid. I had a similar situation in another school where I was not expected to do this for the teacher I was covering. I’m not on full hours and so any gaps in my timetable I want to be available for subbing.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do nothing unpaid.

Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ve another question relating to S&S. In your school do the opt out teachers supervise house exams?? Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes as that is seen as instead of teaching, rather than instead of the supervision that would have been happening that week.

To the OP - do nothing unpaid. Although, that can be hard if you're hoping for a good reference. And they might not offer you extra subbing if you're not doing what they want you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Teapot30

OP dont agree to do anything unpaid! Allot of schools think they can use subs and students as they know youre trying to make a good impression and want to seem reliable and willing to work but that school will replace you without a second thought and you'll be burnt out and underpaid. If the school has employed you, they should have the funds to pay for you, if they dont, you dont work. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

As a rabid militant naysayer Id still caution against following the previous advice .For good or bad the case has always been that you have to go the extra mile to get noticed at start of career

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a difference between volunteering to help out after school with sports or whatever and doing hours in learning support that someone (you?) should be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Hontou

In teaching you have to have a lot of self respect. I have observed again and again that people who confidently say 'no' get treated better than 'yes' people that do everything. People treat you according to how you allow yourself to be treated. Do not work for free. It will become expected and you will be remembered for the one time you said 'no' rather than the 100 times you said 'yes'.

Advertisement