Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summoned to court but case no listed

• 05-09-2024 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4

Hi all,

So I got summoned to court for a road traffic offence. I showed up early in the right court on the right date.

Summons said for half 10 so long story short I m sitting there and there going through all the cases. Next thing I know there into the next time slot. So I double check my summons and make sure everything is ok and it is.

I went outside and checked the listing and my case is not listed. I asked a barrister there and he said it's like it never happened as the Garda would now have to re apply to the court and it would be out of its time limit.

So court day ended and that was that or so I thought. Today 10 months on I get a new summons in the door for the same thing.

Can anyone help with regards to the legality of this and what are my rights with regards to this?It is just 3 years removed from the incident.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

IANAL

Did you bring representation to the first hearing? It probably got cut because the Garda didn't want to show up. Had your representation being present they might have ensured it was heard per the summons and gotten it struck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

What is the date on the new summons? It should be dated within 6 months of the alleged offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A summons only has to be applied for, not issued within 6 months of the offence. Again the 6 months is sometimes changed.
    by law. The key issue for the o/p would be if the summons he got is a re-issue based on the original application or a fresh application pertaining to the same offence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

More often than not, and in particular with road traffic offences, section 10(4) of the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act 1851 is explicitly disregarded. I think things are at the point now where it's more useful to assume that it doesn't apply for summary offences. The Roads Traffic and Roads Act 2023 extended out a load of limitation periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 dwsof88

No I didn't have one. As the whole case was a shambles. I had 2 witness the Gard never followed up on and where the accident happened there was a mountain of CCTV never got either. Basically just took statements and didn't even manage to get that right. Than when I challenged about these details they wouldn't email back about and rang trying to tell me the above would make no difference.

I did email the Garda superintendent about this when I received the summons so wondering had that got something to do with it.

Following on have a complaint in with the ombudsman to

• Advertisement

I should also add we are just 3 years removed from the accident I don't know if that would make any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

What is the charge?
    3Yrs of a delay won’t do the states case any good, but it’s unlikely to be struck out for that reason alone.

It was for careless driving.

Long story short of it I had a bloke throw himself across my bonnet.

This is why I followed up with ombudsman man etc because if the Garda had just done there job I wouldn't have to deal with any of this.

Advertisement