Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Tell Us about your Cycle" Temp Thread

• 05-09-2024 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭

The original thread is gone missing, and I wanted to post this, so here is a thread that can be merged or deleted at a later date.

Today's cycle was a spin around my work car park on a Garda issue bicycle. That's all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

How was the bike? They always look heavy and BSO-ish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard they're giant bikes with stickers slapped on top?

anyway, i'm following up on getting the other thread(s) restored. i had been hoping vanilla would have managed it days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭cletus

It was not awful. Looks like a Giant, all right. Acera gears, alu frame, bit heavy, front suspension at full squash.

In general, not particularly nimble or light or anything, but if you're just pootling through the streets of whatever town or city you're stationed in, I'd imagine it's fine.

I did notice the brakes are set up a la mode Francais.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been told that vanilla are fixing this, but still no update.

anyway, southbound out of kilsallaghan about half an hour ago, approaching this blind bend:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4734143,-6.319818,3a,75y,220.35h,78.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA5exhMJ73xzGBXftCgFjVw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkxNi4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D

the chap in the burgundy qashqai behind had to abandon his overtake just as he was probably about to pull alongside, because a car came around the bend. undeterred by his first error, as soon as that car passed, he floored it and overtook me pretty much on the bend.

as he did so, i'm afraid i called out 'oh you **** cock, blind bend!', not expecting him to hear me, it was more just a reflex.

anyway, he clearly did hear me as he stood on the brakes and came to a complete halt in the road in front of me, so i went around him; he was trying to shout something at me but i didn't get it as i shouted 'BLIND BEND' at him as i passed.

anyway, next time he passed he kept going.

ironically, about 15 minutes later i got blown at for performing an overtake - i overtook a large flatbed on the road along the runway; he was stuck behind a roads construction vehicle going at walking pace. he blew at me again when he overtook about half a kilometre later - possibly he'd been planning to overtake the truck in front of him but me overtaking him had prevented that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement