Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car engine problems

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yeah pretty disappointed and the wife didn’t want to get another Peugeot after a few niggles we had over the years with the other Peugeot we have so I’ll never hear the end of this.

Hoping the dealer is easy to deal with tomorrow. Will have to call Peugeot also to arrange a tow back to the garage.

Doesn’t feel like we’ve only had the car 5 days and it’s going back to the dealer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I drive a 1.5 Diesel 5008, it's my 4th Peugeot in 12 years but my last also. In this car I have had 4 new Adblue Sensors replaced, whole fuel system aswell and a new tank and have never felt happy in the car. Our company has about 70 cars in its fleet and are no longer buying Peugeot. Cars a lovely but just plan unreliable anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

Peugeot used to have an awful rep for engines going on new yolks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Had a very similar issue with our 1.2 hybrid 5008 earlier this year, stopped after about 100Km.

Dealer had it a few days and returned based on advice from Peugeot and hit the same fault about 30Km later. Peugeot want to change the gearbox but I'd had lost faith in it (well that drivetrain anyway) so gave it back and got a diesel 5008 instead.

No problems with dealership at all, courtesy car straightaway and took the car back without any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I hope the OP didn't end up getting sold that exact car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…not surprised of hearing these stories at all, some mechanics are simply being employed by dealers to upgrade and work on brand new cars as soon as they arrive on site, covid has been disastrous for the industry, heaps of sh1te being pumped out of factories, with all sorts of known issues, and some serious….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Raichų

doubtful since they said I’m pretty sure it was brand new 242. They didn’t state it was a pre owned 242 and I wouldn’t buy one of those without serious questions as to why someone has bought and traded a car within the past 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭drury..

You would need to expand on that statement

Some sort of detail to back it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I need to know exactly which barstool, in which bar, this sage piece of wisdom was extolled in.

It's utter cr@p - no noticeable difference pre and post covid with the amount of new cars having issues. Big difference pre and post AdBlue for Diesels, but nothing that stands out on Petrol / Hybrid.

sorry i cant go into too much detail as that info came from a now ex major dealer mechanic, they told me the above, they were the person employed to do this, they spent all of their time working on brand new cars, upgrading and fixing known problems as soon as the cars arrived on site. they told me this really started during covid, which was inevitable really, considering the serious disruption to global supply chains at the time, but im now wondering, has this now become the norm!

…and since this was only one major dealer, you can beat you're arse, they aint alone!

…this is messy stuff!

an element of known faults upon leaving the factory is acceptable, if even, but a litany of faults, and some serious, most certainly is not

ask around folks, i suspect this is common enough

take it or leave that nugget of info….

another ex dealer mechanic once told me, its common for minor jobs to be marked as being done during servicing, as they simply didnt have time to do everything, they were simply never given enough time to properly do jobs, as the overall business model was to maximize throughput…..

…up to yourselves with all of that info….

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id agree with the diesel statement but that 1.2 3 cylinder engine they are using is the biggest heap of junk to ever have been put in a car.

Its a while since I was with Opel (same engine) but I hope to god they arent mating that 1.2 with a hybrid motor - thats only asking for problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We always used to carry out recalls before the vehicle was collected at PDI stage. But that was done well before covid aswell.

There could have been a software modification while it was being shipped or even a modified part to be replaced before the customer collected the car - I dont think theres anything unusual about fixing issues while its being prepped for sale - better to have it fixed and not come back for a repair than a customer collecting and coming back in a week or month for a recall / fix.

im aware of this, but my suspicions are, this may have gotten much worse since covid, i clearly have no up to date knowledge of these matters, but there seems to be a hell of a lot of people limping back to dealers shortly after purchasing, thats not acceptable, considering the money spent…..

one of those mechanics recently told me of more horror stories of fairly new cars, with serious, repeated engine failures, and other serious failures etc, something isnt right!

they also warned me that all manufactures are currently experiencing problems now, some more so than others, being unable to recommend anything to me, as im currently in the market myself

Just to give everyone an update, seems to have been resolved.

Called Peugeot assistance this morning to request a tow back to the dealer. Rang the dealer at 9am and told them what happened and want to hand the car back. They suggested a replacement but I said I’ve lost all confidence and would like to just give it back.

A few hours later roadside assistance arrived, did a diagnosis and it was showing gearbox faults and some other unknown faults. He didn’t start the engine, just the turned on the electronics for the diagnosis but when he stopped it there was a loud clicking coming from somewhere that continued for a few minutes. Said he’d arrange a tow.

The dealer called back agreeing to reverse the deal and they’d get our trade in ready for us to collect. Have to say the dealer was good to deal with along the way so can’t fault them.

Now back to the drawing board on what to get. Narrowed it down to a Sportage or RAV4 I think. Happy for any opinions.

Thanks again for the helpful replies, and to the poster than PM’d me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That's a good outcome. The dealer seems to have stepped up to the plate fairly promptly.

It would give anyone considering buying a Peugeot, new or second-hand reason to be very wary.

A friend of mine had the engine and clutch replaced (under warranty) in his 191 Peugeot 3008 while in it's second year with lowish mileage.

If youre going auto you cant really beat the Rav 4. I think the Kia autos use the same gear box that the Tuscons use that are giving problems with clutch packs failing and not covered under warranty - maybe Kia are covering them but Hyundai only warranty them for 25k and not the full 5 years. Id be wary if they are using that DCT box. Honda CRV would be another good buy - might be a bit pricey though. Honda HRV would be another bullet proof buy. Japanese all the way if you want reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭GHendrix

I don’t know much about cars but in recent years the likes of Ford and Peugeot started using wet belts that have terrible reliability issues.

I learned this the hard way with my Ford Focus.

Exact symptoms as you. Car was overheating and going to limp mode. Coolant leaked and destroyed engine.

Hope you can get refund and run a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Once had a Renault company car from new, regular faults, nothing major, mostly electrical issues. Swore I'd never buy French cars when buying myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The Stellantis group - Peugeot, Citroen, Opel, Fiat & Jeep. What a brilliant combination of car manufacturers!

You couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement

Someone here had a signature that said "Stellantis - All the **** brands under one roof" or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

We were on holiday last week in Madeira (yes great thanks😊) and got held up in a tunnel by a traffic jam which turned out to be a broken down car. Yes, it was a brand new Peugeot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭GPoint

A brand new 3008 MHEV 1.2 in good spec GT is just over 50 k! That’s a lot of money to shell out for any car. Peugeot should initiate a recall campaign for this if they want to keep loyal customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Might be worth looking at the Kuga PHEV OP. Plenty available from stock at the moment.

We've a good few on the road as it's pretty reasonably priced and we don't seem to have had any issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

sure maybe they have cleaned your old car up with a service and tuning and she’ll be good for another 100 thousand and you can forget about upgrading 🤣

With a bit of luck. Will make up for the full tank of petrol I wasted in the Peugeot before it **** the bed 10km later 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That stellantis petrol is awful, well documented wet belt issues.

Their diesels, esp 1.6 hdi are nearly bullet proof except ad blue but there are solutions to that. Wouldn't buy a petrol stellantis.

I’ve experienced the ad blue problems myself in our other car (I was PM-ing you at that time actually). Got that wiped from the system and have had mostly trouble free driving with it for nearly 6 years. Also gets 4.6-4.7l/100km which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Glad to hear it got solved. I've had injector issues twice so not too expensive but next time I'm going for the ultimate solution, enough is enough. Shame as the rest of the mechanicals are rock solid. 3 1.6 HDis and not one mechanical prob bar ad blue and routine stuff.

1.5 diesels seem another story tho not as bad as puretech/eco boom rubbish.

Advertisement