Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educate together Vs established girls school

• 06-09-2024 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are looking to decide where to put our daughter for junior infants…we have option of new ET school recently established vs Saint brigid which is well established. Distance wise both work the same. Apart from

1. Co Ed in ET
    2. No religion in ET

are there any other differences between the two

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Upandout

I have two children one nearing end of secondary through educate together ethos and the second nearing the end of primary.

Our school has a growing community of broadening diversity and the school has excellent support to educate all children to think inclusively. E.g. they learn Làmh, have regular play dates with local special needs school classes, they mentor younger classes, autism awareness is regularly supported to all children.

The particular difference I note is everything is explained why they are learning it. They have set out learning outcomes which have a variety of level of learning, encouraging children to engage where their needs are met.

There is a big emphasis on the holistic child. Their attitude, treatment of their peers and their curiosity is valued equally to their academic success.

Academically I have heard nonsense about how they are not pushed etc, they are encouraged, they are explained the benefits and supported, to me that means you develop curious engaged learners.

My eldest is bright but struggles when doesn't achieve perfection. The schools supported him and us to help him learn that doing his best is important but balance is important. They worked on finding him activities where he won't necessarily achieve easily so he learnt the lesson in a "safe" area. They get my children and have provided them a wonderful positive education experience, I will always be grateful for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

personally a single sex school would never be an option for us. I see not advantage to them and I do not think it reflects society or reality.

I would go with the ET and if you are religious do religion on your terms, each ET school is individual and different so it is hard to judge them as a whole.

You are not guaranteed a place anyway so may as well apply to all the local schools!

Advertisement