Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sri Lanka - Has anyone ever been

• 06-09-2024 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Really interested in going here. I hear great reports on the people and the food.

Would love to hear what things people think should be done and whats things should be avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There are a lot more important problems than Sri Lanka to worry about.

We have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Paddico only asked about views on Sri Lanka. Why must his/her query incur a lecture on all that’s supposedly wrong in this world?

Sorry Paddico, I’ve never been there so cannot offer any advice. I can only say I’ve heard only good things about SL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Who pissed in your porridge this morning ? ... ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't been myself, but helped a friend of mine recently to book a holiday there. She has been to India many times, but is trying Sri Lanka next year.

Must dos seem to include the Kandy to Ella railroad journey and the various elephant and other wildlife places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Fantastic country to visit. It was 2017 when I went. Would gladly go back. The food is unreal. People are very friendly. Loads to see and do. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hairy123

It a lovely country but do your research on best areas to visit depending on the time of year you are there. Some of the beaches the current is too dangerous to enter the water in the off season. I actually only thought the food was ok. A Sri Lankan curry varied greatly from one place to the next in terms of how spicy it was etc. Beer was dear there so there wasn't much nightlife outside the capital city. Some amazing hikes, beaches etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I have a team working for me based in Colombo, but I haven’t been, by all accounts it’s an incredibly beautiful and stable country, a lot more “civilized” compared to their new neighbors my team say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

had a great time here a few years ago. Plenty to see and do. Can be a bit hectic. Wasn't a fan of Colombo. Few of our highlights were:

Sunrise hike up Pidurangala Rock to get a view of Sigiriya.

Temples around Dumballa.

Train ride Kandy to Ella and Tea plantations.

Adams Peak.

Safari Udawalawe national park. Lots of Elephants.

The food. Did some cooking courses in Kandy.

Beaches and surfing down south near Tangelle.

We found the people very friendly and hospitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

My brother's there as we speak and we literally got sent the Instagram pic of him hanging from the Kany to Ella train picture that everyone takes!

OP he's having the most amazing time and would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Never been there….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭saffron22

I've been there also in 2017. Trip of a lifetime. The train ride takes most of a day from Kandy to Ella and is amazing.

Stayed near Sigiriya for 3 nights

in Kandy for 2 nights Ella for 2 and Columbo for 1.

Loved wandering the city in Kandy and Columbo. Ella is a back packer haven but has amazing hikes.

Found the food awesome. Word to the wise though turn off lights at night if you have windows open and if you find geckos in the place you are staying leave them there (they are your friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I was there in 1997 for 3 months…. Things were nasty then with the civil war with the Tamil rebels. It was a terribly poor third world country, but the people remained optimistic and friendly. Food was hit and miss to be honest. Bring imodium. Even strong a willed gut will fail over time :).

We took some weekends out of Colombo and visited the beach in Galle, visited Kandy where we met newly weds from Bantry and got absolutely hammered (totally random encounter) and visited an elephant sanctury somewhere in the middle of the country. All very nice, but accommodation then was very mediocre outside of the 5* colombo hotels.

Its definitely worth a vist. Back then, we were advised to stay out of the North of the island, but I believe their security situation has improved significantly. I'd like to go back at some point to see how it has progressed. Typing this has unlocked some fond memories I had forgotten :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Paddico

To the guy in post # 2, hope you've moved on from your bad day.

To everyone else, thank you all for your contributions. All very useful.

For hiking would you need to hire a guide or is it possible to do it yourself. Doing it ourselves would be great but then what happens when you hit a heard of angry elephants?

Anyone know the cost of a private taxi hire? We have only two weeks so it might be worth considering though I always enjoy the local buses.

Probably looking more at home-stays or at least places to meet others. Maybe not budget backer type spots and definitely not 4 or 5 star spots but something in between. Any suggestions for Kandy, Ella, Tangala and Sigiriya.

Food wise, I'm a big fan of their food myself. The handy pastry and lentil balls are great and their dishes are lovely. Bit of a kick of the crab and fishes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

unfortunately due to the political unrest, we are not permitted by employer to go there. So I suggest you read the small print on your travel insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

I am.just back from 3 weeks in Sri Lanka. Amazing country and people, will 100% go back. Any questions let me know. I have contacts for private taxi, tour group recommendations etc. Happy to help.

Sounds great Prefect. Probably start with the first question, where did you go?

Would love to hear about public transport and of course tours and private taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

4 days negumbo,

6 day guided tour, kandy, dumbulla, galle, unawatuna. This tour was fantastic, intrepid was the company, we booked from Ireland.

Then we had a week on the beach's in unawatuna. With a tour in the middle.

We wanted to go to yala national park so booked a day tour for this, private car and safari. Worked out well and door to door.

I don't think I would drive , traffic in towns is mad and the dogs sleep on the roads.

I can put links here but for taxi numbers etc I can private message you.

Brilliant Prefect.

Yeah I'd love it you shared the taxi numbers with me.

Curiously, was there a reason you picked Yaha National Park over Udawalawe NP.

For some beach time I can only afford a few days at one spot. Of the two spots, which would you recommend, Negumbo or Unawatuna? Hard q but I would pick one over the other in terms of sights, traditional vs new build, local market, meeting others, snorkelling, beach water safety.

Is it easy to meet other fellow travellers?

Advertisement