Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Autumn/ Winter 2024

• 06-09-2024 7:56pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Later in the night into the early morning heavy convective rain set to track South of Ireland and may produce thunderstorms, will see if we get any reports of seeing lightning off the S coasts, very hard to know if any come close to the shores, chance is fairly low I would think.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Staying well south. Will it edge a bit towards the Cork coast ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Plenty of lightning moving west from Pembrokeshire at the moment, Wexford coast should be seeing a bit of a show out to sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The track of the thunderstorms stayed well South of Ireland overnight.

Getting it fairly rough over in parts of southern UK yesterday and forecast again for today and tomorrow from that slow moving circulation of LP containing fronts and troughs with added heat and tons of moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just looking at that Meteorite58, lively enough for parts of England tonight. Juicy TAF for Heathrow . Chance of Heavy Thunderstorms and Heavy Rain overnight

PROB40 TEMPO 0720/0809 3000 +TSRA +RA BKN004PROB30 TEMPO 0809/0812 3000 +TSRA +RA

Lively across southern England and heading west over the border into Wales. Wonder will these make it across the Irish Sea later this evening and tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭glightning

Tornado in Aldershot, England today :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy89x9v0n7eo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Won't let me view the link, I'll go on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye I did earlier it worked 💪, mad to see for once the south of England is to get more rain than us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

You'd miss the blue sky tonic..

Dark and calm Meath

14⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

We are promised thunder down here this afternoon in the south east. Anyone got any further info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Iberian low pumping out a fair amount of rain

Because of its origin's,it may have some embedded storms or import them in the showers ahead of it's arrival

It's an import job ie in laymans tongue,moving into a less favourable athmosphere,so might be rain only

Most of the energy over the UK today and drifting on to the Celtic sea, Georges channel and Irish sea later and as pureza said best chance of a few imports crossing the water near our coasts later tonight and into the early hours, chance of moving onto land fairly low but a bit of a chance I would think perhaps in coastal areas but isolated in nature. Some heavy convective type showers maybe in coastal areas in the E, SE and S later.

Some uncertainty in those troughs will see if much develops.

The rather unreliable at times and frequently changing met Éireann app has thunderstorms in Arklow at 9pm this evening,I somehow doubt it 😂

Some very active storms NW of Birmingham atm and breaking out in central wales,these are our imports this evening ? But it's a long shot if the sferics will survive the Irish sea.

A closer look at the direction of those,they are moving NW,destination eventually East Ulster,unless more break out in South wales/SW England which seems to be happening,that would put the SE and rest of the East in play,certainly worth some radar watching?

Thus far,travelling into the sea is weakening these a lot but bigger beasts will be around this evening,lets see?

30 mins later,app has changed again,lightning symbol gone,what use is that app as a forecast tool seriously ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭glightning

Plenty of lightning in West Midlands (England)

Heavy shower coming in over Wexford - will it spark?

Had some rain from that here but just spits,was black to the south before it got dark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very heavy rain shower now in Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭The Macho Man

I'm a regular golfer and cyclist so always watching the weather. The only time I trust the app is tracking the rainfall radar which is very very handy. Otherwise I'll use YR for forecasting. Met Eireann have an awful track record.

A lot more rain than expected here in Tralee this morning, heavy convective type rain , very dark morning. Small chance we could get a couple of isolated thunderstorms near the SW, S coasts today.

Advertisement