Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could this be a faulty TV?

• 07-09-2024 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭

3 times in the last 5 days we have lost some of the Saorview channels. The first 2 occasions was RTE1, VM3 etc but a scan restored the lot. Tonight we lost RTE2, VM1 etc and again a scan sorted it. There are 2 other TVs in the house running off the same aerial and they are fine which makes me think its an issue with the TV.

I only have this set for a couple of months and its a bit of a pain to have to scan every now and then. This is the model in question.

Would anyone have an opinion on this or have any idea as to whats causing the problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

check if there is an auto retune set up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What are the signal levels like for the 2 frequencies, as indicated by the TV?

How is the signal split between the TVs in the house? Could there be an issue there?

Is it possible to test the TV at one of the other points in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cant find any signal levels either. The remote is very similar to that of a firestick.

The cable from the rooftop aerial goes to an electrical splitter / booster in the sitting room. It's then split 4 ways - 3 TV's and a freeview box which is rarely on. I haven't tried moving the tv yet but I have changed to a different slot or port in the booster but that didn't help. Then again that was done when some of the Saorview channels were off. Maybe I should have scanned again after changing ports and see how it would go.

Just to add that when we first got the tv we put it in the bedroom upstairs but it wouldn't pick up the Freeview or Saorview channels. The tv it was replacing got all channels and it was fed from a non powered splitter only. I then purchased the booster and it seemed okay. Shortly after we moved it downstairs to the sitting room and it was going fine up to the last few days. It's strange that it drops channels on one mix only but the other 2 TV's are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭head82

Unfortunately my response won't offer any solutions to your problem but just to state that I'm having a similar issue of late. In my case I loose ALL Saorview channels! This problem began a few months ago. A rescan restored them fine but then 3 days later, everything lost again. This has been an ongoing issue for the last few months but I've managed to last a week or so currently without having to rescan.

I've been putting it down to my telly being a few years old and starting to fail.. a Samsung.. 9 years or so. I have a dedicated Saorview box in the upstairs bedroom running off the same aerial and everything's fine.

If your new TV is only a few months old and this wasn't an issue from the start, I'd be questioning the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What signal readings are you getting on the TV and the Saorview box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can you take the input cable from the booster and plug it directly into the TV.

This will test the aerial directly to the TV, bypassing the booster to check for an issue there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

The autotune feature is called AUTOMATIC SERVICE UPDATE on this tv. It can be found in the tuning menu. Press SELECT to toggle between on/off. Set it to off to stop tv from scanning for channels on its own.

Yes, tried that and everything is going fine (as it was with all 3 TV's connected) but I couldn't leave it connected indefinitely as we would have no signal going to the other TVs. The loss of a few Saorview channels has happened 3 times in 5 days. It hasn't happened since I posted here initially and might never do again but I suspect it will in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I assume you have checked your aerial connections and are good

• Advertisement

I haven't looked any further yet but if I do locate it and turn it off as you suggest would that not compound the problem seeing as a scan solves the problem?

Yeah, I checked the connections together with toggling the "out" ports on the booster but it's only this one tv that is dropping the Saorview channels. Those channels will disappear on that set yet 2 other TV's don't loose the channels despite all being run from the same aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

We are trying to eliminate the possibility that the autoscan is actually causing the problem in the first place. It could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Are the channels actually listed and be interesting are they all vanishing .

If near a transmitter try a mini aerial plugged into tv for a few days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭head82

There's no signal strength indicator on the TV (haven't checked the Saorview box). But I'd be surprised if the issue was down to a drop in signal strength. It feels more like the TV is 'losing its memory'.. for want of a better term. TV memory loss might explain my particular scenario due to its age and potentially failing components but in the OP's case.. new TV and working fine until recently along with two other TVs in the house giving no problems, I'm inclined to lean towards the TV as being the root cause.

Although it is strange a signal booster was required in order to get the new TV to accept a Saorview signal initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cases of intermittent reception are usually due to a problem with the aerial / cables. Not a drop in signal strength at the transmitter, or a fault on the TV set. It could be worthwhile checking again for a menu on the TV that shows the signal readings. And certainly do look at the readings on the Saorview box.

If only to see what levels you have now, when there is a picture and when there is none. A perfect picture will look perfect from a 100% signal and from a 50% signal if 50% is enough. But there could be no picture at 45%. Also for a Before and After comparison, if you do any changes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I had a similar problem with a new Samsung TV that would rescan Saorview and put the channels into the 800s. [I have the TV set to UK for Freesat.]

It turned out to be autoscan turned on. It is hard to find it. Turning it off fixed the problem.

All Saorview TVs have a signal strength function that gives Signal Strength and Signal Quality. SQ is more important. There are two muxes and each can give different readings.

Advertisement