Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought car that was written off in UK

• 07-09-2024 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Bought a car in Ireland for 10k a few months. Engine is gone on it now and I need to replace engine. I didnt do a history check until now and I see my car was written off in UK as uneconomical to repair. What are the implications of this for me? Its out of warranty with the dealership I bought from.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Raichų

i recommend contacting the dealer and seeing what they can offer in terms of potentially a reduced rate for repair but you’re best approaching them kindly as you are currently out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When you say dealership are you talking about a second hand car dealer ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Considering the OP bought from a dealer, i suspect, now this is not a suspicion, that he means go back to the dealer the OP bought the car off 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mermaidhair

Yes, 2nd hand

Sorry slight confusion caused by me not replying directly to the op.

I was checking when he mentioned dealership that it might be a main dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d be going back to the dealer and having a quiet word. Maybe the dealer wasn’t aware it was a write off and he may not want that reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that it should be a requirement for the dealer to do the history check. Then it should be produced for the buyer to inspect and keep if he buys the car. Some of them are getting away with daylight robbery.

He may not have been the importer.

I agree a quiet word might do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Economic write off covers a wide field in insurance terms. Could mean that it just had a new body panel fitted or light structural repair. UK has a few write off classifications, Cat N would be non structural (panel damage) while Cat S is structural (damaged frame/chassis), both can be put back on the road once repaired correctly. These cars are worth a good bit less than non crashed cars however so the OP should have paid a good bit less than the market value as the write off classification will be with the car always when a future buyer runs a history report.

Fact that the OP wasn't told about it when buying is a concern and may well have paid full market price for it. Selling dealer cannot hide behind the claim they didn't know either as they would be seen as experts in their profession of buying and selling cars. Always best to do your own history checks, never rely on the selling dealer to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Nothing you can do about the engine issues as your out of warranty.

But as for the write off, you should be able to easily claim €2000 from the small claims court.

You can’t really give the car back and get a full refund since the car needs a new engine

• Advertisement
Advertisement