Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When someone gives their hand with palm up for handshake?!

• 07-09-2024 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19

So upon a quick few searches on the internet about possible reasons for this, it seems as if no one finds this annoying for the same reason as I do. I just read people saying that you're meant to think that they are giving you the upper hand, and that they're therefore giving you control, or else that they're showing you that they're not concealing any weapon, etc. Hmmm.

This is how I see it; when someone holds out their hand for a handshake you expect it to be vertical. If someone holds it out horizontal with the palm up, it can be confusing for a split second. It's like they're holding out their hand to give you food or something. You now have to twist your hand to accommodate them. It feels like I'm being made comply somehow... with yet another handshake game.

I just get the impression a person would only do this because they had an elder say that they should always do it, or that they read something stupid on the internet. The next time I get this, I think I might just hold my hand out the exact same way!

Comments

Are people still handshaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When I put your thread title into Google it told me: "About 2,970,000 results". Instead of a quick few searches, give it a bit of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Rescue Blues

Those are results related to handshaking in general… such as shaking too tightly, limply, etc. I'm on about something a bit different.

While I have you, did you ever have someone try this with you though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im just waiting for you to smoothly slip me my 20 accross my palm. 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In [current year] of COVID...

It's a power play, like in Japan if you bow lower when meeting someone you respect them more, and are therefore the better person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

The open palm can be a sign of wanting to dominate.You counter it by bringing your other hand to cover the other person's outer hand.Thereby "clamping"the hand they have offered you.Do it quickly before they do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭chooseusername

This, and then slide your right hand up the other persons wrist and grab that tightly and pull them forcefully towards you. That'll show them who is the boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My pseudo science take on it is that it is perceived on Boards as a male pursuit. Seen on other internet resources also, where the idea of any female contribution does not seem to be countenanced. And what is on the internet in general, is mostly repetition of what someone else has come up with. Whether based on any good science or not. The question about the bit below is WHO considers it a submissive gesture? Sources close to the writer??

"Offer your hand with your palm facing sideways. When a person offers his hand with the palm faced upwards, it is considered to be a submissive gesture. Conversely, when someone offers his hand with the palm faced downwards (or twists his hand downward during the handshake) it sends a message of superiority. But people who offer a sideways hand to shake send a message of equality and confidence."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hold your hand up, palm facing your opposite number, and say "High five" in a faux American accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You are over thinking this a bit too much op. I would find it a bit odd but some people are a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Or push the sleeve up their arm and say 'hello, I'm from the umbrella factory'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Rescue Blues

@dxhound2005

"Offer your hand with your palm facing sideways. When a person offers his hand with the palm faced upwards, it is considered to be a submissive gesture. Conversely, when someone offers his hand with the palm faced downwards (or twists his hand downward during the handshake) it sends a message of superiority. But people who offer a sideways hand to shake send a message of equality and confidence."

It's an intentional submissive gesture though… which is the whole point of the thread. It would be like if you asked someone to throw you something, and you expect them to throw it at chest height, but then they throw it towards your knee! It's unexpected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Henry VIII wearing voluminous cloths.

Japanese samurai developing a way of knee walking so they could move quickly from a kneeling positing.

IIRC some research on Game of Thrones showed that real life Italian nobles had a comparative death rate. Serious business.

It's more common that you think.Some swell heads think it's cool

Not confined to males.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

High fives are played out man. I'm taking it back to the low fives. Late 70s vibe man. Far out man. Groove on man, peace out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Vertical = formal

Horizontal = informal, expecting a smack of hands followed by bulging biceps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Astartes

They could have been checking if you know the secret handshake. Evidently you didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Slip me some skin brother….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 twogoatsonehat

Haven't googled but seem to remember Masonic handshakes brotherhood and the like. Or a gay recognition signal. Stroking inner palm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I wouldn't worry about palm up. Palm down, as long as it's not a limp handshake, anyone who can't shake hands properly needs to be shipped off the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 twogoatsonehat

Your criteria for being " shipped off" seem a bit arbitrary then again your comment would add you to my shipped off list. The joys of modern interactions. I hope you posted in jest. If I am forewarned of a handshake I will give my balls a good scratch and give a hearty manly handshake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Has elbow bumps gone out of fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

The normal way is to offer the palm sideways. I suppose children aren't taught by their parents how to shake hands anymore. Holding your hand out palm up is weird. Like holding your hand out for a smack in the days of corporal punishment. I'd carry a wooden ruler in my pocket and give them a swift whack of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Edit. Nevermind. Link doesn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

just wave…furiously…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Doing it all wrong

Advertisement