Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have I disturbed a viper's nest?

• 07-09-2024 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

We were trying to pull up a huge old root when suddenly about six of these chaps appeared on the surface. This is why I'm a terrible gardener, I hate these things, they give me nightmares. What are they, and are they harmless or a pest I have to worry about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Eh, they are worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

But so many more came up, I normally dig up fat worms. So I suppose they're not particularly a pest of a worm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

They're worms

Ok then, thanks. I worry over nothing so. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

was this for real or were you drinking in the garden?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid, it is for real. I have a phobia about these things. I realise proper gardeners don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭macraignil

Earth worms are a vital part of healthy soil and you will usually get much healthier plants in soil with lots of earth worms. If you had soil with no earth worms it would be something to worry about. Maybe try look into no dig gardening so you don't have to disturb them while they are doing their essential work for your garden soil.

Happy gardening!

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Surprised St Patrick didn't get a mention?

NO SNAKES IN IRELAND

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are mainly two types of earthworms, both good and a sign of healthy soil. Ones that work vertically and others that work horizontally. Now you know where to head for the next time you're going rod fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://invasives.ie/app/uploads/2022/01/New-Zealand-Flatworm.pdf

If however you find one of these charmers you may well consider it a 'viper', or at any rate, undesirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lobworms, they're attracted to the surface by vibration in the soil, so arrived while you were pulling at the root.

It's not completely understood why they do, but stamping or banging something into the ground is a known method of collecting them for fishing. They'll often randomly appear a couple of feet away while i'm disturbing ground, one answer is they're escaping from moles, but we don't have moles here.

Advertisement