Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine fault code.

• 08-09-2024 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭

This has popped up in my 2013 is300h.

Would it usually just be a case of replacing the sensor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Not necessarily, it usually means the timing is out. Possibly a new timing chain needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I wouldn't have thought a chain would need replacing after 70k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Its one of the possibilities. I’ve had the fault before and had to do the chain. That being said I’ve bought and sold a good few Prius’s and they always seem to have that camshaft position fault on them. Similar set up as your Lexus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Almost certainly not a timing chain issue with such low mileage. Lexus chains are meant to be a lifetime job and (touch wood) I've never heard of anyone having to replace one.

I'd guess it's something really minor, the build quality is supreme but even on older models the computer is so sensitive it throws up serious looking warnings for minor issues.

I couldn't start my car one time and a fault reading came up on the screen that I immediately thought was going to be an expensive fix. When I googled on my phone I discovered I hadn't screwed in the petrol cap properly.

You surely would have gotten some indication from driving it if it was anything serious out of place.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The only time I've had a timing chain issue was on a turbo petrol Audi with 130k miles and that was down to wear on the chain guide and not the chain.

I know it's a different car but my lexus has no rattle and pretty much still sounds like a brand new engine.

Gets oil change every year which as you can tell by the milage is way under the milage recommendation.

When the fault popped up, I connected a Bluetooth ob2 reader to port and the engine management light, for some reason, disappeared.

I continued to do a scan anyway and even though the light went out, it still logged the fault.

That's why my first thoughts were a faulty sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

If you read the code it's a circuit high input, this cannot have anything to do with the timing chain it's purely a circuit fault.

It's likely the sensor but it may be a broken wire or voltage drop issue etc

Post edited by mk7r on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Are theres there any start/cutting out issues or is it just the logged fault? Could just be a case of replacing the sensor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Will be buying an OBD2 scanner soon for my Merc diesel.Any recommendations? DIY level,not professional.

I just have a Bluetooth adapter with years and Car Scanner Pro app that cost €5.99 for life

• Advertisement

Had a look at Car Scanner Pro.But about the bluetooth adaptor?

I have an elm 327 but I know there is/was a lot of fakes out there.

I think there is also a version 2.1 that doesn't work with somethings.

I've my one so long I'm not sure if there are better options out there now.

I'm sure someone else on here would have a better knowledge than me on whats best to use these days.

Yes,a lot of Chinese made stuff out there.Some at peanut prices and other gold prices for the same model

Advertisement