Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone-NBI: High latency every evening

• 08-09-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Having a latency issue with Vodafone FTTH over NBI and I'm hoping to see if this is a widespread issue with Vodafone or something with the setup.

Using a Unifi Gateway (UXG Lite) connected directly to the NBI ONT (not using the Vodafone Modem).

Noticed on the controller dashboard over the past few days that been latency spikes each night and looking through the logs it seems like it's happing nearly every evening, and started in early June.

Generally between 20:30 and 21:30, the controller reported latency goes from 13ms, up to 150-250ms for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours and then goes back to normal.

Is this a widespread issue with Vodafone?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I had an issue last night with Vodafone on NBI where I was getting less than 100Mbps instead of my usual 900+. Lasted from around 8pm (at least that's when I noticed it) until 11pm. Ping seemed fine just very slow speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭pacman114

Have had this issue for the last few months…also with Vodafone via NBI. It’s very annoying!

Also using a Unifi gateway but have put back in the Vodafone gigabox and it still happens. A reboot of the ONT or gateway resolves it but it’s really annoying…internet is almost unusable between 9 and 10 or so. LAN connectivity is fine it’s just the WAN that has the high latency.

Have reported it to Vodafone but no resolution has been found. Tempted to move supplier over it. If you find a solution please update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭heavydawson

@pacman114 @mossie I'm assuming its unlikely you're in close proximity to one another so was wondering if it might be Vodafones DNS servers? Are you using Vodafones hardware and/or their own DNS servers or have you configured Vodafones/Your-Own router to use custom DNS servers?

I’d say it’s unlikely. I have tried Google and Clouldflare DNS on the WAN interface with my Unifi box. The DNS servers are not changeable on the WAN of the Vodafone gigabox. Same issue exists regardless…

it’s an annoying issue that obviously is affecting more then one user…at least it seems to be a Vodafone issue. Might look to move to Eir but really don’t want to!

Using my own DNS. It seems to have been a one off with me last Sunday, fine since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

This is strange. I'm with Digiweb on NBI and I've been noticing the same thing. I never paid much heed to it because it didn't affect the connection - i.e. it went from excellent to very good for a couple of hours in the evening. I decided to track it a bit more after seeing this thread, but lo and behold, it hasn't happened since. Maybe some piece of NBI kit was struggling and got upgraded.

Still happening me most evenings unfortunately…even causes buffering in the evenings which is really annoying! At least a reboot of the router resolves for the day.

I have an issue again tonight. Ping is fine - 9ms but download is at 15% of normal.

Advertisement