Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When probate has been finalised

• 09-09-2024 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

When probate has been finalised and waiting for new namsvto be put on the deeds, whose name is actually on the deeds while waiting , The original owner ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Candlel

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

it’s amazing I was told by an insurance company that because probate was fnished that they couldn’t insure the house as nobody’s names were on the deeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, there is a name on the title, but it's the name of a person who no longer exists. In that sense there isn't the name of an actual person on the title.

But of course the executor/administrator has an insurable interest in the house. There are no legal considerations which prevent the insurers from insuring this house; they just don't want to insure it. God know why.

And if the assignment of the house to the beneficiaries entitled to it hasn't been completed yet then the adminstration of the estate isn't finished.

[Posted in error.]

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Well spotted. I'll delete and repost to the correct thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is no pressing reason to have the property registered in the name of the beneficiary straight away. If the executor has received the Grant of Probate then he/she needs to inform the person who inherited the property that they are now the effective (if unregistered) owner of the property. And they most certainly now have an insurable interest in the property and need to insure it.

I did executor and personal probate for a will a few years ago. My sister inherited a property but never put it in her name. She rented it out for a few years and then sold it. As part of the sales process, her solicitor asked for a certified copy of the will. Which I sourced from the Probate Office for her and the sale proceeded without a hitch.

It's unclear as to why the insurance company won't insure it. It can't be for the reason stated because even if the registered owner has passed away, while probate is in the works, the executor of the will is the owner and then the ultimate beneficary. At the appropriate times, either of them should be able to insure it.

But if an executor told me that I had inherited a property, I would take out a policy on it there and then and not wait for probate to be completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What do you mean probate is finished? Is it a will or intestacy? Has a grant issued?
    The grant itself becomes part of the title documents as soon as it issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Is the house unoccupied? That would be a concern for insurers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

Advertisement