Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 17 - Azerbaijan - Baku

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To me it looked like the cars started to fishtail as they put down the power out of the corner as near the end of the race the rears were all but gone and it was the fishtailing that caused the smack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I am a massive Sainz fan but looking at it honestly I think Perez turned more right than he turned left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Great drive from Piastri!! He looks like a future champion, in the right car of course.

McLaren ahead in the constructors. The Sainz-Perez accident gives a bit of cushion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sainz does move in and therefore towards Perez as his wheel is well outside the whiteline at first but he is back in by the time of the collision. He had to move to avoid the wall but he still moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Looking at it again I don't think either driver turned in on the other in a significant way. The.way they came.ouy of the corner Sainz was moving slightly left and Perez to the right. Neither driver took action to avoid the obvious contact that was coming.

Will be interesting to see how the stewards deal with it, they'll have more information than just the camera views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder how f sainz wasn't getting the boot from Ferrari if he'd have pulled in behind le clerc rather than try overtake and thus compromise his own exit when it didn't work, and put perez back in position to try overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Max has 2 podiums in his last 7 races and IIRC there was nothing of note that happened to him other then the car not being in a good place for him, if this form continues and Norris keeps going as he is I think Norris will win the drivers championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

If he’d waited and then the VSC came out he’d have scored fewer points than Max. You’ve got to take the chances when they come.

I don’t think either driver did anything egregious between Perez and Sainz, but as the driver behind it was probably more on Checo to see they were close to coming together and take evasive action.

The cost of repairs from that crash will hurt both Red Bull and Ferrari in the development race with McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Think that’s about the whole of it. Sainz increases the gap to the wall and I think Perez is trying to keep him as tight to the wall as possible.

Have seen some people saying Sainz looked in his mirror but it’s a split second before it occurs. Think they misjudged each others movements and it was an awkward crash. Maybe they will come down on Sainz or maybe not. Small margins.

• Advertisement

He didn't really eat enough into Max's lead in my view. You really need at least 1 race of Max not scoring to really see a fight brewing.

Mind you, I didn't think he'd catch Max today and he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

It's a tricky one to judge, Sainz does come back in a bit further than I thought initially but I think the two of them just misjudge the distance between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Longing

Well actually since Austria Lando has scored 104 points to Piastry 135 points in 7 races. Max has scored 94 points in the last 8 races.

8 races left. Lando has only gained ten points on Max. McLaren know this that's why they did not come out saying Lando is the number 1 driver for the reminder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Stewards will call it a racing incident, no penalties.

If I was top dog in Ferrari I'd be furious with Sainz. Telemetry will tell all but overhead it looked like he was attacking Leclerc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭niallm77

Thats more on Sainz really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think either of them turned. I think when they exited the corner they both put their cars on converging lines because they were both trying to get behind Leclerc in front for the slipstream. Looked like the sun was in their eyes too, I dunno who is to blame but Perez must have known Sainz was there because Perez was behind him, had space to take avoiding action but didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sky's F1 analysis has firmly put the blame on Sainz , using the white lines on the track to show Sainz moving across and Sainz looking left before colliding with Perez , Sainz continuing to 'squeeze ' Perez after looking left.

Double points for Williams though, Franco Colapinto continues to impress. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next year.

Jolyon Palmer makes it 50/50 on his analysis pad. 20:00 time stamp.

https://www.youtube.com/live/9UksznsKo74?si=AuEPlMxb9nL__f9v

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Seieng both cars it seemed both cars naturally moved into the same space through little to no input from either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just watched race now (noon is a stupid time for a race). How impressive is Oscar? He was under pressure for so long and never looked like cracking at all. Surely he's McLaren's number 1 for the future?

Before the crash I had been thinking that Mercedes was super anonymous and yet George gets another podium out of nowhere.

Was any specific decision taken about the Sainz/Checo crash? Seems a 50/50 one from me anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I mentioned this after quali, but i feel it needs repeating now, the quality of sky's coverage has been dreadful all weekend. I didn't see any of the pre race or post race coverage, I just saw the quali and race coverage and the combination of Harry Benjamin and Karun Chandhok was just bad. Ted wasn't up to it either, regularly trying to speak over driver commentary.

Only bright spot was Bernie Collins as always. But hopefully if Crofty is missing for more races next year they have a better alternate pairing (maybe ensure that Brundle is there?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

didn’t miss Brundles pit walk blowing smoke up celebs arses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No further action regarding the crash.

Verstappen receives a warning for passing cars under a VSC after the chequered flag.

Well while Harry was subbing for Crofty, C4s old commentator, Ben Edwards was subbing for Harry on 5 Live. Pretty decent but not as good as peak C4F1 times.

I wonder if they should switch this to a night race. The low sun was causing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Why?

He is still 32 points behind Lando.

Oscar drove a phenomenal race to win today, but Lando done an equally good job today. His grid position was wasn't exactly down to any error in his part - just bad luck catching a yellow flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Barrett

I don't think he moved into Sainz but he could move towards the left to avoid the contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Agreed. I only seen the Sky Quali coverage but it was dismal. Channel 4 do it so much better. Sky would put you off F1 Channel 4 make it the greatest Sport in the World and sound Like they actually care and enjoy the sport unlike Sky where it's just about how much money they can make.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

All that F1 needs to do is to lift the GEO restriction on their F1TV App. The C4 stream/summary is taken from that.

They won’t because Sky pay them a load of money for exclusive broadcasting rights in uk and Ireland. I wish we weren’t lumped in with the UK and could get F1TV here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement