Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuel allowance

• 09-09-2024 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4

Hello

Can anyone tell me how long approx it takes to get a decision from online application for fuel allowance?

Should I contact via email or phone to check on status of claim?

Would it be recommended to ask a local TD to look in on the application?

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

About 2/3 weeks assuming you've supplied all information required. As for contacting your TD, utterly pointless they have absolutely no influence with regard to SW decisions.

You can check if application awarded on mywelfare

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

So you would consider it acceptable to contact a T.D. to help you skip the queue ? Do you qualify for Fuel Allowance? Is everyone in your household (if applicable) on a qualifying payment ?

You do realise this is the busiest time for Household Benefits and Fuel Allowance departments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you give the office that pays your core payment a quick call they can check if you are in payment for fuel allowance. I reapplied as I wasn’t sure if i needed to as my circumstances are always changing. I didn’t hear from them either and I applied months ago, quick call put my mind at rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Any TD reading reading this post must be doing their head in. The merry-go-round.Call Social Protection in Sligo for progress on application

The OP asked a ligitimate question & perhaps like many is under a Bizzare impression Local representatives, wether they be councilors or TD'S have any influence on DSP decisions, they absolutely don't.

Citizens info, Too, as I've discovered in the past appear to have little or vague knowledge about entitlements but they can at least make representations subject to written permission (GDPR).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Marzola

Was never suggesting I would ask a local TD for help to " skip the queue". Very unhelpful comment. The only reason I mentioned a local rep was because I applied on my elderly parents behalf and have never completed any application for benefits prior to this. Local rep's do not act unethically in my experience , they are usually very helpful in matters like this as they know the timeliness and potential pitfalls and can advise on these to avoid unnecessary delays. I asked advice to know if its a good idea to make contact in some form or another as I didn't know the timeline for decisions. Hope this clarifies.

TD's and/local reps are in my locality, happy to inform ppl on matters they are experienced in , ie. Decision times, application pitfalls etc. Especially when it comes to supporting elderly /vulnerable members of society.

I've phoned already, got no helpful information on the progress on the application. J

Thank you , its well over a month now since application was sent , so I will try phoning for info again. Thanks for the info on the timeline, totally new to this.

If there's been no decision within a month, something is wrong & it's possible they are seeking more documentation or info, that said they would have contacted you requesting same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What's your primary social welfare payment? If you're under 70 it has to be on the list of qualifying payments which is available here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/00aa38-fuel-allowance/

I ask this because, for example a lot of people think that they can get Fuel Allowance whilst on Illness Benefit when they actually can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭dells35

Hi just wondering did you hear back after? I also applied for my parent recently 3 and a half weeks ago have heard nothing back yet either?

Advertisement