Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crate training a new puppy, are we doing ok?

• 10-09-2024 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

We welcomed a cocker spaniel puppy into our lives last week. she seems to be settling in well and happy in herself. We crate her at night and sometimes during the day for an hour or two if needs must (my wife is stay at home at the moment so generally there is someone around all the time or the dog goes with them for school drop offs etc).

She is around 6kg so biggish for her age i guess (she was 11 weeks yesterday).

How its gone so far at night:

Night 1 cant remember!

Night 2

Crate 10.30pm Awake at 3.30am to wee, back in crate but didnt resettle til 4.40 and awake 6.15 am (longest sleep 5ish hours)

Night 3

Crate10.45pm Awake 12.50am to wee, back asleep 1.10am and awake at 6.10 am (longest sleep 5ish hours)

Night 4

Crate 10.30pm Awake 6.30am (wasnt up during night at all) longest sleep 8 hours, we had a big day that day she was out a lot (although as she hasnt had full vaccination yet not meeting other dogs etc)

Night 5

Crate 11pm Awake 12.55am to wee, back asleep and up at 6.15 again circa 5 hours

Night 6

Crate 10.40pm, awake 12.40 to wee, back asleep and up a 6.45 so 6 hours

What we have been doing is let her chill with my wife and i when we watch tv and then when we are going to bed crate her then.

Are we doing ok or should we not be getting up to her at 12.30-1.30 when she wakes. Looking at the above perhaps night 4 was just a fluke and really we should be aiming for 5 hours or so, so bed at 10.30 - 11 and expect to get up to her at 3.30-4, if she cries before that leave her?

Or is she a bit young yet for that?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It sounds like you’re doing great. I always get up with them and take them out when they cry and then back to bed like you say. It doesn’t feel like it at the time when you’re tired but it’s only for a few weeks. I have them in my room in the crate / pen and they usually settle straight away after going out. My youngest here didn’t cry at night (he just wee’d instead 😅) so I had to set an alarm to get him out and make his space smaller to start with. They’re all different and it can take some trial and error.

Advertisement