Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Not too bad you think? You must have missed the bit where Trump said that the Democrats support abortions after birth, and are in favour of executing new-born babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And Trump meanwhile refused to say he wants Ukraine to win against their invaders so his allegiances are pretty clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m loving the Taylor Swift endorsement of Harris for president - I don’t think Harris can win this on her own (but she’s certainly doing a great job of trying)- but to get an endorsement from a mega icon of young female and LGBTQ music fans- that can’t be a bad thing. Get out there and vote young people - you’ve only yourselves to blame if you don’t

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/sep/11/donald-trump-kamala-harris-us-presidential-debate-reaction-news-updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There wasn’t a lot to fact check with Harris as she didn’t tell any big lies unlike himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Shoog

That's what you defense of Trump has degraded down to. Good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

No he didn't, he said that 'everyone wanted roe vs wade overturned', he's even lying to the voters now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Trump also completely avoided the question as to why if he's so concerned about the border, did he kill the conservative border bill negotiated by Democrats and Conservative Republican James Lankford?

He didn't answer at all. Because Trump doesn't have policy. Just grievance. And he needs the border to be broken.

Even Trump himself admitted that he doesn't have any plans, only "a concept of a plan"!? Whatever that means. That statement would have been a death knell for any other presidential candidate. But of course Trump is graded on a curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The rules, as I understood them, about no pens or writing paper seem to have been leniently applied as I saw Harris writing at her desk. The debaters muted mikes rule [to stop one from interrupting the other person] seems to have been ineffective but maybe that was due to the studio being small and enclosed and the Mods mikes might have picked up the debaters carrying voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mark McKinnon long time GOP strategist & advisor just made a suggestion on CNN that would likely IMO lead to a blue tsunami in the swing states.

Taylor Swift to play a series of free concerts with admission being solely and simply proof of registration to vote regardless of partisan registration.

It won't happen but, it would both explode GOP strategists brains and the growth in youth registration would cripple the GOP for multiple cycles. The MAGA & GOP strategy relies on a disengaged youth vote and on convincing boomers to vote for the nostalgic America that never existed outside of leave it to beaver!

If, and it is a big if, the Dems can harness the youth vote and mobilise it? It is the 1st step in restoring a degree of hope for the future in the US, rather than vaingloriously seeking to live in their past.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought she mostly did very well at staying on topic. If she got the first response to a question, she usually gave a direct answer or policy headline related to the question and the had time at the end most of the time to throw in a slightly related dig at Trump. Trump would then either respond to the dig, or rant about how immigrants were all being sent over by foreign governments because by that point he'd forgotten what the question was due to the closing dig from Harris.

If Trump answered first there was possibly one line actually on the topic of the question, but then he reverted to the immigrants answer for pretty much everything. Harris then responded by answering the question in most cases, she did miss a couple of them and got dragged into responding to his rants, but most of the time she got back on topic, before throwing another dig back at him.

Trump then was left to close by shouting over the hosts and he was let away with it and got additional rants about immigrants in.

Think the only questions where Trump didn't default to it being the fault of immigrants was the January 6th/ would you do anything different and the question about racism which he blustered about denying that he said the things he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And in what world do you live in that you think that a story, from a known liar, about people going around kidnapping pets to eat them is, on balance probably true?

Surely the default is that it's probably false, at best a misunderstanding. But to think that it's probably true!

I just can't understand why anyone would not openly laugh at the idea. At least until some actual information is given. And information from an under pressure and known liar is not really worth much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Jeez, You just read the article title, interpreted it as Trump saying "Finish them off" and then posted it here. There's no hope debating anything with you.

Had you even just read the subtitle, he is clearly saying to finish the tyrade against the gazan people as it is not looking good for Israel.

The former president told an Israeli news outlet that images of destruction in Gaza were harming the country: “You’re losing a lot of the world.”

But I guess I can't stop you from blindly reading anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That was a masterstroke.

The one topic which Trump was answering every question with rants about both before and after, and when it actually came up as a topic she managed to get him ranting about crowd sizes at rallys and Biden instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really? He specifically condemns Putin and Netanyahu at his rallies? Like as a regular occurrence?

Strange he doesn’t say it while on TV then, or that it doesn’t regularly pop up on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭engineerws

Only managed 12 minutes. Both awful, Trump very dismissive and has little of substance. Kamala Harris said nice things but came across as insincere with no real policies.

As far as I see it, Trump will broker a peace in Ukraine, Kamala not interested in peace in Ukraine. Hard to know who would be worse in Israel, my guess is Kamala given her husband has come out as pro genocide but Trump's son in law is massively pro genocide too.

Trump spreading xenophobia is not great. They probably need to do something to accommodate or moderate the current high level of immigration but Trump's approach is not diplomatic or presidential.

Two dreadful candidates. Trump marginally better internationally and Kamala marginally better domestically.

The USA is meant to be a democracy. A shame Jill Stein wasn't allowed to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Virgil°

The facts brought to you by our local Russian sympathiser. Great to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The above post is patent nonsense.

Jill Stein. Would you grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Trump takes the bait a bit of immigration. But still focuses on the cluster **** that is the border. Harris doesnt really bat away the charge but instead goes after Trumps personal issue with the courts.

Not really answering the question, but I guess her base will like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He must really regret debating Biden so early now.

If it was Biden now, he’d have to stay on the ballot.

I guess it’s a dog eat dog world in politics…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

That's some leap you made there. It's all over the media for the last week in case ye missed it. The swifties are a powerfull lobby ye know

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2024/09/10/taylor-swifts-brittany-mahomes-controversy-explained/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How will Trump broker peace?

What peace terms will Putin accept?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This debate just showed Trump for the clown he Is.

Hopefully More debates to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I just woke an hour ago, catching up with the thread.

It's honestly hilarious how people think Trump possibly won that debate.

From people denying clear reality, to others who must turn down their volume, or pop out to make a cup of tea when the moderators are fact checking Trumps bizarre notion that "They're eating dogs!". I mean, it could be true, but it categorically is not true. And then you have people declare after watching a whole 12 minutes that she has no policies (watch the damn thing before rushing to judgement!) and others who tuned in at the end offering an opinion.

As someone else put it, much better than I...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Today fm news opening with his quote on eating cats and dogs.

Comes across as totally unhinged, I had a good giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As far as I see it, Trump will broker a peace in Ukraine…

…by threatening to withdraw all American military backing for Zelensky and thereby forcing him to concede to Putin the lands he has seized by force.

Finished your sentence for you. You're welcome.

How would Trump achieve peace between Ukraine/ Russia? Would this require Ukraine giving up territory, or Russia moving back home?

Trump was directly asked if he wanted Ukraine to win, and he didn't answer.

Pmed you, there is a separate thread for such discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Interesting. Just as a brief aside: I watched the debate live on Channel 4, could you say how you think the tv signals got from the US to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Widely reported by many news associations on it but seeing as how you didn't read the article let's try this question. During his tenure, preceding the Oct 7th attacks obviously, Trump moved the American embassy from tel aviv to Jerusalem? Do you think this quelled or inflamed the tensions there?

• Advertisement

Who knows Putin's latest is the four regions in addition to Istanbul 2022 terms. The more they fight the worse the terms are for Ukraine.

Advertisement