Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭engineerws

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Now I know you're probably required to write that scutter, but c'mon.

Even you must know that you're in a minority of none believing that nonsense. Because unless you're severely intellectually challenged or throw ketchup at the wall crazy, you don't believe that rubbish either. And you're even more deluded if you believe a single person here will actually buy this drivel.

I give you the same advice Harrison Ford gave George Lucas. Say it out loud what you're typing. If it sounds ridiculous, it probably is.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I'm afraid that if Haitians arrive here they'll eat my dog.

But don't challenge me on it - there's a separate Pets forum for that discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Shoog

Russia will keep on fighting until they reach their strategic objective or are defeated. Ukraine has no choice but to resist the occupational army. People in Europe's interests are with resisting a European aggressor.

So no there is no real choice for Europe but to support Ukraine's resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭feelings

I have colleagues in the US who believe that immigrants are doing exactly what Trump said. 🙄 He is their "god" and there is no swaying them away from the MAGA madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Right, enough of this nonsensical talk about both candidates being as bad as each other on here. Trump shills are properly gutted, and they should be.

BUT! The most honest thing I read was a CNN headline which said, 'Harris won the debate, but it may not shape the election'.

But lets look at some solid data. Polling conducted in the 12 hours since:

Voters:

Debate has not changed my vote: 82%

Has changed some positions but not my vote: 14%

May have changed my vote: 4%

Who performed better:

Harris 63% Trump 37%

Who understands Americans' problems:

Pre-debate Trump 43-39

Post-debate Harris 44-40

Who will better handle the economy:

Trump 55-35, undecided 10%. This figure did NOT change post debate.

Trump favourability:

Viewed unfavourably by intending voters: 51

Viewed favourably by intending voters: 39

Also did NOT change post debate.

Who will better improve medical care/costs for Americans:

Harris 66-32

The last national Poll by the New York Times, conducted btwn 3rd and 9th Sept shows Trump at 48, Harris at 47, margin of error 2.8%

This Sunday coming will see a slew of new deep polling published, nationally and more importantly in the 10 or so States that are 'in play'.

Thats when we'll know if this debate has moved the dial really at all, or whether momentum either way is changing for other factors....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hope you corrected them and say that there's no verified reports on this happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

You'll have to excuse me if I the ignore opinion of someone that watches 12 minutes of a 90 minute debate and then tries to tell me what they did or didn't see.

Post edited by SteM on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They've even got a new chant

Haitians, wherever they may be

They eat dogs in other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Thanks for that message.

So Putin gets to keep the four regions is your peace plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That poster's 'logic' appears to be it would be better for Ukraine if America forced them to accept Russia's seizure of the amount of land they currently occupy because if Ukraine fights on they will only end up losing more…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Both terrible candidates. No changes will come in relation to the US policy towards Israel.

I presume Taylor Swift would give Trump her second preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

While my hat is totally off to Harris in many respects, I personally don’t think she moved the dial too much on either the economy or security- the two big guns that Trump has led out on in previous polls - this has to change in the coming weeks along with speaking directly to, not lecturing at, the voters in the swing states .

In terms of polls, I’m really hoping there’s an underlying unidentified wave of support for Harris thats impossible to uncover using the current polling system but will spring up come polling day- might be mad hoping for that but you can’t get a worse version of Trump than he is right now - and there’s unprecedented support for a democratic candidate from all sorts of places including the republicans themselves. I’m praying for red states turning blue - if she keeps concentrating on the voters that count now, she has a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Do you honestly think they're as "terrible" as each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It does seem to annoy people whenever Harris or Biden were or are called terrible candidates. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The same kind of peace he 'brokered' in Afghanistan? Where he surrendered to the Taliban and released prisoners?
    That's no peace, that's surrender.

If you care about the fate of Ukrainian civilians you would not want to leave them to the kind of peace Trump would have in store for them.

But that's exactly what Trump would do.

Trump isn't interested in peace. He isn't interested in Russia raping, murdering… when has he ever condemned any of Russia's atrocities or war crimes? Well? Because that isn't any kind of peace is it?

But then, you couldn't expect a rapist to care about rapes could you?

Trump is pro genocide and pro rape.
    Do you think the kind of guy who spreads racist drivel about immigrants "poisoning the blood of the nation" or eating pets cares a damn for peace in Ukraine?
    He just wants walk away and to leave his buddy Putin to carve it up. A little piece here, a little piece there, a piece of the action.

Kamala Harris is not interested in that kind of 'peace'. Nor is Ukraine. Nor should they be.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't know. Why not answer the question I asked? Do you think Trump and Harris are equally terrible?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Only managed 12 minutes. Both awful, Trump very dismissive and has little of substance. Kamala Harris said nice things but came across as insincere with no real policies.

Trump had absolutely nothing of substance.
    If Harris came across as insincere to you then that's just your take. Most seem to see her appearance differently to you.

As far as I see it, Trump will broker a peace in Ukraine, Kamala not interested in peace in Ukraine. Hard to know who would be worse in Israel, my guess is Kamala given her husband has come out as pro genocide but Trump's son in law is massively pro genocide too.

Trump's idea of a peace deal is to give Ukraine to Putin. He has no other plan for the country.
    Harris described how she has helped Ukraine both before and during the war.

As for who would be worse in Israel, it hasn't been discussed. However, Trump definitley would be worse in Gaza (which is ont Israel despite Israel's actions!) having given his blessing to Netanyahu to carry on with his genocide.

Harris has also condemned the slaughter of the innocent people in Gaza.

Trump spreading xenophobia is not great. They probably need to do something to accommodate or moderate the current high level of immigration but Trump's approach is not diplomatic or presidential.

Trump has shown his racist side on numerous occasions and also happily aligns with racist groups.
    His current presedential campaign has sunk to the level of questioning a black woman on whether she is black.
    There is no question on his xenophobia.

Trump also encouraged measures to curb immigration in case Harris got the Kudos.

Two dreadful candidates. Trump marginally better internationally and Kamala marginally better domestically.

Trump is a laughing stock internationally and only blinkered followers would disagree with the idea that he is Putins lapdog. He would be a complete disaster both domestically and internationally. He is a cretin who has manage to fail upwards. He reduced the position of POTUS to one of sleaze and self-interest. He is a failed president and the world would be worse off if he somehow managed to get himself re-elected.

On the flip side, Harris would be viewed as somehow tough but fair offering an intelligent perspective (especially when compared to someone whose only reading material is a McDonald's menu). Most would agree that having a woman of colour will help change bigoted mindsets around the world.

The USA is meant to be a democracy. A shame Jill Stein wasn't allowed to speak.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

What did Harris say to balance trump's lie about migrants eating pets that balances the spectrum for you and makes them both terrible candidates?

Yeah. So big even Trump noticed. That's why he wants Israel to get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭yagan

Even if you believe nothing you hear trumps moving of the US consolate from tel Aviv to Jerusalem was a clear rejection of any two state solution.

Harris is part of the current administration there right now. Some people seem to be ignoring this.

What annoys me is people answering a question with a question, but I suspect you know that.

If you think a racist, crooked rapist is equally as "terrible" as Harris and can't explain why, that's on you and your internal dialogue. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gods forget it’s Trump for a second and this is literally anyone who has to talk their senior citizen parent down off a ledge from something they “heard on tv” this exchange revealed his age like nothing else just an only man wandering the halls of a nursing home angry with the nurse because she “took and ate his dog” that he hasn’t seen in 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

No one is suggesting they're equally terrible. People are simply pointing out that Harris is a terrible candidate. No significant policy changes from the current administration, e.g. the same let Israel commit genocide attitude as Biden. No manifesto that Americans can use to hold her to account. She's promising nothing and expecting people to elect her because Trump is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Advertisement

The question wasn't asked of you, I was asking the poster who said they're both terrible candidates

Advertisement