Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dear fact checker please cite your definition of criminal conviction 😂

I've addressed and corrected what I said. I have owned my incorrect statement

You havent

Sure thing. It is when a dumb ass thinks that a conviction doesnt happen until sentencing. Hope that helps. It doesnt help me obviously but here we are 😂 Live and learn and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If you found out a bloke who you wanted to put in a position or power or trust, was held liable for sexual assault, and you didn't want to have him around because he was a rapist that and when you told him that, he said "well, it wasn't rape. It was sexual assault, because she couldn't categorically say if it was my penis or my finger, so technically it wasn't rape. Oh, and again, technically I wasn't convicted of sexual assault. I was held liable in a civil case."

Would you

A) say fair enough mate. I'm completely in the wrong there. Thanks for fact checking me

Or

B) say that you don't give two f*cks for the stupid semantics, get the f*ck out of here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

That wasn't actually me... He's been found liable for sexual assault however when he appealed, the judge clarified that it can be referred to as a rape. So it's perfectly acceptable from a legal perspective to refer to him as a rapist. It says a lot that most of your posts on Trump have been downplaying a rape..

I didn't say it so I have nothing to correct... 😂

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/19/trump-carroll-judge-rape/

Taylor Swift then endorses Harris

Un-f*cking-believable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I didn’t watch the debate but I watched the highlights and I was surprised at how easy it was for Harris to get under his skin and bait him in to talking absolute nonsense. I wouldn’t say his performance was a car crash but it was not good at all.

There’s a lesson to be learned here for both parties. Pick proper candidates ffs. Forget the geriatrics and the lunatics. Harris is the first strong candidate put forward for a US presidential election since Obama and it looks like she’s going to stomp Trump in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

Well they think the public are fools (counting on it)

Are the Dems merchandizing cuddly wind up Trump dolls that vocalize "People are eating pets" yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just to be clear, you cannot appeal a conviction (which is what he is doing) unless you have been convicted.

For example, I cant appeal a murder charge unless I was convicted of that charge in a court!

The man is a 34-time convicted felon. There is no debate at all about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

"

I wouldn’t say his performance was a car crash but it was not good at all

"

An absolute car crash but is it "same old ,same old"?

Was it "crowd size" that got his attention? (his eyes popped open)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

These people are fucking mental.

In any other country in the world they'd be getting professional help. In America, they have positions of (relative) power and influence.

If the founding fathers could see how low the nation has slipped, they'd probably give it back to the Native Americans.

Fuck

ing

hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

He is convicted by a jury but not yet sentenced.

He is a rapist. He tried to sue Carroll for defamation but he failed because the judge in question said it was substantially true that he raped Caroll (i.e. if he did what he was convicted of anywhere else other than the state of NY then it would carry a rape conviction).

There's sociopath/psychopath written all over that face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would dearly love to see the GOP literally shoot themselves in the head by shutting down the Government just before the election.

Go for it Trump, knock yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

why were you surprised? Trump has always been easy to rile up. Even journalists do it regularly.

The hope, from Team Trump, was that he would curb his natural tendencies and not be so easily riled up, but he failed to act differently.

What was different was Harris. In the past when Trump has been riled up the other person reacts to his reaction. THey rile him up, he goes off on a rant or a snide comment, and they react and go down the rabbit hole with him. Harris didn't. She just let Trump wander off on his own. She didn't react to the Markist claim. Or the turned black claim. Or the killing babies after birth. She stuck to her plan and let Trump be Trump.

• Advertisement

Trump worshippers don't want facts. They only get in the way of their baseless belief.

Their god king told them that foreigners were eating people's pets. So it must be true.

The other voice in his head. The semi-rational one that's trying to push out all the Trump infused shite that got in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On the pets eating, while the claim by Trump was stupid it was perfectly in line with the crazy stuff he comes out with normally.

I found the most telling part was when the moderator called him on it and said the Major had denied it and Trump meekly responded by saying "I saw it on TV!".

Now, that might pass as acceptable, or at least understandable, in an internet forum, this is a man running to be POTUS. A. man with secret service protection, access to state security reports and an open line to pretty much any person in the US. And he is not only relying on something he sees on TV but thinks that it is appropriate to use this as his reasoning in a national debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is up there with the bleach comment during covid.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I was going to 100% agree with you until you said Kamala was a strong candidate.

Kamala like her or loath her, is a figure head candidate. Nobody is any clearer following the debate, what her actual views on anything are. Her policies are a copy and paste from Biden and do not represent what she stood for 4 years ago. When asked about them she pivots (like all politicians aside form Trump who gets defensive and talks about how great his rallies are). She hasnt answered a genuine question since Joe stepped down.

Trump is the opposite of that. He wont shut up. If he shut the F up after the assassination attempt he would have won it by now. While the Dems are bigger than Harris, Trump is currently bigger than the Reps. If they could control him dont you think they would.

The problem is if Trump gets in, we will probably see Vance in 4 years, which will be just Trump on hyper speed. I think he is actually a decent politician if you can separate him from Trump policies, but some of his views are way to right sided. While Trump (believe him or not) says he isnt pro abortion ban, I think Vance is. The only hope would be that RFK Jr gets the nod. But I dont think Trump can control him so I doubt that will happen.

if Kamala gets in we will see her run again in 4 years. No matter how she does. Kamala in charge is basically Sinn Fein in charge of Ireland. It is the people behind the figure head that will be running things.

Both sides badly need a fresh start and fresh faces. They both need to abandon the extremes and get back to center politics. The woke nonsense and the cousin loving church worshipers need to be the ones who complain about lack of representation. Not the normal folk who just want to raise a family, work their jobs, pay their taxes and live. The crazies are a small but very loud minority on both sides. They are the activists and thats why they are heard.

• Advertisement

"The only hope would be that RFK Jr gets the nod. But I dont think Trump can control him so I doubt that will happen.

if Kamala gets in we will see her run again in 4 years. No matter how she does. Kamala in charge is basically Sinn Fein in charge of Ireland. It is the people behind the figure head that will be running things.

Both sides…"

Now the "defence of trump under the pretence of fact checking" makes sense...

Honestly wonder about people who think about RFK so fondly... His family won't back him.

Help us RFK you are our only hope…

If your the only hope is an anti vax, anti semite wingnut disowned by most of his family, who was flogging his support to Trump and Harris in exchange for a job… I think the hope is misplaced.

Which part dont you agree with?

Do you think that Trump is currently running the Republican party? Its well documented that he is. When Trump is gone (in 2 months or 4 years) he will likely want to be running the Rep party the way Obama is running the Dems right now. Maybe not "in charge", but at least very vocally influential about the direction of the party.

Compare that to Kamala.
    She has rolled back on nearly everythings he ever stood for. She hasnt had a single question in a 1-1 capacity since entering the race. She wasnt fact checked nor was she pushed to answering anything at the debate. What did you learn form the debate about Harris that you didnt already know? Because that was what the polls were saying before hand. Only 35ish % of her voters actually knew enough about her policies. Thats compared to 65% of Trumps. I am not saying that she is a puppet or anything. But I am saying that she is literally a stand in. What has she done to be in the race other than be in the right place at the right time. This is literally a season from house of cards (probably not literally as I lost interest after season 2).

The "defence of Trump" was calling out the usual nonsense in here. Its all been one sided. Look back on any random page and its all "Trump is evil". The whole forum might as well be called "The F Trump" forum. If anyone even so happens to mention anything positive about Trump it will be **** down and reported immediately.

As for the fact checking…………. thats called being light hearted and not wound up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's a choice between two people. This is how US politics works. I think your appeal is to get back to the more centrist politics would find broad agreement here, but it's mainly Trump and could who have been bringing the insanity the last eight years. They're the ones who need to go away before this return to normality can really happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Vance is extremely unlikeable and is toast

And his cat lady comments quite possibly cost Trump this presidency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Trump is a senile old man with mental issues who is visibly deteriorating day after day

the only thing that will be running is drool down the side of his face when he is eventually locked behind bars

it was the most old man yells at cloud retort I have heard from Trump in a minute, and gives away the infirmities of his advanced age. 78 years old and not getting younger or sharper

This is conspiracy theory nonsense.

The reason why SF are criticised is because the shadowy figures that lurk in the background have links to terrorism and criminality. Simon Harris isn't a dictator, he is the leader but he has to work with FG, both elected politicians and national executives etc
    He can't just do a solo run on policy.
    Is he a figurehead of FG?

Kamala Harris is the head of the Democratic party organisation, which is a broad coalition, both geographically and ideologically.
    Do you think Biden's policies were all his own?
    Obama's?
    Bill Clintons?
    The Democratic party are bigger than their Presidential candidate, and that is a good thing.
    Harris is a consensus politician of the Democratic Party in 2024.

If you don't want extremism, you are more likely to get it from Trump who is "bigger" than his party, or rather seems to have them under his thumb. Trump is bigger than the media too.

So you should welcome Kamala Harris as a typical consensus Democrat, if anything.
    Kamala Harris, who as a consensus Democrat is going to be more attuned to the Democratic representatives in Congress, the media etc

And as for RFK jnr. If your the only hope is an anti vax, anti semite conspiracy theorist disowned by most of his family, who was flogging his support to Trump and Harris in exchange for a job… it says a lot that you think he brings any 'hope' for the future.

He is actually a really good politician. Not all his family are against him and not all his family are saints.

Environmental Protection

• Climate Change: Kennedy has a long history of environmental advocacy, having worked for organizations like the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and the Waterkeeper Alliance. He believes in taking action to mitigate climate change but may focus on corporate responsibility and pollution control more than broad regulatory efforts.
    • Clean Energy: He supports transitioning to renewable energy but has expressed skepticism about certain aspects of "green" technology, like wind farms, that he believes may have environmental downsides.

Corporate Power and Regulatory Capture

• Kennedy often talks about the "corporate takeover" of government institutions, arguing that regulatory agencies like the FDA, EPA, and CDC are controlled by the industries they are meant to regulate. He advocates for reducing corporate influence over these agencies and increasing transparency.

Economic Policy

• Populist Economic Ideas: RFK Jr. often emphasizes the need to support the middle class and address income inequality. While he hasn't laid out a comprehensive economic plan, he frequently talks about the struggles of ordinary Americans and the need for policies that address corporate concentration of power and wealth.
    • Taxation: He has generally supported progressive taxation but is also critical of high taxation when it impacts middle-class Americans.

The problem is his conspiracy stuff. He is a complete nut job.

He is a complete Jekyll Hyde. If you could separate the two you could have a decent candidate.

• Advertisement

not for nothing, RFKjr has said there are only 3 animals he would not eat - and cat was not one of the 3.

You just criticised Harris for adopting Biden policies, an administration and party she was a member of.

Yet you give RFK jnr a free pass for selling out his previous environmental positions, to join Trump in a different party… Drill Baby Drill Trump?

So the claim that he is a "really good politician" has negative credibility when you trip over your own declared standards.

You can't just discount the conspiracy theories which included a book targeting Fauci then sold out all his ideals and endorsed Trump. A guy who literally doesn't believe in climate change. I guess they agree on vaccines and such...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anyone who thinks JD Vance is "a decent politician" deserves to have their opinions derided.

More flip flops than an RTE goodie bag.

You complain about Harris rowing back on previous decisions, yet laud RFK, who, as the other poster noted, tried his hand with the Dems, then went with Trump. That's Kennedy, who was a big environmentalist yet sucks it up to be with Trump. RFK gets a pass.

You also mention Trump's policies. What policies exactly? Mass deportation and punishing people who burn the flag! He has no policy on infrastructure, health, employment - nothing. Again, Trump gets a pass.

Harris has been shoved into the spotlight with a few months to go. She is buoyed by Biden's success but she will have to put her own stamp on policy. That is true.
    But compared to the two utter clowns you have mentioned, she is remarkably more professional, qualified and trustworthy.

Oh, and addressing the last paragraph of your post…

"The "defence of Trump" was calling out the usual nonsense in here. Its all been one sided. Look back on any random page and its all "Trump is evil". The whole forum might as well be called "The F Trump" forum. If anyone even so happens to mention anything positive about Trump it will be **** down and reported immediately."

Name one redeemable quality about that man.
    I say the following, and would more than happy for you to rebut. Feel free to use the same numerical format.

1. He is a narcissist
    2. He is a fascist
    3. He is a racist
    4. He is a fraudster
    5. He is a misogynist
    6. He is a sexual assaulter
    7. He is an unrepentant defamer
    8. He is a prolific liar
    9. He spreads despicable conspiracy theories
    10. He is a serial adulterer
    11. He is incompetent
    12. He is a multiple bankrupt

The selection for the next president of the United States is a binary choice. There are realistically two names on the docket.

It is going to be Harris, or this other fella. That's the choice.

And the reality is, there should be no f**king choice. He is utterly disqualified by the above facts. Utterly.

Actually I think quiet the opposite. Look at his rally with the Fire dept. He got some heckles and handled it really well. He stayed on point and won a lot of the crowd around. Even look at other interviews pre this election run. Out of the two candidates and running mates, he is probably the most natural speaker. The Cat lady comment was how long ago? It is being used by the opposition in a smart way. But imagine he insinuated that Walz had sex with a couch…………… That would be deemed way more disgusting, but right now its not.

That seems to be stated a bit around here. What mental issues or senility has he displayed? Where have you seen any deteriorating?

At the debate he droned on but thats what he does. Thats not senility. The mod asking the first question said "Ms Harris, when You and President Trump were elected 4 years ago……….." Does that mean that David Muir is senile or did he just say the wrong name?

When people called Joe Biden senile, it is literally because he seemed confused about where he was on multiple occasions. He always got names wrong and seemed to be very off. The fact that he was working a reduced schedule and is barely even working as president right now is telling.

Fan fact, Joe Biden was found too senile to be convicted for taking documents (that dems still want to punish Trump for). This is personal against Trump.

If he wins the election he will, the bigger question is that Trump will be actively dangerous if he loses. That's demonstrably happened before with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The issue is you cannot seperate the two. There's that massive But that cannot be escaped, unseen, or denied. They could be the most perfect candidate but for the conspiracy spouting anti-vax crap that cannot be denied.

It'd be like a poster here who may sound to talk a lot of sense, however if their first statement was something so demonstrably false (and easily proven so), like trump has never been convicted of any crimes, then it'd be hard to take anything they say forthwith with any credulity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think it was posted in the other thread. But John Oliver absolutely smashes that nonsense. Worth a watch.

Horrible dangerous individual, who has been promised a health role in Trumps administration.

Again, God Help America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Remember also that RFK is an anti-vaxx crank. Trump boasted about being behind Operation Warp Speed to develop the Covid vaccine.

This puts a lot of people in an awkward position. RFK cause it's another thing he's betraying. Trump because his pro vaccine stuff puts him at odds with the more Alex Jones end of his base.

And of course their supporter who won't want to acknowledge or think about this issue at all.

Ah sure, he just just killed like 80 people…

One of the problems is not just Trump himself but the absolute ghouls he will pack his administration with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he is a smart guy , I like someone that is naturally one side but can look over the fence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

He's closely associated with Peter Thiel who effectively chose Trump's running mate... So I'm not sure how he's naturally one side... The reality is, Trump has tried to overthrow an election result once before already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Secret cabal running the world? Oh you'd better believe that's antisemitic dog-whistling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The "intellectual dark web" guy? He's got some errm…ideas…that's for sure.

He was also, until a couple of years ago, the MD of Thiel Capital; so I think I'll give him a swerve if I want to read something serious.

The fact his Twitter involves him being excited with the concept of Elon Musk being in government says a lot about his ideals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

another centrist ? I know, you are only asking questions

Just posting lots of contrarian positions on Trump and Russia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement