Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

you’re now speaking on behalf of all people.

It’s obvious that Trump is not aiming his comments at you nor I. Most likely it’s uneducated or poorly educated low income white people in swing states these comments are aimed at - and I guarantee you two things:

1. Many are now associating this powerful mental image with immigration
    2. They have forgotten that they are poor for a second and without a decent job, and immigration has now gone up to the top of their worries or at least has risen greatly in their estimation of election issues - and who do you think leads the polls in border security?

Job Done! QED

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is it a full moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Shoog

It doesn't work. There are no pink elephants.

You are the mark.

• Advertisement

you thought of one regardless - you can’t not

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ie/blog/letters-from-your-therapist/202303/the-pink-elephant-problem?amp

I didn't, don't imagine you understand what went through my mind - I saw words not an image of a pink elephant.

We get it, your telling us your impressionable, I feel for you.

To be clear- I never asked you to develop a mental image of a pink elephant- I just told you “don’t think of pink elephants”- you’ve just admitted to me that you did.

I’m not saying you or most people will believe immigrants are “cat eaters” when you see them - that’s not what this is about - but considering we’ve been discussing this for the last page, ( and by the way this is all about Trump btw and the tactics he’s used through the years in case anyone thinks this is off topic) the term of “cat eaters” coming into your mind, which is what I’ve said all along, is most likely an inevitability at this stage-,it doesn’t mean your a bad person- it doesn’t mean you have any beliefs towards this correlation - in fact it’s clear you don’t - but that doesn’t mean the term won’t hop into your mind, even just for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Any trump supporter, or self proclaimed "centrist", has absolutely no leg to stand on, criticising how Harris legally came to be on the ticket, by calling it a coup or any other name, in circumstances where Trump incited a riot so as to illegally prevent the proper transfer of power.

Absolutely none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Trump has been talking about immigration since he decided to run for the 2016 election.

Whyy do you think now it has just caught on. Why did it take this long

• Advertisement

I saw two words which did not make any sense. You tried to play a mental trick and my brain didn't bite. Which is similar to your whole thesis about forcing people to think of cat/dog eating immigrant. If your impressionable maybe it would work - but your basic thesis is deeply flawed and doesn't apply to a significant majority of people.

Its quite revealing though but not in the way you imagine.

Eh it took hold in 2016 - “build a wall”- remember? Thats one of the reasons he got elected and it’s sown the seeds of hate against the vulnerable and dispossessed ever since.
    Trump has led polls in the area of “security”- quite significantly in fact- and he’s using this poll lead to his advantage by stirring up as much fear and as much hate as possible- because American voters have said in polls, when it comes to matter of home security they feel safer with Trump than they do with Biden/Harris.

This is all about the party election and the key issues that will drive voters towards Trump - and all I’m doing is commenting on this and bringing forward the psychological and neuro linguistic programming tactics Trump is using to get those votes.
    people are taking this all too personally including name calling me - so be it. Talk about shoot the messenger- you’d swear I called someone a cat eater.

I linked above to psychological studies that beg to differ - please stop getting personal with me- fine if you don’t want to believe but don’t get personal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You are making an absolute fool of yourself with this amateur psychology stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Neuro linguistic programming is nonsense.

It's a marketing gimmick for the gullible and technobabble to make Derren Brown sound cool.

You might as well be trying to claim that he was trying to hypnotise people.

He isn't using some super advanced mental programming, he just repeated a racist lie he thought would score him points and would rile the racists and conspiracy theorists in his base. But because he's not very smart this instead just came across as racist rambling.

Even If your theory that he's trying his woo woo mind tricks was true, you understand it's something bad right? You agree it's something a bad person who shouldn't be president does. It's a bad thing to tell a racist lie to try and trick them into voting for you.

The point was that the claim that Pence never ran for president was false.

The question was for Trump supporters to explain what he did while he was VP.

Trump supporters don't want to admit the answer because it undermines their point.

Pence was a good VP in that he didn't go along with Trumps madness to not certify his loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He won 2016 due to the electoral college and an unpopular democratic nomination. Still lost the popular vote. In terms of issues immigration has been 5th at best.

Next you claim success at your experiment as people have been engaging with you

Tell me, where have I said what he’s doing is “good”? How you could possibly jump to that conclusion with any of my posts is just ridiculous - it’s a clear case of shooting the messenger. But do of course go back and quote me verbatim where I have said this is “good”.

There are plenty of psychological studies out there on Trumps speeches and way of engaging with his audience - just one of many such studies below.

Trump has a natural speaking style which he’s greatly using to his advantage and yes, the less educated are those who are most at risk of being taken in by it. But I have said all of that a number of times but yet you and others believe this is just something I’m making up- so be it. I hope you have full consciousness on just how you processes information coming your way every day, because your post doesn’t fill me with much hope- you’ve added 2+2 and got 7

https://qz.com/965004/rhetoric-scholars-pinpoint-why-trumps-inarticulate-speaking-style-is-so-persuasive

Please tell me where in my post I claimed that.

But I will take your offense to mean you argee that it was a bad thing for him to do to make that false racist claim, even though you don't directly state this.

But neurolingustic programming is still nonsense and doesn't actually work. You are ascribing superpowers to Trump and him having a level of tactics that he simply isn't using.

He's not using a mind trick on people. He told a racist lie. To most, it came off as racist and crazy. To racists it came off as him telling the truth.

There's a contingent of Trump supporters however who understand its racist, but are bending over backwards to explain why it's not racist, or how it's a super secret tactic or they just straight out ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭trashcan

But he’s playing to people who are already his base with this sort of thing. Of course they will lap it up and readily believe it. Everyone else just thinks he’s b@tsh1t crazy and coming across as unhinged. Same goes for kidnapping kids at school and performing sex change operations on them, and “abortions” after birth. So it’s not going to win him any new voters.

I haven’t “experimented” in any way - I’m not sure where you’re getting that from. I asked someone not to think of piink elephant and they did, told me they did, and then denied it. It wasn’t an experiment - it’s a well known psychology theory called ironic process theory.

Using powerful and especially repulsive imagery is also an extremely powerful method of getting your message across - Trump uses this continuously - a study on mental imagery below cited more than 300 times.

Trump is surrounding himself by well known manipulators - those people know only too well the power of psychology in speeches and talks - it’s how they make their money. And the people most susceptible to such speeches are the swing voters, especially the poor white voters .

If Harris comes in all academic and big words and long sentences these people won’t hear her - but they’ll hear Trump, because his speeches are known to resonate with this audience by their simplicity repetition and the fact you have to listen closer to totally understand his ramblings

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/50954164/The_causal_effect_of_mental_imagery_on_e20161218-8353-1sh69ml-libre.pdf?1482091916=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DThe_causal_effect_of_mental_imagery_on_e.pdf&Expires=1726358617&Signature=EyB1vcApswmTepv71d2u69oagvJOm6A0oVln3NVesUdcZXEJwI5RfHYtHo-VYWp0gP1cCnf0CJaEFt4EAnDHRE0vN1N-DvMhGZ9BkzdhgxyPC9n~EXDSI1isKvgAb56CUGycxLZR01Rd75reLvYnAisflj8u86xj3LLnz0mKMm8E0wbcwxe0iJg3TG~-TdYr~vUHiSZURXDe-49zvcDE1tY4wulWG0ce97Dp4xQ17cl7bXg8~EiEAGBYuX47Mg9e3~k2FXkR8nDLsPTH3vuRhPXN49Sp4hVdowaoj91c~BgMj7R26pogyIgqUAU23M6AJJ6Sw0byxBpttjANmPGHTA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

“Please tell me where in my post I claimed that.”
    Inference. The fact you felt you had to ask me a clarifying question around my intention for posting what I posted, was enough.

So you assumed it rather that me actually saying it?

Sorry man, can't control what people infer from what I actually write.

I asked those questions as clarification. No need to get offended by them. No need to shoot the messenger.

We agree that Trump told a racist lie and this is something that disqualifies him as being a good president.

You believe that he told this racist lie because he's using magic mind control tactics and neurolingustic programming.

I believe that he told it because he's racist liar.

So you remembered all of that- wonderful. Now tell me all the wonderful things Harris said in her speeches? Can you remember with the same clarity, succinctness and readiness? Maybe you can - but I’ll bet the swing voters, and remember, it’s only these people that essentially count- I bet they don’t remember much of what Harris said

What you believe doesn’t matter - -it’s the impact of what Trump says on his audience of swing voters is all that matters -

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

True? Absolutely not.

A memorable quote? Absolutely it is - doesn’t matter if it’s for all the wrong reasons, it will stick in the memory.

Will it impact how people vote? For many no, but for some yes. They may not fully believe it or may partially believe it - but it’s the emotion that it rises that’s important. And for swing voters right now, emotion and how either Harris or Trump makes them “feel” is everything

It’s to Trumps advantage to raise fear levels- because he’s rated higher as a protector than Harris is or at least was up to recently

Yes. And neuro lingustic programming is nonsense. It doesn't actually work. You're ascribing super powers to Trump and a level of strategy he simply isn't using.

He didn't claim that foreigners were eating pets to mind control swing voters.

He claimed it because he's a racist and is bad at filtering his rants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I wonder if these bomb threats are an early October surprise. Any chance of turning Ohio blue.

Advertisement