Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Recent polls show neck and neck race in swing states, not much of a boost from the DNC or Debate, and that's not including the 2nd assassination attempt on Trump.

Thank feck celebrities and late night comedians don't decide elections, keep living in your bubbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

This works both ways. If Trump saw little boost to his polling after the first assassination attempt (and few would disagree that it was a dramatic event) then it's hard to think of much which would influence things to any great extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is the US. Multiple kids were slaughtered in school a few weeks back and it is already old hat. Trump didn't even get grazed this time around so I can't imagine Americans caring about this for very long.

Vance wasn't entirely wrong. Shootings are a fact of life in the US and people are happy just to ignore them if it doesn't directly effect them. It would be a major story for weeks in any other country but people are unlikely to care about this shooting were no one died in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Plus it wasn't even a shooting. He never got a shot off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've said the same thing before.

He could have strollllllllllllllled home in 2020 if he had resisted the urge to grab ratings and highlights with Covid and hadn't succumbed to his base urges with respect to BLM.

It would have been so so easy for him. Now is not the time for change, lets calm down, listen to the experts and we'll get through this.

He couldn't, he didn't, he did exactly the opposite. The man is the living embodiment of so many caricatures of bad leaders we've read about existing throughout history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Aren't they the same polls that showed Biden being beaten significantly by Trump until the end of July?

Just yesterday a poll related to Iowa shows that Trumps margin has gone from 18 points lead to just 4 in a state that was supposed to be a dead cert for Trump. Iowa being close says very bad things for Trump nationally.

I know because Jimmy Kimmel texted me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The second “attempt” has raised the heat in terms of the political atmosphere and has likely created more fear in certain voters - the fearful will drift towards Trump in my view - that’s not good for swing states where the “undecided” are already probably not feeling the love over the economy jobs and what not

Has it? This is a country that forgets school shootings in a week. Outside of die hard fans I would guess most Americans care more about kids than Trump. Someone died at the first attempt and it didn't really register.

The president or presidential candidate doesn’t get shot that often - and much and all that a shooting of a child in a school is tragic they’re not known by the public outside of their locality - I think there’s a distinct difference between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, presidential shootings are a bi-monthly event they hold rather than the weekly school events.

I would counter that few people know a president or presidential candidate but they do know kids that it could happen to which would bring it back.

I think it will be big among Trump supporters as he is a beloved celebrity to them. You can think about how Swifties would react. However his best chance with independents to discredit Harris as opposed to make them like him on account of being known as a terrible person. What are independents fearful of? They aren't getting shot at and neither is one of their loved ones and a repeat attack wouldn't hit their loved ones either.

The attack on Pelosi's home was treated as a joke by Republicans who was another high ranking politician. It didn't exactly make waves for too long. These attacks are going to get more common with the division and the amount of shooters who want to be in a headline in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Sorry, yes you're correct. But they didn't get the prime minister posting despite being the largest party and it seems they've been forced to roll back some of their more controversial policies

My point is that generally multi party systems force compromise between opposing parties

In the US there's only 2 parties and they both poll very close to 50%. Because they're so close to "winning" there's no real incentive for them to soften any of their views or work with the opposing side

To put it another way, if Trump was polling around 30% then he'd either quickly shift his rhetoric closer to the centre or he'd find himself being ejected by the party

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Why is it that each possible interpretation, or even improbable interpretation, seems to lead you to believe it will assist trump?

Melanie's book, the dog eating story, the second (apparent) shooter...

All of these, to most, either wouldn't move the needle at all for trump or, would move it in the other direction.

Curious. I think I'm sensing a pattern here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Redliketoast

You know you can question someone's eligibility ti run for president without it being racist?

For example what if Schwarzenegger wanted to go for president? He wouldn't be allowed ad he wasn't born in America. Is that racist? Is it xenophobic?

No it's questioning someone's eligibility.

The birthing conspiracy was completely stupid. I wouldn't have said it. I think it's ridiculous saying it. But it was mentioned long before Trump.

The Problem is people throw rubbish like this out all the time about racism. Fwiw I agree with Ireland taking in immigrants. But I also know that a lot of people don't agree. Some are racist, others are not. Talking about immigration is not racism. Trump talking about immigration is not racism.

”Fear” in the sense of instability- the swing voters are known to be predominantly white and poor - their focus is the price of goods in their supermarket etc Trump is known right now as being the preferred candidate when it comes to the economy - ie people surveyed have more faith in Trump doing well with the economy than Harris - let’s see if those polls change over the coming weeks which might tell us a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A whole lot of political violence happening since Trump started spewing hate into the eco system 24/7… remember that lunatic started sending out pipe bombs after too much Trump in his brain….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Correct, the price of goods is the weak point for Harris. She needs to address this.

"Trump talking about immigration is not racism."

Trump - immigrants are poisoning the blood of our country.

How on god's green earth can you say that Trump isn't being racist by saying that?

Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

To be fair it's only one sides president that is getting shot at

• Advertisement

Schwarzenegger knew he wasn't allowed under the current laws so it's not even an issue other than should the law be changed.

With Obama it was always legally clear he was from the US and 100% able to be president, there wasn't any question about this, yet the GQP loons kept running with it because they didn't like a black man becoming president.

You would literally have to be braindead stupid to believe any of the birther stuff they were pushing, it was purely as a means to sow divide and hatred and trump, by his own volition, put himself front and centre of it.

You might as well be saying that women shouod weae shirt skirts or they get what they deserve.

That is what people in here are saying regarding Trump.

You proposing some sort of gun control? Maybe at least for the mentally unwell?

well I don’t think it’s at all a mystery: in fact it’s simple logic

1. Melanias book- we know that’s a Trump pr exercise - so why wouldn’t it at least retain Trump votes if not increase them
    2. Dog eating story- simple fear - as a voter you’re then asking what candidate do I see solving the border issue better? Again Trump has traditionally led on this issue in the polls
    3. Second shooter- this one probably less straightforward - maybe it’s something as simple as getting certain voters back up -“how dare you attempt to take away my right to choose” -

I’m not saying any one of these gives Trump a massive advantage by any means - but if it has even the smallest impact on maintaining his supports or increasing it by even a few thousand votes in certain swing states it can only help him.

Why do you think people will go the other way? I mean this is America we’re talking about here, who have already elected Trump as their president given all they knew about him and his weird ways of working - people are still supporting him regardless- and polls aren’t yet indicating that Harris is a shoe in-so why would any of these events drive people away from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's racist to questions someone's eligibility to run for presidient if those questions are based on someone's race.

The birther stuff was based solely on Obama's race and his father being from Kenya. There was nothing else behind it. It was racist.

Likewise, claiming that foreigners are eating pets, is racist.

Claiming foreigners are eating pets is not "talking about immigration." It's not a legitimate point to make even if it wasn't based entirely on lies.

It's funny how Trump supporters are trying to spin this as either not racist or part of a clever strategy.

It's not really tricking anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just find it funny that the american media and democrats have hypnotized themselves with all this malarkey , not very democratic eh? lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

No, you shouldn't be saying that no one deserves to have something happen to them for wearing a skirt or to be shot at by a gun (notice you trying to sh*tty the waters here).

If only some legal means could be put in place to reduce the chances of it happening. Do you want that legal means to be put in place?

Yea i saw the headlines also. Only difference is I watch the full clips as well.

Trump was pointing out the issue with illegal immigration.

Do you think there is an issue with illegal immigration?

The dangerous disgusting rethoric from your side is that everything he says is viewed as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Steviemak7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

The issue being…?

Immigrants poluting peoples blood?

Immigrants eating people's pets?

Immigrants being part of a plot to taking over the country?

Advertisement