Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It's both. He aced the debated but it was also rigged.

But also he was lying when he claimed to have won it. And he isn't going to do another debate cause of the cheating, even though he easily won despite it.

Basically whichever version of reality is the most convenient at the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As ever , it is Schrodingers Excuse.

It is whatever suits in the moment to ensure that the "Dear Leader" is not blamed or held accountable for anything he has ever said and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

what’s the story with the documentary about January 6th that’s airing in a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

OK- so ignore the fact it’s the Daily Mail and the headline itself - the crux are the two points put forward

“John Paulson explained to Fox Business host Liz Claman that Trump's and Harris' economic plans are very different, noting that the former president wants to extend his 2017 tax cuts while Harris wants to let them expire.

'The Trump policies came out better for the average American,' argued the investor - a major Trump donor who is being floated as a potential Treasury secretary.”

OK- here’s the other side: which unfortunately is not great news either

“A global stock market crash in August after fears the US ecomomy was slowing wiped bilions of dollars off the value of companies - and hammered Americans' 401(K)s. 

But it has more than recovered since then over hopes the US will avoid a recession.

Not everyone agrees. Paulson's remarks come just days after JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said he would not rule out an outcome for the US economy which is widely considered to be worse than a recession. 

The chief executive of the country's biggest bank said this week 'the worst income is stagflation,' which he would not 'take off the table.' “

When the memories of dog eating and snipers on the golf course fade, “it’s the economy stupid” will still be there.

I hope Harris doesn’t get side tracked with Trumps antics because it’s clear they’re simply a distraction from getting clear messages out there - poor people certainly want reassurance but I’d argue if middle class voters feel they’re going to be taxed unfairly they may well bail on Harris too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thinking back to the debate again, it's remarkable how quick Harris managed to get Trump to freak out.

Like 1 single comment about his campaign sizes and he spent the rest of the debate thinking about it.

Is he the most emotionally fragile leader of a major country most of us have seen in our lifetimes? Maybe Liz Truss was worse but she was only there for a number of weeks.

And its remarkable for someone as fragile as he is, that any of the others who debated him failed to find his trigger.

'They're eating the cats, they're eating the dogs'. Reads like something straight out of Southpark. Christ I can't wait till he's completely irrelevant. Lets hope it starts in 7 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone who has a passing interest in American politics could say in advance what questions would be asked.

Anyone.

And yet he appeared as it he had no clue what would be asked.

Now, MAGA assume it was because

A) it was rigged - she knew in advance

B) she had an ear piece

Or... Stay with me

C) he knew what the questions were, but didn't have the mental ability to either remember the answer or discipline to stay on topic.

Given there are serious mental issues with him in line with C), and the multiple public examples, it sounds to me that this option is the most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Honestly if the southpark writers used the fishsticks joke on trump rather than Kanye, he still wouldn't get it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

“John Paulson explained to Fox Business host Liz Claman that Trump's and Harris' economic plans are very different, noting that the former president wants to extend his 2017 tax cuts while Harris wants to let them expire.

'The Trump policies came out better for the average American,' argued the investor - a major Trump donor who is being floated as a potential Treasury secretary.”

The trouble is though is that absolutely NONE of that is true.

The Trump policies absolutely categorically did not "come out better for the middle classes" - Not even close.

The middle class got ridden out the gate by Trumps tax cuts and HE was the one that set them to expire for the middle class but kept the cuts in place for the 1%.

Naturally though , Fox wouldn't call him out on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

because at best Trump doesn’t see himself as anything but an entertainer - which this comedian/daily show contributor Josh Johnson nails rather spectacularly I thought:

(Actually I didn’t remember this being this long the other night at 40 mins but I credit him with making a fine point of why it got up his ass so effectively)

Post edited by Overheal at

• Advertisement

fair enough - but the economy is still being argued as on the rise and on the slump - we’ve been talking about a debate that happened weeks ago since last night and are losing track on the key issues of this election - the “noise” is very loud - imagine what it’s actually like in America if this is the impact on an Irish discussion forum 1000s of miles away - all caused by just one poster I might add (not at all “blaming” that poster- in fact I say hats off to them for keeping a month old topic going for so long 😀-people are simply responding to them and they on return- not breaking any rules) - but just shows how distraction works - I made my mind up on the debate on the night- I’ve no interest in visiting it again now-

This article is far more interesting and a little scary

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/sep/18/trump-election-georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Hoop66

In 2023, he contributed $1 million to a fund supporting victims of Hurricane Idalia in Florida. The donation was used to help rebuild homes and support families affected by the disaster. This act of philanthropy was widely covered in the media as a gesture of support for those in need during a time of crisis.

I can't see any source for this online, and I looked pretty hard as it is a difficult thing to believe, other than it being debunked. Do you have a source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Well, it looks the new rules for posting in CA are working out just fine.

Good Lord, some amount of nonsense and Republican talking points being spread in here.

In other news, Harris is beginning to regain ground in the battleground states.

I can see a gear change for them next week. Have any non-Trump Republicans said they're gonna be at rallies/canvassing for her yet?

Channel 4-.part 1 last night part 2 this evening - it’s a HBO produced documentry being show. On CH 4- last night was fascinating - the Arizona election officials deserve a medal for how they behaved throughout - their lives were threatened by MAGA thugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Redliketoast

Lets take it form the top and work slowly because I fear that some are suffering from the bidenism

Here is the full video where he talks about "Very fine people"

He mentions very fine people. Then he CLEARLY says at 1min at 58 seconds that he is not talking about Neo nazis etc.

Now people can claim that there was no non-neo nazis there. But that doesnt change what he said. He condemn the neo nazis. He is not talking about the neo nazis………..

I mean its very simple language.

To say otherwise and MANY of you have, is a lie. That is you lying and spouting BS. You are on here saying something that is a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Who in Gods name are the very fine people that turned up for that hatefest?

As with all things in their gish gallop, it's false.

instead it has been widely covered on for many years that Trump is notorious for pledging charitable donations and never delivering:

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-business-campaign-2016-events-united-states-presidential-election-436328daf9ef488fb334159df5e3192b

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promised-millions-to-charity-we-found-less-than-10000-over-7-years/2016/06/28/cbab5d1a-37dd-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-charitable-donations-varied-widely-by-year-11672430692

Not to mention, Trump Foundation was forced to dissolve when it was revealed to be a massive fraud of unprecedented scale, often raising money for alleged charitable acts that are never followed through on, in this manner Trump stole millions of dollars from people who wanted money to be raised for causes like 9/11 victims relief and veterans causes. Instead Trump used the money to pay off his lawyers for petty legal disputes and as a slush fund for campaigning. It was also used as a vehicle for Trump to receive illicit donations from foreigners - including Ukrainian oligarchs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_J._Trump_Foundation

Post edited by Overheal at

You're claiming non neo-nazi, non-white supremacist, non-alt right people were there. Where? Show me:

Fact check: Trump said, of a Unite the Right Rally solely attended by neo nazis, white supremacists and the fledgling alt right, there were some very fine people on that side. That's a fact, Kamala Harris said no word of a lie.

Also if Trumpers want to complain the Moderators didn't follow her up on that: read the transcript, they were never given the opportunity because Trump decided to interrupt them:

VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS: I was at the Capitol on January 6th. I was the Vice President-Elect. I was also an acting senator. I was there. And on that day, the president of the United States incited a violent mob to attack our nation's Capitol, to desecrate our nation's Capitol. On that day, 140 law enforcement officers were injured. And some died. And understand, the former president has been indicted and impeached for exactly that reason. But this is not an isolated situation. Let's remember Charlottesville, where there was a mob of people carrying tiki torches, spewing antisemitic hate, and what did the president then at the time say? There were fine people on each side. Let's remember that when it came to the Proud Boys, a militia, the president said, the former president said, "Stand back and stand by." So for everyone watching who remembers what January 6th was, I say we don't have to go back. Let's not go back. We're not going back. It's time to turn the page. And if that was a bridge too far for you, well, there is a place in our campaign for you. To stand for country. To stand for our democracy. To stand for rule of law. And to end the chaos. And to end the approach that is about attacking the foundations of our democracy 'cause you don't like the outcome. And be clear on that point. Donald Trump the candidate has said in this election there will be a bloodbath, if this -- and the outcome of this election is not to his liking. Let's turn the page on this. Let's not go back. Let's chart a course for the future and not go backwards to the past.

DAVID MUIR: Let me just follow up here--

FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I have said blood bash, bath. It was a different term, and it was a term that related to energy, because they have destroyed our energy business. That was where bloodbath was. Also, on Charlottesville, that story has been as you would say, debunked. Laura Ingraham, Sean Hannity, Jesse -- all of these people, they covered it. If they go an extra sentence, they will see it was perfect. It was debunked in almost every newspaper. But they still bring it up just like they bring 2025 up. They bring all of this stuff up. I ask you this. You talk about the Capitol. Why are we allowing these millions of people to come through on the southern border? How come she's not doing -- and I'll tell you what I would do. And I would be very proud to do it. I would say we would both leave this debate right now, I'd like to see her go down to Washington, D.C. during this debate 'cause we're wasting a lot of time. Go down to -- because she's been so bad, it's so ridiculous. Go down to Washington, D.C. And let her sign a bill to close up the border. Because they have the right to do it. They don't need bills. They have the right to do it. The President of the United States, you'll get him out of bed. You'll wake him up at 4:00 in the afternoon, you'll say come on. Come on down to the office, let's sign a bill. If he ... if he signs a bill that the border is closed, all he has to do is say it to the border patrol, who are phenomenal. If they do that, the border is closed.

DAVID MUIR: Mr. President --

FORMER PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Those people are killing many people, unlike J-6.

✅ a mob was carrying tiki torches

✅ they were spewing antisemitic hate

✅ as President, Trump said there were "very fine people, on both sides"

Every word of what she said a fact.

Here is the Bloodbath video again debunked. The first video is the full video. He mentions bloodbath at around the 1min mark. But the whole first minute is the lead up to that.

Here is an example of an edit by ABC

In this you will notice that they end the clip right after "its gonna be a bloodbath, thats gonna be the least of it". Even the way they frame the intro from teh news anchor and talk about how Biden is calling it political violence.

Again another debunk. With video. Arent facts fun

• Advertisement

99.99% certain that he didn't.

At best it'll be like the money he claimed to have given to the wife of Corey Comperatore , the guy shot and killed at his rally.

HE didn't , one of his supporters gave her the money (which is a great thing to do , of course) but Trump had to LIE to make him the hero of the piece.

He talked for a while about Corey and what a big fan of his he was. And he talked about how a friend of his had given a million dollars to Corey’s wife, and how they had set up a fundraiser for the families, and how they had raised $5 million or $6 million. He kept talking and talking about the money. “I already gave the wife a million dollars, and she was great. I mean, look, she couldn’t believe it, but she would rather have her husband.” The check, he said for the second time now, was for a million dollars. “I don’t care how successful, it’s a check for a million dollars,” he said. “And I gave it to her. She was — she couldn’t believe it.”

I tried again. Had he wondered why he was spared and Corey Comperatore was not?

“No, I haven’t wondered why. I should wonder why,” he said. He looked off and he seemed to really be thinking. “I’ve been so — I’ve been working very hard on the campaign, and I also run a business during the time that I’m here, you know, with my family. It’s a great business. It’s an incredible business. But I am involved in running that, but mostly it’s the campaign because, you know, you have to do that. That’s got to be the focus. And my children run the business now and do a good job. Eric runs it, and Don helps him and runs it, also different aspects of it.” He was still looking off. “But no, I’ve never asked myself that. I’ve never thought of it. I don’t like thinking about it too much, because it’s almost like you have to get on with your life. So I don’t really like thinking about that too much.”

Reading the above just shows you his utter lack of empathy. Completely incapable of grasping why getting money wasn't all that important to someone who lost their partner. All he could think about was the money.

As the old saying goes , knows the cost of everything , but the value of nothing.

Also clearly utterly incapable of anything approaching introspection and self-evaluation.

Firstly I dont know and I dont care if non neo nazis turned up. It doesnt matter.

You know why it doesnt matter?

He said (since you clearly refuse to watch evidence that you cry about not getting)

"you had people and I'm not talking about the neo-nazis and the white nationalist because they should be condemned totally but you had many people in that group other than neo-nazis and white nationalists"

You think you have seen pictures of everyone who attended or was there just images of people causing harm? Can you be sure you have seen everyone that was there?

I have provided proof that this is a lie and that what you and others are saying is nonsense and A LIE. He called out the racists. Never said they were fine people. Never.

Facts are fun. Fact check:

"Donald Trump the candidate has said in this election there will be a bloodbath, if this -- and the outcome of this election is not to his liking." - Vice President Kamala Harris.

✅ Fact. Trump did say that:

"Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath, for the whole — that’s going to be the least of it. It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country. That’ll be the least of it." - Convicted Felon Former President Donald Trump.

So what's the difference between this comment and ones you listed eariler that were unacceptable from democrats?

Did they not have context that excused them also? Did you look into the context of any of them?

Also, you don't have a leg to stand on since your boy told racist lies that resulted in bomb threats. Making up a conspiracy about those threats doesn't make them go away.

I provided a video to show you are wrong………………. I mean you seem incapable of even watching videos that are provided for you now. Maybe you should ask someone to show you how to click the video to make it play.

You are lying

So it doesn't matter if there weren't actually people there who weren't neo-nazis and racists.

So when Trump was refering to "good people" he was refering to imaginary people who weren't there…?

So..

AGAIN - Who exactly were these "Fine People on both sides" of whom he spoke?

Who were the "fine people" there to cheer on the Neo-Nazis as they marched through the town???

Technically, yes he said he didn't mean the Nazis , but who DID he mean when he said "fine people on both sides"??

Because if you were there and were in any way shape or form remotely sympathetic to the marchers that puts you on their "side", and that means YOU ARE NOT "FINE PEOPLE".

So , no there were not fine people on both sides

There were Nazis and Nazi adjacent sympathisers on one side - None of them fall into the Category of "Fine People"

On the other side you had Ordinary locals protesting the arrival of the Nazis (and maybe a few bad actors as well) - Most but probably not all of them would be "Fine people".

So.

It really really shouldn't be this hard for you to understand this.

Firstly I dont know and I dont care if non neo nazis turned up. It doesnt matter.

Just giving up there now. So it's settled, Trump said there were fine people on both sides. Kamala Harris remarks are absolutely true and correct. ✅

Without any evidence of any fine people on that side we are left to conclude there weren't any - what is alleged without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Least of all where there "many" such very fine people on that side, the documented evidence of the rally shows a dearth of anyone (aside from the counter-protestors) not carrying or walking happily alongside those with a swastika, traitor rag, or carrying and emblazoning other recognized hate group symbolism, including the KKK, who under Trump, were comfortable enough for perhaps the first time in their history to run around without covering their faces, by the thousands, all the while chanting bile like "Jews will not replace us, Jews will not replace us, Jews will not replace us."

Nothing that anyone else is saying here is a lie and YELLING it doesn't make it less true, it just makes your argument seem that much more unhinged tbh.

This is the same comment with proof on how it was debunked and how it is a lie. In fact if you look at the post just above you, you will see Overhead repeating the same lie. Some people seem to need things spoonfed to them. The bloodbath and very fine people lies are repeated over and over and used against Trump. When I have shown here in a couple of posts that both are at the very least misleading. The fact that they are repeated make them rhetoric and lies.

As for the quotes about killing Trump. No there was no extra context. They were celebs talking about Trump and saying disgusting things about wanting to kill him.

As for the bomb threats they were from oversees. So how people from oversees would be so angry at Haitian immigrants in Springfield. Unless they are fans of the Simpsons of course. Then I get it.

You are ignoring that Biden/Harris have gotten someone killed and had two assassination attempts on Trumps life. I know its boring to keep reading that sentence. But people here seem to want to pretend it didnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Advertisement