Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry but that's a very good satire account. Not a real Congressman.

Really, you'd get your war info from the Russian Times etc.?

This digging in about not doing basic common sense vetting for sourcing doesn't do you any favors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

you’ve answered my question - thanks - you’ve no interest in debating and discussing Trump vs Harris in the election in terms of the breaking war - go back to your myopia and narrow focus - if Trump wins which is an increasing possibility, I WILL remind you of this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Eh no- I made a legitimate on topic comment about war breaking out in the Middle East and how it may impact this election - if you don’t have the ability to partake then fine -

No you didn't really. Your only throwaway comment was to try and deflect in favor to Donald Trump because he was throwing chicken tenders to college students while people were drowning from torrential flooding in the wake of Hurricane Helene. Nothing you said was with a tractive interest in or discussing the war. Your indicated interest was in trying to defend Trump after he spent the weekend lying about the administration's rescue and recovery efforts while he gorged himself on fast food.

so it doesn’t suit your agenda - fine - but don’t tell me where to go or what to do - I’m completely on topic - you talking about my sources for breaking news aren’t - I’m clearly talking Harris Trump -

complete and utter nonsense - I did nothing of the sort

MyPillow guy selling pillows for $14.88

That's a weird price you say?

Just lemme do a quick Google....

Oooohhhhh....

• Advertisement

But you aren't talking Harris or Trump, rather you're deflecting away from it.

Even now you aren't bothered to actually talk about it rather you are trying to accuse others of "having an agenda" etc. in not talking about it. You still haven't actually said anything about it, I guess it doesn't suit your agenda, which appears to be trying to pull attention away from Trump's lies about the federal response to Hurricane Helene while he stuffed himself with chicken tenders.

It is completely on topic to discuss the dire quality of the sources you've chosen to bring in to the thread and quite laughable of you to claim otherwise. Especially after you just declared you give no critical thought toward what your sources of reporting are, as long as they are reporting what you want to hear ("I couldn’t care less if it’s the Beano or Dandy that reports it").

Middle East on the brink of all out war.read all about it in your favourite news source - I couldn’t care less where you read it.

But the truth of the matter is- this WILL impact the outcome of this election - Trump is definitely favoured as a leader on wartime - that’s fact.
    Will it detract from Harris voters? Well who knows - it would be good to discuss but so far, poster abuse is the order of the day - if anyone wishes to discuss go ahead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13912927/Israel-vows-retaliate-Irans-barrage-missiles-Middle-East-war.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,180 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I totally agree with you there so I'll put you on my "blocked" list. Have a good day

Trump is definitely favoured as a leader on wartime - that’s fact.

By who? Cousin Billy Bob?

Because actual National Security Experts - over 700 of them, including Generals, Cabinet officials, National Security Administrators, etc. endorsed Kamala Harris last week. Maybe you missed it?

https://www.nsl4a.org/nsl4a-announcements/nsl4a-endorsement-harris

I count 149 Ambassadors, 86 Admirals, 174 Generals, 99 Directors, 22 Sergeants, Secretaries of Defense, State, Veterans affairs, Assistant Secretaries, etc. (there may be a view overlaps where individuals held multiple titles, I used word search)

That's not including the 400+ economists and former economic officials that have also endorsed her separately.

Newsweek also collated the full list as of 2 days ago every Republican that has endorsed her:

https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-republicans-endorsing-kamala-harris-trump-1960937

And those who signed a separate letter of endorsement along the same lines as the above one:

https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-endorsement-letter-republicans-1956304

So I'm curious what you're support of that "that's fact" is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

With Trump looking more and more incoherent at his rallies, tonight’s debate is basically an audition for Vance

If he knocks it out of the park tonight, surely they wheel Trump off to the old folks home

• Advertisement

Like I said we’re done here. I gave you the chance to discuss and you simply mocked and abused and twisted - I’ve no interest in engaging with you now. Thanks

Whatever your excuses now, your claims without evidence are dismissed without evidence.

Clearly, national security experts who are in the best position to know who is best to lead the country in war or in peace are endorsing Kamala Harris by the hundreds, and across the partisan divides.

There's a thread already about 'Israel starting WW3' for those who want to dive into a larger discussion about the war in the Middle East.

re: "mocked abused and twisted,"

you’ve no interest in debating and discussing Trump vs Harris in the election in terms of the breaking war - go back to your myopia and narrow focus 

if you don’t have the ability to partake then fine

Seems like Trump is just running to be King on a golf course, immune from prosecution, while he hands the keys over to Vance to be his 'prime minister.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not sure how serious you are about this, but I could certainly see Trump being reluctant to capitalise on a star performance by Vance for this very reason…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You were lambasting me for mentioning the administrative state and said it was conspiracy theories but this garbage is perfectly fine is it.

Talk about double standards.

If he knocks it out of the park tonight, surely they wheel Trump off to the old folks home

More conspiracy theories

Trump is going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed there will be many problems left. It is a serious issue that Republicans have not put forward a serious candidate for these issues to be properly discussed instead of nonsense about eating cats and dogs to throw out sound bites.

Note I said Trump was not serious in that he is not a serious person with actual policies for governing a democracy. He may still win in spite of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Everything from Newsweek to the guardian has commented on it. So it's most likely nothing but there's still a bit more to it than the Kamala Harris photo that you were indignant over. 😀

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/sep/27/mypillow-mike-lindell-ad

Trump is apparently planning to 'live-truth' the debate, because everything has to be about him :D

You were lambasting me for mentioning the administrative state and said it was conspiracy theories but this garbage is perfectly fine is it.

Are you really suggesting some perfectly innocent, "very fine" reason for discounting the pillows to such an incredibly specific value? 29.7719087635054% discount, really?

Re: your "deep state" nonsense, surely that just proves Trump intends to carry out Project 2025, with 'one term' and all.

I hate to break this to you but Trump is going to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It will certainly impact the election and how some people vote.

There were no wars during Trumps tenure, he was largely a passive President.

The National security experts, are these the same hawks and warmongers who said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, the same people who invaded Afghanistan, who meddled in Syria and multiple other countries ?

The same people who goaded Russia by pushing for Ukraine to join Nato.

These are the people who have fuelled the machinery of war.

No wonder they are endorsing Harris, they know where their bread is buttered.

They know Harris will be easily manipulated unlike Trump.

Reportedly the studio for tonight's debate is being borrowed from John Oliver's Last Week Tonight.

He must be 'thrilled.'

There were no wars during Trumps tenure, he was largely a passive President.

Why do you keep repeating demonstrably untrue, easily disproven lies?

In addition to the Afghanistan war still going on, Trump abandoning the Kurds etc. the Ukraine Russia war also began under Trump with the Kerch Strait Incident.

They know Harris will be easily manipulated unlike Trump.

Yes Trump is so hard to manipulate that Kamala definitely didn't wind him up like a toy at the debate by poking fun of his crowd sizes. /s

So unmanipulable was he that he forgot what he was supposed to be debating about and ranted and raved about the people on TV saying his dog had been eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unfortunately, trump is as easily manipulated as that marionette they put up in Vegas.

The no wars claim is also blatantly false and shows how easily trumpers are manipulated into spouting nonsense.

Trump falsely claims ‘no terrorist attacks’ and ‘no wars’ during his presidency - The Washington Post

Feel free to respond with evidence to the contrary.

Belle of the 5th Column had a great essay about easily manipulable he was, as demonstrated by Kamala Harris, about the debate:

Her exact 3 minute argument was that it showed how easily manipulated Trump is in foreign policy situations, the last kind of 'leader' you'd ever want in a Presidency. I agree with her of course. Harris didn't just go off about his crowd sizes, but also about his 'best people' most of whom would not endorse him for President again. Trump wears all his insecurities on his sleeve, which makes him very susceptible to both criticisms and to flatteries.

But I also wanted to highlight a more important 4 minute essay of hers in relation to some bad faith claims that 'Trump had no wars etc.:' - about a month ago, Trump also claimed along this vein that he had a period of no US soldier casualties for an 18 month period…

Think about that claim for a second: he was president for 48 months, so he's definitely saying soldiers were shot at and killed during his presidency, so he for sure was involved in wars - nevermind the categorical evidence of losing marines in the Yemen raid, losing soldiers in Niger, or the family Trump personally wrote a $25,000 cheque to by way of admitting guilt at their death.

Well anyway, she looked at the numbers, and aside from some of his other lies (which she documents, such as about 'abandoned' equipment that was donated to the lawful government of Afghanistan) this claimed 18 month period never happened, which means Trump is erasing the deaths of servicemembers for his political agenda. She found there is no way to even be charitable about it: you can't even stitch together 18 completely different months of his presidency to reach the claim.

"In fact while pulling the numbers for this, we noticed something interesting: the longest period without a US death in Afghanistan wasn't under him - it was under Biden. Surprise! I didn't even know that until pulling these numbers."

The people telling you that Trump had no wars etc. aren't just lying, they are effectively pissing on peoples graves, and implying they don't even "deserve the respect of being remembered," as she put it, and I completely agree.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Advertisement

Well. Firstly thanks for your response - I appreciate it considering the sh1te thrown at me this evening.,At least you’re civil and you’re giving your opinion.

The “spooks” are certainly there to be feared regardless of the regime at the time - considering Biden is in appeasement mode with the Israelis and considering Harris needs the pro Israeli vote - I don’t see Harris doing or saying anything provocative this side of the election to disturb that equilibrium

On the other hand, there was a poll at the start of this election that put Trump well ahead as leader on the issue of security. Considering there is definitely now a fear of sorts in America I can’t help but think people are looking more to Trump than Harris - especially considering the debacle over the withdrawal from Afghanistan - that’s still in the minds of the electorate and it wasn’t “pretty” whatever way someone here dresses it up .

After that yes, Trump hasn’t been involved in a war nor does a war suit his agenda I’d say - but an interesting point - does male vs female or Republican vs Democrat then come into play on this issue? No doubt Trump will say he can sort it with his negotiation skills - let’s see

On the other hand, there was a poll at the start of this election that put Trump well ahead as leader on the issue of security.

That's rather useless now, isn't it? A poll from when then, 2022, when Trump kicked off the election race?

At the start of the campaign, Biden was still in the Primary.

I guess you have no more recent information to attempt to validate your claim?

Trump hasn’t been involved in a war

Why are you gobbling up that lie now too? Who are you saying was in charge over Yemen, Afghanistan, Niger, Syria, etc. while he was in office, not Trump?

Another endorsement by fmr. Republican Sen. Jeff Flake:

"I know Kamala Harris, I know Tim Walz. And and I, I think that they would represent, frankly, conservative values better than the former president. Certainly respect for the rule of law, free trade, and understanding who our allies are abroad. I’ve spent the past three years abroad representing the United States, and I want to support a presidential candidate who knows that we have very real enemies abroad, but that we also have indispensable allies. They need to be supported. I want to know I want to vote for a president who knows the difference and Kamala Harris knows the difference there.”

That would make her what, the most Centrist POTUS in modern history?

you don’t have to keep telling me, I’m still able to respond to your posts here, most of all when they’re engaged in the telling of lies like ‘Trump not being involved in wars’

If you don’t want to answer why you’re peddling those lies it’s fine with me I just feel it doesn’t do you any favors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why? do you think their media tells reality as it is , the obvious answer is no but its why its fun watching on, seeing how their media attempt to manipulate their public , if their media did their job there would be one basic set of facts to look at

for instance did you ever fall for the "fine people" hoax? its been well debunked by now , does it not make you question all the narratives on this basis?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

In terms of moving the needle, these endorsements mean next to nothing. I think they are rather tone deaf, really.

Maybe, like, three people will change their vote because of the endorsement of someone like Jeff Flake and they may also have the surname of Flake. If all of these old school Republicans are truly in favour of Harris, they'd do better not to announce their endorsements, since their most significant effect is perhaps to further encrust this concept of The Uniparty and that this bloc is scared.

And it would also seem to disprove the idea of millions of moderate Republicans out there who've become politically inactive. They're nowhere to be seen in requisite during the Republican primaries nor are they registering on opinion polls with all these Republican endorsements for Harris.

I mean, the Taylor Swift 3/4 endorsement didn't quite create the political tidal wave it was forecast to by any measure. The thumbs up from the likes of Dick Cheney is nothing by comparison. MAGA hates Cheney, anyway, or they hate what he represents, which is the kind of neo liberal economics that helped destroy the Rust Belt manufacturing base to begin with.

What’s the debunk? Can you tell me who the fine people were attending the rally where they all carried torches and shouted “Jews will not replace us,” etc? It’s not as though we haven’t had this conversation dozens of times already this thread and no one defending Trump has been able to identify a single one of these alleged “fine people” that weren’t neo Nazi, KKK or White supremacist or similarly adjacent to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The reality is that it's very much so accepted that one side absolutely did not have fine people present. So Trump's both sides remark at the very minimum meant he was incredibly ignorant of the fact one side was a bunch of Neo Nazis and racists. So it boils down to whether you believe Trump is incredibly dumb or was well aware of the groups responsible for Charlottesville.

Fyi, the snopes article states as much in terms of the Neo Nazi side being absent of fine people. 😃

• Advertisement

Looks like 45 is running scared.

God forbid he'd have to answer a straight question on policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Does this change the narrative for all our centrists now? Why is Trumps team hiding Trump from interviews? He really should do some interviews….. No? Oh okay then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harris getting a free 60 minutes on prime time network TV to speak her speak to the millions while Trump eats some fast food and SHOUTS on Truth during the 60 minute.

He’ll get the “fast-food” vote - white under educated Americans - seems logical to me

The simple reason why he's being hidden from interviews is that his team thinks he's a better chance of winning if he doesn't do them.

Is this wise? We'll know in a few weeks.

Maybe this CNBC video from Aug 15, 2017 of Trump being interviewed can refresh your memory. one [1] minute and ten [10] seconds in from the start when Trump tells the TV reporters there were very fine people on both sides at the Charlottesville event.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=eadc7fe2e312779eJmltdHM9MTcyNzc0MDgwMCZpZ3VpZD0wYjkyYjAwZC1mOGE4LTY4ZDktMzIxOC1hM2I3ZjllNTY5YzMmaW5zaWQ9NTUxNQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=0b92b00d-f8a8-68d9-3218-a3b7f9e569c3&u=a1L3ZpZGVvcy9yaXZlcnZpZXcvcmVsYXRlZHZpZGVvP3E9RGlkK2RvbmFsZCtUcnVtcCtwYXNzK2ErY29tbWVudCthYm91dCslMjJmaW5lK3Blb3BsZStvbitib3RoK3NpZGVzJTIyK2FmdGVyK2ErcmFsbHkmbWlkPUZBQjgyQzMxMDY4QTk2QzUyM0Y4RkFCODJDMzEwNjhBOTZDNTIzRjgmRk9STT1WSVJF&ntb=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Cause despite being a perfectly stable genius he can't help himself from going down weird rants.

And that makes it even more difficult for "centrists" to avoid acknowledging the issue.

Seriously lads, what do you think happens when you don't address any of the issues that are brought up or answer any or the questions or problems put to you? Do you believe that this convinces people? Do you think people just forget?

Or do you realise that it doesn't work and its the only option you have?

perhaps because even “friendly” interviewers are giving him a hard time now. Kellyanne Conway just interviewed him and told him to his face he lost that debate and goaded him to do another debate and he just wasn’t having it, doubling down on his ‘I’m washing my hair’ excuse (it’s “too late” in the election for another lol)

Trump obviously doesn't do well in long form critical interviews, it's true, but his refusal to take part in 'protocol' also helps maintain his exalted maverick status with the base. They like that he is a rule breaker.

It only matters if people take cognizance of the fact he's not doing interviews and answering questions in a manner that they can make sense of. At the moment, with the way he go's away from questions at a tangent with a reply that's completely so far out, I think people either zone out from embarrassment without response or they bite their tongues for the sake of the campaign and the party.

If one thought deeply enough about him being hidden from interviews by the GOP, and it is the GOP campaign, one might have to ask if that should be taken into account when thinking of giving him one's vote. One would have to be mesmerized to believe in him. Unfortunately GOP party politics being as they are, people do seem to have tunnel-vision which is fixated on him.

he already has his “base” though, he needs independents and swing voters to actually stand a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement