Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vapour control for garden room

• 11-09-2024 7:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4

I have built a garden room with treated timber stud walls. I am using PIR insulation between the studs. I have read that I need an internal vapour control layer. Specifically, 500 Gauge – 125MU Green Tint Roll but I can't find anyone selling this in Ireland. I want to ask what else I can use and whether I definitely need to put in this layer

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what stage is the build at and what is the exact buildup, including thicknesses

is the PIR faced with Alu foil on both sides?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

500 gauge poly:

https://www.goodwins.ie/polythene/c-1825.html

Available in every builder's providers.

Not quite it seems!

https://www.greengates.co.uk/vapour-barrier-125mu-500g-245m-x-50m-roll-green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Christ on a bike - it must have Nasa engineering in every roll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 andyjbb

From outside in, the wall is made up of cedar cladding, counter battens, breathable membrane, treated timber stud wall with 75mm PIR (alu foil on both sides).

what is exact spec on breathable membrane,

IMO, you have 10% thermal bridging with the studs, the other 90% is 100% airtight/vapour tight and a VCL would be a waste of time and money.

So my view would be get alu tape and tape over the timber studs, sole plate, wall plate, and have no perforations in it at all.

I mean none.

The other alternative is to sheet the inside with vapour tight OSB, not cheap but will allow u fix to the studs

Fit a RH sensitive extract fan

Is the cavity behind the cedar ventilated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What depth are the studs?

4 inches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is the PIR bought and fitted yet? Have you figured out electrics yet?

You might want to consider reducing PIR in the wall to 50mm, set back 50mm, then using the other 50mm as a service cavity, then use 25mm or 50mm PIR-backed plasterboard over the studs (assuming this room will be plasterboarded). Solves the cold bridging and saves having to chase into the outer PIR (just through the inner one).

I think (not an electrician) that wiring should be set back at least 50mm behind the finished wall surface unless protected e.g. by metal conduit, which you can achieve if the wiring is clipped/taped to the outer layer of PIR (you'll still have pristine outer foil backing).

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments. I have decided to go with a reflective vapour barrier that I found available in Ireland

pls share

Advertisement