Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moka or Aeropress

• 11-09-2024 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

I've just broken my French Press so I'm now in the market for a new coffee maker.

I'd really only drink an Americano style coffee. Maybe an espresso once in a blue moon. Is the Aeropress the best option for me?

TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find the aeropress less fiddly and easier to clean than a moka pot. i think i prefer the coffee from it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Love the aeropress. Produces great quality coffee, easy to clean and portable so I bring it on holiday with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

moka pot for me all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Aeropress all the way, also bring mine with me on holidays!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I like the Aeropress, but my daily driver is a Clever Dripper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Has anyone else's aeropress started passing via the rubber? Both of mine appear to have given up the ghost… I use a steel filter by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i replaced my aeropress only two weeks ago because the rubber had worn away enough so as not to form a full seal. i think it was about six years old? steel filter too, but i don't think that's anything to do with the rubber wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Replacement seals aren't too expensive but shipping costs are, unless you order with coffee. Why cant the just stick it in the regular post.

https://artessa.ie/product/aeropress-rubber-seal/

https://www.aeropress.co.uk/products/aeropress-plunger-silicone-seal

I think you can pick up replacement aeropress seals on Aliexpress, shipping will be longer but is €2.

the gaskets are replaceable, mine has been replaced twice at this stage I think, I don't mind paying a few quid for shipping over buying a brand new device I don't really need.

I'm fairly sure on both occasions I got them from an Irish roaster when I was buying coffee from them

Cloudpicker have them

https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/products/aeropress-rubber-seal-replacement?srsltid=AfmBOoosXj3RoxNwJ2wO-RMvCAyOqRYssZ6XoUZfIIeob-ZxZg9eXXO-

• Advertisement

i was mulling buying just a seal, but the inside of the bottom of mine had gone rough to the touch, so i ended up just replacing the whole thing.

Do the steel filters work okay? I've never tried them but think I might give one a go.

I have one, but I need to use the inverted method with it, it's too porous to use in the standard manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I use the inverted method so the rubber piston always comes in contact with the hot water. Yet, after more than 10 years of daily use, the piston is in perfect order. I give it a gentle scrub when I'm washing the other components, about once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Pourover !

Oh, also. I use a metal filter and a Prismo attachment. It negates the need for inversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭DaSchmo

Was a French Press user for a long time, also had a Moka pot years ago but I always felt the coffee was a little closer to espresso than I was looking for. Drink it black.

Currently using and Aeropress which I'm very happy with - it's like the best of both worlds of french press and pour over. You get a cleaner cup (no sediment) than a french press because it is using a paper filter but you also get longer time to brew (I also always invert) so the cup has more body than a pour over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I tend to use both. Considering they're relatively inexpensive maybe get both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've just bought an Aeropress. Will let you know for I get on with it.

look up the James Hoffmann series of videos on the Aeropress, he's a decent coffee content creator.

I dislike the recipe instructions that come with the aeropress , because they use "scoops" afaik - I prefer to use a Grams of Coffee per Grams of Water ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I have a Moka, an Aeropress and a N'espresso machine and a large aluminium French press.

By far my favourite coffee is the Moka, I love its intensity and slightly burnt taste, its very Italian. 2nd is the Aeropress, very smooth, 3rd the French press as it makes lots of coffee, and lastly is the N'Espresso machine which costs more than all the others put together (but it was a present)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

So just started with the Aeropress.

It is very difficult to get the plunger going until some air starts escaping at the bottom and then it takes less pressure to put dorm the plunger. Is this common?

Not sure just how robust the rubber on the plumber will be.

I just take Americano style so suits me. A lot cleaner that my old French press and no silly in the coffee mug.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It requires a bit of pressure alright. How much coffee are you dosing? Your grind may be a little too fine…

Advertisement