Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a 7 seater

• 11-09-2024 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

We've settled on the new sorento as need a 7 seater with 4 kids. Would like to go PHEV but unsure if its best option. Have a daily 80km roundtrip and travel from Killaloe to Dublin twice a month…….would be grateful for any advice.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Have been considering the Sorento for a while also, unsure about new or used, also like the new Santa Fe.

Can you charge at your destination? Electric range is rated at up to 57km but have seen some tests show over 60km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OP You would get a new EV9 cheaper per month than you would a new Sorento. The EV9 will also be cheaper to run long term.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Not a perfect comparison, the sorento shown is AWD while it's the basic 2 wheel drive EV9 that's shown. The AWD EV9 costs a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭caddy16

No charge station at work but if I would be getting 3/4 of the journey on electric. Guess I need to work out the details and do a cost comparison.

• Advertisement

The plan was to change the 2nd smaller car to full ev year after next. Not quite ready for 2 evs yet.

Previous post by AKMC had suggested an EV9 is cheaper than a Sorrento in terms of monthly payments….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You would need €5k more for the EV9 deposit of 27k on PCP but it is at zero percent

Agreed. However, my point is that if the OP buys that Sorento in the image then they will get a full time AWD vehicle. An AWD EV9 costs around €90,000 so any monthly deal payments on that version would be much higher. AWD may or may not be important to the OP. If it is then the Sorento is IMO definitely the best value. I actually have a 2022 one myself and would strongly recommend them and the refreshed latest model.

However, If they just want a big electric SUV then the EV9 (without AWD) may not be for them as there are a few others that are fairly large, 2WD, and a lot cheaper than the EV9 (e.g. new kodiaq and very soon new e5008). I'd love an EV9 myself but only in AWD and at c.90k+ that's too much for me to justify spending.

• Advertisement

New Kodiaq is only a 5 seater unless you choose an ICE version. AWD is unlikely to be an essential requirement for a 7 seat vehicle but obviously every use case is different. AWD would be a big advantage for towing capability.

How do you find the drive when on the 1.6 petrol only for the size of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭staples7

Why in the name of god do you need AWD drive for lugging kids back and fourth to school/sports etc. And before you say icey mornings. I would bet anyone that can lose control in 2WD would likely do the same in 4WD .

I don't mind the look of the EV9 but it's ridiculously big, see a lady every morning at school struggling with it. Thats before you get into its depreciation which would be bad enough as an ICE but as an Electric. you could lose 50k plus in 3 years.

We could be in your position next year needing a 7 seater, in the EV world I don't think theres any solutions yet with value for money in mind.

No issues. It will do 50 to 56km on electric before it needs to stick with the petrol motor. However, when the 56k runs out it still has lots of battery in reserve.

Basically you cruise along with petrol engine but if you need extra power to overtake or something then the electric comes in as well.

Between the 2 power systems you have 265 bhp so it is a powerful enough vehicle and never feels bulky or struggles.

My longest journey is a round trip of about 200k. Overall I get about 6.0 in summer and 6.2 in winter. Shorter runs are where you really save of course..it's showing 6.0 now with just over 17,000k from new.

I don't need an AWD for lugging kids anywhere. I don't have kids.

I have my own reasons for getting one. If you prefer 2WD, that's fine. I

I don't need an AWD for lugging kids anywhere. I don't have kids.

I have my own reasons for getting one. If you prefer 2WD, that's fine.

Interesting take on a 50k depreciation drop. So you have the lottery numbers too?

Thanks for that, great to get real world feedback. I was hoping the battery range would increase with the updated model to something similar to the new kodiaq but not to be. Anyway think I'll go with hybrid option.

It's a good choice. I've had a Santa fe, 3 sorentos, a BMW X5, a Kodiaq, all from new and this sorento has a good edge on all of them. Good spec no matter which version you choose.

Standard depreciation calculation is roughly 50% after 3 years, add in an extra element for EV which is the case currently and yes 50k on a 80/90k car is what I would expect.

If you still think thats airy fairy have a look at a similarly as expensive EV's in the Audi Etron's 50/55, would be going for 80k+ back in 2020/2021, these are now 30-40k cars. Just 1 example but you can rely apply to all.

You mentioned test driving an EV9 in cork yourself thats a few months old @ 69k, that same car earlier this year was 80k im guessing. Its not exactly fortune telling 🤣

• Advertisement

That's 10k under a new one cos it has 20k KMS on it.

I would love 50% off after 3 years on something like a Sorento but have a look, they are all going for 45k+ on a 55k sale price in 2021.

There will be a big chunk of depreciation for sure but those Audis should never have been going for 80k in the first place whereas the EV9 is in the same playground as the EX90 and others at the 120k mark. I don't personally think it will be as drastic as a 50k drop ( which on an 85k car is a 60% drop)

I'm also happy to return in 3.years and eat my words 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I am no PCP expert but I think above says the EV9 under PCP is valued at 31k at 3 years old. If you pay 31k for your 3 year old EV you get to keep it. That's based on a 78,250 new price. So kia themselves say depreciation is 47k over 3 years with lowish mileage.

https://www.kiacredit.ie/#step1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Most brands price in leaving a person with some equity to use as another deposit at the end of the PCP, it's not quite as simple as taking the PCP GMFV as the brands expected depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

ItIt will be at least 50% off in 3 years. Higher prices fall harder in most cases. Kia won't escape that. At circa 40k, I might even consider one in 2 or 3 years.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

That certainly used to be the case, but as an example, Skoda's website now says "Final Payment" rather than GMFV.

My brother recently traded in a Leaf, just over 2 years into a 0% PCP deal, as the car was already worth less than what the final payment would have been. It no longer suited what he needed, and while he could have kept paying the PCP for the next year, he still would have had zero equity at the end, so there was no point riding it out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

GMFV and Final Payment are exactly the same, the GMFV term is pretty confusing for most people as they don't connect the dots that future value means the amount you have to pay, not how much it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I know they're the same, but as you say, it's now described as something you have to pay (ie: the dealer thinks the car may be worth less than this), versus it's future value (ie: you should have some equity).

Subtle, but IMO a small reflection of a more volatile market.

Hyundai are still advertising it as GFMV, I think it's more a reflection on confused customers than any concerted effort to address a volatile marker.

2021 was a strange time in that new car price’s had not serged. Friend of mine bought an r-line Tiguan new in 2021 for 43k. He traded in 3 months ago and was given 41k for the car from same Vw dealer. Same car is up in their website currently with 60k kms for 43k. However the new tiguain he bought was €64k.

They might hold value a little better given there’s very little competition in the 7 seater ev market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Mother of God…he coughed up €23k when he could have bought a ID4 PRO PLUS for sub 50k. Even a GTX would have saved him a few thousand and arguably a far superior car.

Yes, seems like madness not have bought an ID.4 instead. That said the way the trade is currently dishing used EV’s that new Tiguan will probably depreciate less per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

I can't see VW reducing the price of new cars by much more if at all ergo the situation with second hand VW's is likely to have stabilised.

Advertisement