Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPHE / My Wellbeing Journey 2 / Latest Edition 2024

• 11-09-2024 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what parents and teachers make of the New Junior Cycle "Wellbeing" My Journey 2 book currently in their kids school lockers!

The book is certainly getting lots of media attention (but for all the wrong reasons), just wondering what others think on how to tackle the situation, specially as the book doesn't come home, and the kids were asked to sign a confidentially page suggesting they don't discuss or talk about the content outide the classroom.

Sounds well dodgy to me, and I don't like what I've read & heard about the controversial contents.

Anyone got an opinion or experience of this book?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Absolutely no knowledge of the programme but I would imagine the "confidentiality" page is to do with not talking to younger students about the course material and not at all a carte blanche don't discuss this anywhere thing.

If I'm correct in my assumption it points to a slight twisting of facts straight off the bat by some of the concerned, which is a shame as maybe there are genuine concerns too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Different versions for Gael Scoil pupils also, with the portrayal of a typical Irish family omitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

apparently the controversial pages include teaching children that they may be born in the wrong body 🤔

It also introduces the concepts of non-binary, sis gender, a-gender, gender queer, transgende, sex "assigned" at birth? and new pronouns for those who have "transitioned" from boy to girl or whatever.

certainly a departure from what went before in the form of human biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

the kids were asked to sign a confidentially page suggesting they don't discuss or talk about the content outside the classroom

Do you know if this is in a particular school, or across the board? Either way, I'd love to see a copy of what they have been asked to sign. Even if it is all above board, I wonder if there could be legal issues about a child signing something of this nature?

If the book is kept in school and parents don't get to see it, I can see issues arising in years to come, clearly not as serious as the abuse issues currently being discussed, but AFAIR the constitution states that the family is the primary educator, so hiding stuff from parents could be fairly serious in a legal sense. It also reminds me that my brother's school impressed on their pupils that "what goes in school stays in school" which clearly helped create an atmosphere where all sorts of inappropriate things could - and did - happen.

Advertisement