Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing my redundancy

• 12-09-2024 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

just a quick one company told me they are putting my redundancy through payroll and it will be taxed, iv tried to tell them it’s exempt and they won’t listen what shud i do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Redundancy pay is not tax exempt, that's a common misconception.
    I'm not an accountant so I'd recommend contacting your own accountant.

This is how redundancy is taxed:

Statutory redundancy:
    (2 weeks pay per year of service, plus one week, capped at 600e per week) - Tax Free
    Ex Gratia payment:
    Basic Exemption is €10,160, plus €765 for each complete year of service - tax free
    Increased Exemption of an additional €10,000 on top of the Basic Exemption  - tax free (can only be used once per 10 years)

Therefore everything above ((2weeks per year)*600)+600)+(10160)+(765 per year)) is taxable as if it were income.

Standard Capital Superannuation Benefit (SCSB): This is a different way of calculating tax for the Ex Gratia, usually for long services.

More info here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/retirement/income-tax-in-retirement/retirement-lump-sum-taxation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Is it only statutory redundancy, or are you getting extra?

Far as im aware there is only an exemption on statutory redundancy, if they are giving you more than that then the extra is taxable.

Edit: better information above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You should speak to a Qualified Financial Advisor, your company many offer some money to pay for this or they may arrange something with their accountants

Getting your redundancy through payroll doesn't mean it will be taxed the same as your salary, it'll likely be a separate line item

As ELM said you may be liable for tax depending on what the payment is an how you choose to tax it, a financial advisor will lay out the options

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement