Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the story with people being unable to use basic words

• 13-09-2024 5:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

I see it on multiple forums/posts.

Is it an education thing or a cultural thing?

Examples would be :

• Been/being
    • Their/they're

And more.

Drives my head in. What's happening with the state of education in the country that English speaking people cannot write proppa English?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Bricriu

Correction to part of above post:

'Drives my head in.' recte 'Does my head in.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Not a great start OP, corrected on the first reply 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

You couldn't of had a worst start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

You should read the local Facebook groups. My head hurts reading some of the posting there....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I think your bean factitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

On a seperate note. OP should have went to grammer school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

On a seperate note. OP should of went to grammer school.

...corrected that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wreckless instead of reckless always annoys me. See it a bit on this site.

Also "could care less" to desribe the opposite - "couldn't care less" is what you mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

This is the one that annoys me the most, it's so ubiquitous.

I think it's from people confusing should've, could've etc and thinking that it's "of" instead of "'ve". Drives me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Verbally - specific instead of pacific. anartica instead of antarctica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

In England people always say "I was sat there" instead of "I was sitting there", I always found that mildly irritating but I can pass it off as an English colloquial quirk. But recently I have heard Irish people saying it like that and that just shouldn't be allowed, not acceptable at all because it's not common here and it should be kept that way IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

There are a hell of a lot of dyslexia suffers out in the world and it's not the impediment to getting on that it used to be. I managed to bypass all grammar lessons for that reason but now have a degree so it really indicates very little if you get some grammar wrong.

I find grammar Nazi's far more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

”COULD OF” - Drives me bananas!”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

Your so bias!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"irregardless"

Enough said about that one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once used the word 'artic' - referring to a lorry - online, and was archly corrected with 'i think you'll find it's arctic'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I STILL hate that stupid "Happy out" phrase… Makes no sense!

"Happy Out"… where? Outside?

Think it started in Wexford about 20 years ago - at least that was the first time I heard it used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know words. I have the best words. But there's no better word than stupid

"could care less" is disturbingly common in the US.

Here's a rather defensive defence of it (or should that be defense?)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/could-couldnt-care-less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I am not sure if I mix up Been/Being but often Their and There (rarely they're), also I am not too worried on boards.ie, so I will be very lazy on them.

Dubliner's will largely mix up Our/Are/Or, you'll find we pronounce them all as ARE, so we are not hearing the difference. It is something that parents really should correct.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Subject line should have ended with a question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I have a friend who says supposebly and chimbley as well as I done, I seen, I should of went, etc etc. I should tell her that as well is two words, not one, as is a lot. I can think of plenty more examples.

It's not dyslexia, it's laziness, people who don't read or possess books, and teachers who are probably guilty of the same mistakes.

I'd agree but as a dyslexic but I find much of that to be an excuse not to try.

I can one up you by saying I have a Master Degree. (How they read my thesis I don't know).

Why did you ditch grammar lessons? I'd argue most English speaking countries avoid teaching grammar.

If you can gain an Education, you can work hard to overcome dyslexia.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The English seem to have a habit of talking about the floor rather than the ground when talking about outside. They talk about dropping something on the floor even if it's the middle of a street or up a mountain. You hear it a lot in football "he's thrown himself on the floor there" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Roald Dahl

it's instead of its for the possessive form of it is another one you see all the time. I guess it's because nouns take an apostrophe in the possessive and this leads to confusion.

Now, I am well aware of the difference between their and there, but have occasionally read back over stuff that I typed and realised that I had - to my horror - used the wrong one! 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I've just after been to the shops

Imagine trying to decipher that sentence as a learner of the english language!

Again something your parents should teach you.

There was a thing about 5 years back of Dubliner's saying "it was Trune, he trune it" seems not to be around as much now.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Best one I saw on Facebook was 'lack toast and tolerant'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

You better not watch any of those traveller call out videos OP,for fear you wood be bangin yer head again a wall after .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

crips instead of crisps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭LastApacheInjun

Honestly, I don't find it annoying at all. Obviously, if you are misusing commas (the old "Eat shoots and leaves" concept) that can actually change the meaning of your message. But their/there and other common mistakes don't bother me. Lots of people have trouble with spelling, lots of people probably did not get the education they deserved for a wide variety of reasons. As long as I understand what the message is, I'm cool with it.

I'm a solicitor, and I worked with so many people over the years who are so focused on drafting the perfect letter, or perfect memo. These people usually can't see the big picture on the message they are trying to communicate, or indeed the waste of time and money spent on endless drafts. Over the years I find myself judging them way more harshly than I do the person who gets the message across and is efficient in running a case to a timely and cost effective conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anybody complaining about things like their/they're or a minor misspelling are just been a grammar nazi who need to get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

There's a difference between bad grammar and people trying to spell words that they have never seen written down. Done deal is full of them and some are hilarious.

Also, you can really tell a lot about a person by their writing. We used to run an Airbnb and would get booking requests like:

'lookin 4 de place 4 a few nites'

vs

'We are a family travelling in Ireland for a few weeks and we saw your listing and would love to stay for a few days.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Not at all. It's important to get those easy things correct.

Anyway, one that annoys me lately is someone looking for 'advise' instead of advice. One is a verb, the other isn't.

is that real or has someone messed around with the audio? Please tell me it’s not real😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Man 👨 . Woman 👩 . Camera 🎥 . TV 📺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

Meh, I wouldn’t worry OP honestly. We all make mistakes, you even did yourself in the OP!

As a slight aside I often find it amusing that some people can offer so little insofar as intelligent discussion they will seek to pick out errors in spelling or grammar of a post they are replying to.

That one is always funny to me. So what if someone uses the wrong version of “your” or “there” if you understand what they meant does it really matter? I don’t think it’s a marked sign of intelligence necessarily and certainly doesn’t take away from someone’s argument.

I also suspect it’s some part due to autocorrect which in my experience doesn’t offer correction when the wrong “your” or “their” is used in a sentence. It’s funny if you stop people these days and ask them to spell a word they can get stuck because you kinda don’t need to know how to spell anymore with modern phones and computers you just need to be able to spell it roughly how it should be and spell check/autocorrect will do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Emblematic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

OP made some mistakes to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Could be wrong but I thought the 'lactose intolerant' example was more likely an example of speech to text through a phone. Similar sounding but correctly spelled words was the give away.

Your example is interesting as well. If we value brevity then the first one is more effective surely? But, there's obviously more going on in reality. I'd say linguists and psychologists have a bit to say about how we judge other people through that aspect of language (in-groups, out-groups and so on). There's a TD who says "should've went" all the time, and it used to grate with me, until I realised maybe it's a half conscious decision by him to keep on sounding like the people he represents, rather than "that shower up in Dublin". Irish voters would be very sensitive to stuff like that.

Just to make one other point, I agree there is often a dumbing down of meaning happening (for different reasons). The example mentioned earlier of "could care less" vs "couldn't care less" and the (weak) justification by the US website I mentioned.

A couple of the early usages of "could care less" they quoted were intended in an ironic/sarcastic tone, but that nuance of meaning has now been lost in the US as the two usages have exactly the same meaning now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭LastApacheInjun

Why is important? And what might be easy for you, might not be easy for someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I received a text from an apprentice once, "the holesaler is owny atta opening", which i presumed meant, " the wholesaler is only after opening", explaining their lateness. It always sticks in my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

The late, great Con Houlihan said "a man who can misplace an apostrophe is capable of anything".

(my phone mangled that a bit and I was tempted to leave it 😀)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is a damp squid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement