Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show | PK. ~~ New thread as you have to goto Page 206 of the older thread.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was poor - but was at least live , but sound was a mess - and lets be honest , you can't take a 20 year break and sing as well - they are very hard songs to sing , with complex key changes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Such a sh1te movie, even Brenda Fricker wildly swinging at drug dealers can't save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

They already seem to have largely dropped the current affairs and discussion ….. and replaced it 100% with celebrity and sportspeople interviews ….. for me this is samey and v boring ….. not many of these celebs are remotely interesting …. for all the talk of trying to return the show to Gay Byrne's style ….. Tubridy re-introducing the theme tune ….. Kielty having Gay's voice introduce him plus the Brendan O'Carroll look a like dancing from Gay's era shown in the opening credits ….. the show is in fact moving further and further away from anything Gay did …. it is now just silly and rather smutty ….. airhead and lightweight …..

Graham Norton's show for me is one of the most overrated ….. it works when there are good guests but that is not all the time ….. same goes for Seth Myers and all the US ones ….. for TLLS there are even less good guests ….. I think they made a huge mistake with this new format where there are no discussions and nothing other than celebrities and sports people …. copying Norton and US shows does not work and the show has become a borefest ….. Kielty is not the right man for the job IMV …. those intros and promos are cringeworthy ….. last night he is singing some song comprised of lyrics of the guests from his show !!!! …. we need someone who is more serious and more rounded ….. maybe Claire Byrne should have got it …. would love to see a debate focusing on those far right types and conspiracy nutters …. bring em in and roast them …..

This show is going from bad to worse …. boring celebrities and sports personalities is all we get …. Kielty's infantile antics do not help things either …..

Sadly true …. could be brought to the attention of Amnesty International !!! ….

Indeed …. the Late Late and the Irish soccer team are in the same boat ATM …..

There are plenty proper topics to talk about as you outlined ….. I do not recall any detailed talk about what Israel are doing to Palestine …. or how to solve refugee crisis …. or anything …. at least Tubridy had shows on Ukraine, Covid, etc ….. would love to see the Burke's and other far right/conspiracy theorists on and roasted ….. would make great entertainment ….. much better than seeing Rory McElroy or some smutty UK show host …..

Same here …. at least Tubridy had some interesting discussions …. now this is all gone …. 100% airhead …. wasn't that what most people criticised in Tubridy's show ??? … so RTE instead double down on the lightweight airhead drivel …. and remove what was good …..

Rylan and co are of that ilk …. Luv Island, Big Brudder, etc. have TV ruined ….. I will never ever understand the obsession with this junk ….. it is the most boring stuff ever …. and what is even worse than these shows themselves are people from them talking about them on chat shows …..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yep, the amount of those junk shows is getting ridiculous. I used to enjoy Gogglebox but now it seems to be full of clips from shows I don't want to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

thats why he is the only real match to gay byrne, he is able to let it flow and contribute to the fun. Tubridy and Pat Kenny couldn't do that. Could you imagine Clare Byrne interviewing Rylan she would be like a damp cloth killing the vibe. Daithi O shea would have the humour he would probably ask did Rylan ever think of playing gaelic football given his height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Show is even gicker now than when Tubridy hosted it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I don’t know the rugby rules, but how was he playing for Ireland if he’s only getting citizenship/passport now ?

The rule used to be you were eligible to play for a country once you had lived there for three years, it's since been changed to five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to change nationality for rugby I think u have to be a resident for 3 years,bit of a joke, but that's a different argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I don’t think this is true. The Dubliners segment last week was serious, the Mary McAleese interview last year was serious… I think it’s only a matter of time before they host some sort of political discussion - maybe, given Kielty’s interests, something about North-South relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Whilst it was a welcome change the North did overly dominate his first season - but fair enough , topic was totally neglected for years.

But so many topics we could have a right old debate like old late late - and let the headcases loose - RTE is dying due to editorial control .

1. Housing - have it out
    2. Low tax of tech sector / tax exiles
    3. Get absolute head case right wing lads on - and bang it out.
    4. Money being spent on refugee housing / hotels - a national scandal not covered yet
    5. HSE / Children's hospital - why are we messing up so many projects
    6. Public transport / cycle lanes
    7. United Ireland
    8. The Burkes - have to get them on - would be legend
    9. Sex abuse cases / Church in Ireland
    10. Israel
    11. USA
    12. Russia
    13. UK
    14. Joe Brolly
    15. Irish soccer structures - what is wrong - get experts on ground on
    16. Funding of GAA / is it amateur or not / is it over dominating Irish sport
    17. Irish language / education

Now I know most of them are covered in more serious shows not the Late Late - and maybe there is a logic to changing the show to banal boring shite talk show.

But - whilst The Late Late was always a crazy show of variety , they have gone a bit soft and a big fake laugh every second.

As for the daft games to fill time - sure show is already much shorter - what is all that about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed last night's show. Sure it was not as good as last week's show but he had three good gests on and one nobody on. Saoirse Ronslan was really good and greet to see how grounded and down to Earth she still is. The Rugby player too. Just wish he speaked louder could barely hear him and Snow petrol were really good too as for that other fellow doing tge cheap show he was a nobody as far as I am concerned and full of himself.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

But so many topics we could have a right old debate like old late late - and let the headcases loose - RTE is dying due to editorial control .

1. Housing - have it out
    2. Low tax of tech sector / tax exiles
    3. Get absolute head case right wing lads on - and bang it out.
    4. Money being spent on refugee housing / hotels - a national scandal not covered yet
    5. HSE / Children's hospital - why are we messing up so many projects
    6. Public transport / cycle lanes
    7. United Ireland

Thats what prime time and all the current affairs shows are there for, We need light relief from all that. In Gay Byrnes time he did do the topical stuff but it wasn't the major part of the show, comedy, music, celebrity ( gay byrne had great pulling power to pull in the top movie people) was the majority . He also had alot of exentric and oddball guests aswell ,like David Icke which nobody since him has really done. But when they play back clips of gay byrne late late show, its always the annie murphy thing, or the condom thing that they play back giving the impression that Byrne was doing so much serious stuff, he wasn't, thats a false analysis.

When Tubridy took over he killed the whole comedy , light entertainment vibe and turned it into a misery fest which climaxed with all the covid stuff, he could never recover from all that

The Late Late Show is a victim of its times ….. we are living in the worst era of 'entertainment' ….. awful music dominates the charts ….. smutty comedy reigns supreme ….. and Big Brudder/Luv Island define TV ….. Gay Byrne did not have all this to contend with ….. things were much better ……

This is why shows about Covid, Ukraine, etc. were much more watchable than 'light entertainment' ….. or lightweight drivel more like it …..

I get the feeling some in RTE think this should be all about laughs and jokes ….. sadly the fare they serve is not funny ….. smut and the latest flavour of the month modern pop band or modern 'country' singer ….. plus the latest reality star ….. this Rylan guy whoever he is = exactly the type of guest NOT to have …..

Bring back the mediums and psychics …… and bring on the Burkes and Derek Blighe, Philip Dwyer, etc ….. and roast them ….. that would be entertainment ….. would love to see the Burkes fly off the handle when confronted ……

This show has to move past 'celeb' stuff and 'light entertainment' ….. and maybe go down the confronting far right politicians, self styled 'shamans' and so on instead …… plus some culture ….. maybe have seanachais on ….. historians …… people who know our culture ….. plenty can be done with this show besides smutty comedians, reality 'stars' and bad modern music …… all it takes is a bit of invention …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

On 10 May, World Rugby voted at its Council meeting in Kyoto, Japan, to increase the period of residency to become eligible for an international team from three years to a more stringent five years[1]. This amendment will be effective from 31 December 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

I don't think Kielty did well with the Ronan interview. He wouldn't stop the sycophantic 'you are great' stuff, it was nauseating. He is not usually that bad. In fairness to her, she handled it well, while being bemused by it.

It's better than the misery stuff from Tubridy but there is a danger of going too far the other direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The show no longer has a misery slot so for me, for friday night tv, thats guaranteed better than Tubridy.

To be fair, he had a Hollywood star, a uk TV personality and an Irish Rugby star. That's along way ahead of Tubridy era where you might have a retired rte staffer pushing a book followed a promo piece for a new rte show with the 'stars' being introduced followed by another random guess who too often was so random, they could only have been filling in for a no show guest.

• Advertisement

The show has gone too far the other direction imv ….. at least the 'misery slot' was something contrasting with the constant silliness this show has turned into in recent years ….. reality TV 'stars' and idolatry of the mediocre has become a way of life for this show ….. not talking about Saoirse Ronan here to get it straight …. she is good at what she does …. but talking about another guest on it that typifies what this show has turned into ……

The show needs to address the silliness and balance itself with proper serious discussion, cultural issues and so on …. it cannot be all 'laughs' and 'jokes' ….. most people who remember Gay's era talk about the discussions and the genuine cultural entertainment sections sadly lacking today …..

I think it is worse than Tubridy ….. that UK TV personality was in no way interesting ….. they are the same as Tubridy had only maybe from another country !!! …. when will RTE get it that these types are not at all interesting and have nothing to offer ….. plus it is ok to have sports stars on sometimes but 3 out of the 4 slots of the past 2 shows were sports people …. some people are not interested and it needs to be more balanced ….. Rory McElroy and/or the Olympians should have been on different shows not the same one …..

I did not care for Tubridy much or Pat Kenny ….. but they had a better mix than Kielty ….. as all Kielty is doing is interviews of 'stars' and it is 100% lightweight ….. he cannot move past this type of show it seems which makes him less versatile than Kenny or Tubridy ….. Claire Byrne should have got it and move it in another direction ….. as all Kielty is is Tubridy taken to the extreme sans the good parts ……

Yes, I agree about the excess of Northern guests. It’s a widespread feeling among Northern nationalists that they have been forgotten about in the Republic, and it felt to me like a concerted effort to rectify that. I think it should have been done more gradually.

To me, most of what you’ve listed are topics for Prime Time. The Late Late Show is at its best when hosting a ‘national conversation’, giving a platform to issues that have transcended politics and become conversations around the dinner table.

Bring back the mediums and psychics …… and bring on the Burkes and Derek Blighe, Philip Dwyer, etc ….. and roast them ….. that would be entertainment ….. would love to see the Burkes fly off the handle when confronted …

you don't need to "roast" them, that was also the mistake Tubridy made he went all hot and heavy with controversial guests he and RTE considered undesirable and it looked very biased, Gay Byrne never did that you could see his master class in action in the famous Pauric flynn interview where flynn gave all the controversial details of his "lavish" lifestyle by 1999 standards . Patrick Kielty in fairness does not have all the RTE and irish media land hang ups either and comes across as neutral in those topical interviews

Yes, I agree about the excess of Northern guests. It’s a widespread feeling among Northern nationalists that they have been forgotten about in the Republic, and it felt to me like a concerted effort to rectify that. I think it should have been done more gradually

obviously patrick kielty being from the north was going to give the show a northern flavour, the fact that it was so obvious to many people merely reflected the fact that they have been way under represented for years on RTE. I think it was actually very healthy as it shows the different cultural influences on this small island even among nationalists north and south. It breaks up the insularity and self absorbtion that we see on RTE and was especially evident with Tubridy , he was like a fish out of water when talking to a genuine A list guest, Kielty has none of those hang ups

Simply his presence would have given it a Northern flavour. It was quite another thing to remake the guest-list in his own image in his very first season. It’s ridiculous to over-represent a region and then blame under-representation when people notice.

As for Tubridy being a fish out of water, while I agree, I don’t think Kielty was far off in some of his interviews, especially the one with Conan O’Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

KITTEHS!

PUPPEHS!

AND!

Rhasidat Adeleke!
    The Script!
    Hector Ó hEochagáin!

PLUS!

Patrick will be going live to a secret location where country music fans will have the chance to get their hands on the last pair of audience tickets for ‘The Late Late Country Music Special’ , which takes place next week!

SHUDDER!

Advertisement