Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finance outstanding

• 13-09-2024 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hello All

I'm looking at a car tomorrow in a franchise garage (Skoda dealer). It's a 212 . Garage said that car was owned by a couple .

I did a cartell report and see it has 2 owners. First owner only had it for 7 months. Does this look like a ex demo car?

Also it's coming back as having finance owed but commencement date is 9th August 2024? This is a very recent date for finance to start as 2nd owner bought car in 2022. Can anyone think what this means?

Am I safe buying this from a proper garage ?

PAT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭goochy

Don't think garages are listed as owners ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

It's likely that the garage have financed the car rather than a previous owner

My other half had the same experience when buying a few years ago. When the garage took the car in from previous owner, they raised finance on the car while it was sitting on the forecourt. When the car was sold, the finance was cleared .

Common practice, I understand.

The garage will confirm for you if this is the case.

Why would a garage raise finance on one car ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Demonstrators are generally kept by dealers for 3 months, not 7 months. 7 months would suggest that it might have been a dealer courtesy car or more likely a rental/hire car.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pat201

Should I worry since it is a main dealer that's advertising car ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Would you be financing it… if that’s the case the finance would be refused as some other company has a lean on the car.

No I'd be purchasing outright. I just don't understand why a main dealer would take finance out on a car they are selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Its completely normal. All big dealers take out finance on all their cars. Otherwise they would have millions of euro tied up in cars on their forecourt. Its called a Stocking Loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They take finance out to buy the cars into stock.

I assumed they just had a big loan of say a few million

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I will feedback how I get on. Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd imagine they used to do it that way but likely banks wanted some security against their lending.

I'm sure in the past dealers have gone bust with huge overdraft/loan and banks struggled to get money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Standard rolling credit secured on stock.

Keeps finance costs low as the finance company has a call on a physical asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Type of finance on the Cartell report is "US" - Unit stocking - there's very few dealers out that that don't use Unit Stocking for finance. Save tying up thousands, or hundreds of thousands of the dealers own money.

Advertisement