Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment I'm renting has gone into Receivership

• 13-09-2024 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone have experience of this? Have looked up endless stuff on what to do next but doesn't make it easier as the landlord is laying on the guilty text messages like me paying rent to the newly appointed receiver has cos them their apartment?! He's claiming he never got any documentation and that anyone can claim to be a receiver?! As occupier I have the paperwork saying otherwise. Has a landlord ever come back from this, as in overturn it through a loophole or renegotiate with lender? I would of thought it was game set match to lender at this point.

Anyone know anything different?

In between rock and a hard place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you've been given official notice of the receivership, then you pay your rent to the receiver and ignore your former landlord's requests to pay them instead. Your landlord's financial troubles are your landlord's problem, not yours, though unfortunately it is very likely that the landlord will now have little incentive to meet their legal obligations regarding your tenancy, so you can probably expect them to ignore any future requests for repairs or maintenance, and the chances of you getting your deposit back from them without a legal fight are probably slim.

If you do need urgent maintenance of some sort and the landlord refuses to do anything, you could try contacting the receiver; while the receiver is not your landlord and has no legal obligations relating to your tenancy, they may have a financial incentive to ensure that critical maintenance and repairs are carried out on the property in order to maintain its value and allow your tenancy to continue producing income, so they might be willing to arrange repairs if required, if the landlord is refusing to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That can't be right? Apartment gets taken over by a receiver, the tenant has to pay them instead, but the receiver has no obligation to the tenant/tenancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Truth is when things are that bad, peoples fight or flight function kicks in. Your landlord is in complete denial of the situation. There is a possibility it will drag down his own house mortgage. The Reciever is there to recover what he can in the interests of the creditors. You really need to ask the reciever what he plans to do with the property.

I would honestly expected the apartment to be on the market (bidx) as soon as it is legally ready to be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭JVince

Very simple, the receiver is now your landlord.

They will most likely appoint a property agent and that will be your contact for any issues.

The receiver will keep to all terms of the lease.

At some point the property will be sold and you will get a new landlord who may then decide they want the property, - but that's probably 2 years or more away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭niallm77

Has the company that owns the apartment been officially placed in receivership with the CRO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Correct; so long as the landlord still owns the property, the landlord is still legally responsible for the tenancy. The receiver only acts as an agent of the landlord in regards to certain limited matters, and is not involved in the tenancy other than collecting the rent money. If the property is repossessed by the bank, then the bank would become the landlord, but receivership is not repossession. This pamphlet explains the situation in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GPO JOHNNY

How do I find out about that actually, is there a site? It's not a company that's gone into Receivership it's a landlord and he's acting like me paying the first installment of rent to receiver has somehow been the smoking gun that has lost his apartment. It comes across like he's buried his head in the sand and not engaged with reality and will not accept the receivers as legally in charge of rent now. Luckily it was a short term lease and I always leaving in the spring anyway so issues about the maintenance of apartment hopefully won't tear it's head in the remaining months. I'm just worried about his threatening email of his solicitor and accusing me of not paying rent and currently I'm in arrears when the rent has gone to the receiver. Cheers for all the feedback folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 topal

Bear in mind the receiver might not honour your deposit. You should get them to confirm they will preferably in writing. The landlord isn't going to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭shimadzu

The reciever should have sent you a documentation pack including a deed of appointment and details surrounding their obligations to you as a tenant. They need to confirm that they will take responsibility for returning your deposit when the tenancy ends and that they are responsible for any future tenancy issues including maintenance. If they can't do that you continue paying rent to the landlord. If the landlord is not getting rent you can be sure they will not be returning the deposit or performing any maintenance and they will be able to argue that you breached the conditions of your lease by not paying your rent into the account specified in the lease on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The bank that appointed the receiver is now the landlord, not the receiver.

• Advertisement

Is the property registered with the PRAI? A copy of the Folio will show you which bank or fund has a charge on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You are confusing repossession with receivership. The role of the receiver is to act as agent for the landlord in collecting the rent any other sums due, a receiver does not take on any obligations, it assumes entitlements only.

In theory, yes I have read up on it and the receiver is supposed to be acting as an agent in terms of collecting the rent to manage debts but in reality this particular landlord doesn't except the appointment of the receiver whatsoever, he has emailed me telling me that anyone can just pretend they are a receiver as he claims he has not yet received legal documentation of the appointment. He tells us that he has instructed us to ignore letters and keep paying him. Before all this he was interestingingly enough trying to intercept mail coming to the apartment saying it wouldn't concern us as tenants and these were bank correspondence with himself but he was a bit slow off the mark with that and of course we opened mail that was addressed to us as occupants of the apartment and then we saw the clusterf**k situation we find our self in. Last week we paid the rent to the receiver and are in negotiations to agree on a date when we can move out. I just worry about the landlord not accepting reality and doing something desperate to keep the property.

The receiver is the agent of the landlord but is appointed by the charge holder (generally a bank or finance company). The receiver should be able to give you sufficient evidence of their appointment. If the landlord persists in its actions you should jointly notify the landlord and the receiver of your inability to remit the money until they provide adequate proof. Don’t withhold rent or threaten to withhold rent but actually hold the money pending satisfactory resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Put the rent in a savings account. Pay no one until you get legal instructions.
    Once you get a legal notice as to who to pay. Pay them what’s owed.

Nope. Whilst the receiver is appointed by the bank, he/she acts as the landlord until such time the receivership is over.

eg - when buying a property in receivership, the sale is still in the name of the person who owns the property, but the receiver is acting on their behalf and "receives" the funds and disburses them to themselves, the lending institution, and then any balance to the owner.

You do not play games "waiting for legal instructions" - That can start an eviction almost immediately as "non paying". A receiver is court appointed. If they send you a direction it is in effect a legal obligation. Saying you've "put the money into a savings account" will be laughed at

Receivers don't really care. Don't pay the rent or play games, they can put in motion eviction and won't give a toss and won't change their mind. Similarly, pay them, cause no hassle and you will have ZERO worries.

Posts by @dennyk actually explains it to a tee and the OP should heed those posts it their entirety.

I was in the exact same situation as the OP a few years ago. I didn't pay until their receiver's solicitor clarified who was to be paid. I did not get laughed at. On the contrary I got them to agree to cover the deposit which they initially said the landlord should pay (pull the other one).

So OP bare in mind your deposit is likely gone and plan accordingly.

You made a reasonable request to the receiver and most likely well in advance of the payment due date and did not play games.

The poster suggested awaiting "legal instructions" and to withhold payment / put into a separate account. That's not good advice.

At the end of the day, a receiver is appointed by a court and any official notice in writing from a receiver is in effect a legal notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Might be an opportunity to actually buy the apartment for yourself at a decent rate…no harm trying anyway

My experience was they gave as little information as possible and just wanted me to pay rent as soon as possible. Refused to send me any written confirmation or details of process. And the letter I eventually got from their solicitors was equally unhelpful and resorted to threats of legal action. Really felt railroaded by the whole process. If I didn't get advice on how to handle it from someone in the industry I would likely have been down a deposit.

• Advertisement

If you really want to make a nuisance of yourself OP mention to the letting agent you plan on knocking on your neighbours doors and letting them know their situation regarding the receivership.

That's correct. They want as little hassle as possible, so if the OP plays games as suggested by one poster, they go legal and you get evicted.

They actually did not need to send you a letter from a solicitor. If you had a query, you get your own independent legal advice - who would have told you the receiver was correct.

The deposit is a different matter as you (and they) are still bound by the terms and conditions of the lease. Most likely they needed to get a copy of the lease, read it, confirm the deposit paid and then confirm back to you. If the landlord has an issue with the receiver, that can take time.

It may be correct but from a tenants perspective it isn't right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it’s not as simple as you make out.
    The receiver needs to go through a process of issuing notices. When the tenant receive notice he can pay the rent and any notice will be void

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/old/Registration/Notice_of_Termination_-_Rent_arrears_0912-23.docx#:~:text=A%20tenant%20must%20receive%20the,of%20service%20of%20the%20notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Why are you moving out, if you like it and the rent is ok, keep paying your rent to the receiver and only move once they give you valid notice but first check with the RTB that the receiver can give you notice. Lastly and I know this is sneaky but I'd not pay the last month rent and tell them to keep your deposit instead, you'll never see it otherwise

Mostly agree with this but the law says the old landlord is the one who should return the deposit. There is close to zero chance of this happening however since they are already not paying the financial institution and are no longer taking deposits or rent.

in cases such as these, the receiver is almost never “court-appointed”, the receiver is appointed pursuant to the charge document attached to the loan. It is appropriate for the tenant to carry out minimum due diligence to establish that the receiver has been appointed to ensure that they don’t become doubly liable.

The bank is entitled to the rent and is therefore the landlord. The definition of landlord in the Tenancies Act is that the landlord is the person entitled to the rent, other than as agent for someone else. Since the receiver is an agent, he can't be the landlord.

The bank is entitled to the rent and is therefore the landlord. The definition of landlord in the Tenancies Act is that the landlord is the person entitled to the rent, other than as agent for someone else. Since the receiver is an agent, he can't be the landlord.

• Advertisement

Wow the discussion went into overdrive all of a sudden. Really appreciate the correspondence back and forth which is reassuring as I believe I have done the right thing.

Im moving out because my actual house will be finished refurbishment in the new year so I'm one of the lucky ones and don't have to worry about finding a home in such a situation. Regarding the deposit, again I was blessed as the "old" (if we are being official now) landlord said there was no need for a deposit, I think he knew this was all coming and he just wanted a short tenancy which suited us so we agreed to a 6 month tenancy plus extra time if needed regarding refurbishment. We paid the receiver the rent last month, I really felt for the "old" landlord but every single advice I look at says you must pay the receiver. Like someone said in another post the documentation of the appointment receiver attached to the loan and all sorts of notification documents were sent to us before we decided we had to pay the receiver. We just want to get the **** out of dodge in the new year because it sounds like the landlord has not accepted the appointment of the receiver and I don't want to be in the middle of something ugly. The receiver is deciding on when to notify us of any eviction orders but they seem to want to comply with our timeline. We just have to hope nothing breaks like the oven or something like that because like you are all saying, that falls between the cracks of the duties of the landlord with bithe the receiver and the old landlord shirking responsibilities no doubt.

Reading up on this , it seems a lot of these receiverships are on the rise so its reassuring to know people have knowledge on this it they need to help any posters on here. Thanks guys and gals

you really don’t understand the law. The bank is entitled to its interest and principal. Until such time as possession proceedings are taken and effected, the landlord remains the landlord. The bank has security over the property and when a receiver is appointed the receiver takes control of the rent proceeds and applies them to pay interest and principal. If any excess arises, it must be turned over to the landlord. The landlord or the person entitled to the rent has not changed - the receiver does not have a beneficial interest in the rent.

Advertisement