Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a short list of 4-5 cars

• 14-09-2024 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going electric. Currently in a 2017 Jaguar XE which hasn’t been as reliable as I would like the last 6 months (two break downs, one for a snapped belt which was a simple fix but still involved a tow, second a gear selector issue which is still TBD on the cost to fix; Either way don’t have time for that **** and there is 225k km on it so relatively high for the year but not a lot all in the grand scheme really).

There are far to many electric cars to try wade through.

So looking for a short list that I can start assessing for a change, probably in the new year. 

Criteria: all equal importance. 

1. Range need close to 500km if possible (have a 240km round trip commute that is done 2-3 times a week on 80 percent regional and local roads; average week on the region of 800km. 
    2. Reliability-need top of the table. Dont want these software bugs and stuff I read of. I understand alot of electric cars yet to stand full test of time. 
    3. Comfortable. A 3 hour commute needs to be in a relatively nice place.
    4. Less than 45k be nice assuming I can get a trade in of 10k for my own.

Alternatively I will just end up in a 5 series or a Octavia or what ever long range diesel.

Post edited by 893bet on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ev6

Ioniq 5

ID.4

Model Y LR

To be 100% clear none of them will do 500km but will get close. You'll need a quick top up to get home (15-20 mins or less)

If you have work charging then it's easier

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Thats a pretty ambitious list of requirements for €45K. My first thought is you’ll need to bend a bit on comfort or range to stay within your budget. Alternatively consider increasing the budget to say €55K to get a late 2022 or early 2023 Merc EQE. (They may drop further if you are waiting until the new year). I’m obviously thinking of something more comparable to a 5 series in terms of comfort rather than an econobox like an Octavia. Don’t underestimate fuel savings if you can mainly charge at home at night. This could be factored in to increase the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Loads of options except for criteria 1 - no car will do your commute without stopping to charge. In certain situations an EV like an EQE could do 500kms but you'd want everything to be perfect including temperature, speed, incline, driving style, wind, rain, traffic. It's just not going to happen.

So it depends on your attitude to stopping for a charge really. When I go outside range of either of my EVs (350 Kms or so) my stops have been only about 15/20 mins

There's an Audi A6 coming out that might do it, but it's going to be 80k, and I'll bet there will still be situations that it won't do it.

Ioniq 5 bigger battery

EV6

ID4/ID5/Enyaq/Q4

Tesla model 3 will have better range than equivalent Y

New Mégane has a big battery will get you closer to 500kms than anything above I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a 240km round trip. Really what I would want is a comfortable 1.5 trips. So that I could afford to forget to plug in and still get to work in the morning.

Have free charging at work (but I can’t see that lasting much longer).

Was looking more at model 3 but I guess if want a bit more comfort I should look upwards.

That changes things big time!

You've a world of choice, so you're only looking for 360kms and even at that you really only need 240kms assuming you plug in?

My 58kwh cupra and my extremely inefficient etron could be coaxed to 360kms if I had to and stayed off motorways

Look at anything with a 77kwh battery or above and you'll be grand

My 1st choice would be Kia EV6 if I was buying an EV today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€45k is the key here.
    Does the car have to be new?

Model 3

Model Y

ID4

eNiro

Kona

BYD Seal

BYD Atto

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭3d4life

How would you feel towards second hand ?

e.g.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/m3/order/LRW3F7ES2PC911192?postal=D13&range=50&coord=53.3897,-6.1515&region=IE&titleStatus=used&redirect=no#overview

Tesla throw in an extra year warranty ( so full warranty to Sept 2028 - if I have that right )

Yes, an extra years warranty and usually Enhanced Auto Pilot too.

Good call in terms of range/price/software but it’s no 5 series in terms of comfort. Would do the same job though.

Pretty much all the cars I listed should do 360km or close to it even on a cold day

I wouldn't worry too much about forgetting to plug in, it's something you get used to quickly and you can just set reminders on your phone

Worst case, you're a bit short on charge and stop at a fast charger for a few minutes (depending on your route and how available they are)

• Advertisement

prob over thinking that alright. And it’s the kinda thing where you make the mistake once and not again as it was a pain in the ass. I am reasonable organised for that kinda thing.

no doesn’t have to be new but definitely prefer a dealer sale.

Don't worry, everyone does it at least once. As you say, it tends to be something you only forget the one time 😂

You won't forget

An EV will save you a lot of money in fuel over an equivalent ICE for 45k, assuming depreciation is more or less the same in the future between all fuel types

That looks very nice. Biggest issue there would be I assume they don’t take non Tesla trade in.

In any case I am prob looking at January/feb but that is good for though. Assuming my car fix is straight forward I will be able to get a 2 years NCT on it at that point and ready for sale.

They do take non Tesla trade ins. But like many garages, they sub out the car details to various smaller dealers who bid sight unseen so the trade value is quite low.

Sell your car privately.

I drove a workmates Tesla model Y Dublin to Limerick and back yesterday. My first experience of them.

Very mixed feelings about them, it was a decent drive, excellent software (better than either of my cars) and the supercharger experience was better than anything I have encountered in other EVs

However,the external styling is atrocious and the interior just screams cheap.

They are probably the best cars out there at being electric but I just don't think I could get over the styling. However, rest of manufacturers and charge point providers, get the finger out and match Tesla software and charging experience and EV will take off

just had a “play” on the Tesla website and hadn’t realised how “cheap” a new 3 could be had for. Limited extra to distract you also which is good.

Are Tesla a reasonable comfortable drive? Solid on the road etc. I def understand the cheap look inside; not something that would really bother me.

As comfortable as any of its competitors, BYD, Kia, Hyundai, VW etc

Next step up is BMW, Audi etc but they have their own issues.

Recent years, made in China cars have been substantially better than the US cars (although I’ve had 3 US teslas without any issues, rattles or gaps like the internet would have you believe).

I have been in a china MY in recent weeks and the difference is big. The solid thump of the doors, double glazing etc

Only advice I can give is to drive a few different cars and see what you like.

The minimum interior of the Tesla is either a like or dislike (it’s one of my major pros), after that it’s just personal taste

Probably best to drive a Model 3 or Y yourself as you’ll get mixed opinions here. Some will say they are full of rattles etc. Others will say they’re a high end luxury car. The truth is probably somewhere in between but they have enviable tech for sure.
    Be warned, Tesla trade in is a joke no matter what brand of car you have to trade in. Private sale is the only show in town if you want to buy a new Tesla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭gossamerfabric

ID.7 but that is not in your budget. ID.3 on smaller wheels would be comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭User1998

Tesla Model 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Explorer?
    Apparently getting decent range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Byd Seal should be considered too, 48k new I think.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭freddieot

Interested in switching myself, probably an EV6. However my driving is mostly motorways when I do long journeys.

When you mention say 360k being reasonable on a cold day, is that at 120kph with heated everything, lights, wipers, radio etc. on or is it more turn as much off as possible and cruise around 100.

Not being smart, just would like some real world honest feedback. Driving slower for 2 or 3 hours increases the journey time as well, and reading through other posts I get the impression that it's almost a given that to get decent range it's necessary to do 110 at max. I've no interest in speeding but I've driven from Dublin to Cork for example and keeping close to 120 makes a difference in time. Same with trips up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

potentially interested in something similar myself.

Polestar seem to have some 2023 used models. 470km range (69kw battery?)

a contender at €35k ?

https://www.polestar.com/ie/preowned-cars/product/polestar-2/359967cb-afa2-423a-a150-7ba44ebe21c3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Plenty there even at 2024 regs some as late as March for 35k,

https://www.polestar.com/ie/preowned-cars/search-result/polestar-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Model 3 you'll be buying

Stay Free

€46k but yes I’m surprised I forget to add that to my list originally tbh.

• Advertisement

I would say 350km is what I'd expect at motorway speeds on a cold, rainy day. That's about 22kWh/100km which would be reasonable

There will be days when it's lower, was driving down the M1 in subzero temps against a strong headwind and the consumption was close to 27kWh/100km. That's probably the worst I've ever seen it

I'm not a great believer in slowing down to conserve energy unless there's a shortage of chargers. In general the car charges faster at a lower SoC with a warm battery so driving faster equals shorter charging stops

If you want to be more efficient then it's better to use seat heaters rather than setting the cabin temp higher. Preheating while plugged in also make a big difference. The rest of the equipment (lights, radio, wipers) don't make any significant difference to range

Cheers, that's great to know. That would be enough range for me gor nearly all my trips. I realise I'd have to stop once anyway on a round trip to Cork or wherever.

I'm just waiting now on kia to show details and prices for the 2025 refreshed model and I'll be taking a look at one. I see new details already showing on kia uk.

It's probably worth asking on the EV6 thread as well, everyone has different experiences (I'm in an ID.4 BTW 😉)

Dublin to Cork is pretty well served with charging hubs now so shouldn't be any problems finding a charger

I done dublin to Kilkenny in a Tesla Y.
    129km/h cruise control the whole way.

Averaged 16’ish kWh/100km.
    that puts that LR car range at about 470km at those speeds.

model 3 would be more efficient. As would the Ioniq 6 and EV6 would be similar to the Y.

Thanks. Thinking about the EV6 in particular as I currently have a Sorento Phev and it's great. My third sorento so know Kia is a solid option.

I'd like to keep a good average at 120 or slightly above. Glad to hear it's not a creep along situation at 105 ish. Apart from the extra time involved, i prefer not to be grouped up in a bunch of other vehicles doing the same.

I believe the latest 2025 EV6 has 5% extra range but even with the figures already mentioned it looks fine for my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did you get that 16ish in a LR or RWD? Also were you measuring from Naas or North Dublin? If North Dublin were you doing 129 along the M50 and the 100kph section to Naas?

I ask because the best we're managed on motorways in our LR is 170 Wh/km at 121 on the speedo.

Our long term average is 172Wh/km, and 50-60% of that would be Mway. 16ish is very impressive for an LR.

To answer the OP:

M3 LR AWD, but if you could get an M3 LR RWD (hen's teeth) it would tick your boxes.

BYD Seal

Kia EV6

VW ID 5

(some of the above would need to be 2nd hand)

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Bargaindigger.ie

Discover unbeatable deals on cars at www.bargaindigger.ie! Our new car section features a wide range of vehicles, from budget-friendly options to luxury models. Whether you’re looking to buy or sell, our platform connects you with the best offers and opportunities in the automotive market. Browse listings, compare prices, and find your perfect car with ease. Explore our car section today and take advantage of exclusive ads and promotions. Visit www.bargaindigger.ie for the best car deals and make your next automotive purchase hassle-free!

North Dublin.
    Stuck to the limit of 100 on M50 and Naas Rd. as notorious for speed hand as you know.

Then 129 wherever the limit was 120.
    2022 LR with 20” Inductions.

2020 M3P was 19kwh/100km for the same trip a few weeks before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not that you always forget. I've had it happen once where the car detected the plug wasnt isn't in correctly and it only drew minimum current. The first and last time that happened I went out to the car to go to an appointment expecting 80% but only had 35, which was fortunately enough for the one way journey. When plugging in now I always check the plug, the initial draw on hooking up (charger handshake) and for errors.

I've also had issues with the car not playing nicely with timers on chargers too.

So, it's not always the case that a fail to charge was because you forgot to plug in. If I was charging for a commute daily I'd always aim to have enough on return in the evening for 1) one way trip to nearest hospital, 2) enough to get me to my favourite ultra rapid en route to work.

Okay a lot of responses so thanks everyone m, very much interested in a Tesla at this point would likely probably go new as they seem reasonable value brand-new with full warranty in comparison to what I see is compared to the EV6 and Ioniq 5. 

From a Tesla warranty point of view if you have an issue and you are located not near the service departments which are from Google in Dublin and Cork. How is that handled? Are you getting the car towed directly to their centre? or do they send someone to you to fix or are there local authorised repair shops in Limerick/Galway et cetera that can complete repairs under direction of Tesla?

• Advertisement

AA will tow the car direct to sandyford if the car can’t be driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭gorm

@893bet Since you have a Jaguar, you could get a 2021/22 jaguar I-Pace in your price range if second hand is not a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Without reading through the whole thread, why do you need a 500km range when your commute is 240km?

Just plug it in at work/home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭User1998

Can prob work with 360 “real life” range which is 1.5 full commutes. Wouldn’t go with less.

Local Jaguar dealer Lyons customer service didn’t inspire me. If buying I am interested in the warranty so new feels best.

My car towed this morning anyway so wil get fixed and then consider my options. In the mean time going to work on getting a home charge in place anyway as a first step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ah ok. Probably should've read it so!

Even that's overkill if you've charging at both ends, which you obviously must have if you're planning 1.5 commutes.

But each to their own. Best of luck.

Just don't get a diesel whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Megastreisand

If comfort is major consideration I would urge the Op to get a drive in a Polestar 2. It's a noticeably smoother more refined drive than a Model3 and the big battery version would have the required range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭3d4life

Would one of the "sixty something" kW Leaf cars do that ?

( taking a dive into the cheap seats … )

It’d be very tight but they can be got very cheap;

https://ev-database.org/car/1144/Nissan-Leaf-eplus

• Advertisement
Advertisement